Help! Iron deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 66
Help! Iron deficiency?

The substrate is gravel and Eco-complete. I've also got root tabs in the substrate. I use Flourish, KH2PO4, KNO3 3x's per week via EI Method.
The tank is 60 gallons. Two 96W CFLs in 6700K.
My test kits are old and I've either broken or lost tubes so I've ordered kits for testing nitrate and phosphate. I've also got Plantex CSM + Boron on the way thinking the iron would help.
I have hard water (I can't remember the specific number but it's fairly high).
It's an established tank but I recently went from low light to high light with pressurized CO2. I had a little green dust algae show up. I increased CO2 and the algae hasn't spread since. Still kind of playing with the drop indicator and what shade of green it's supposed to be. But keeping it a lighter green has helped and the fish aren't stressed.

New leaves on my anubias nana are coming in rather yellow. I don't have green veins on the new leaves, the whole leaf is yellow. New leaves on my amazon sword are more pale than I'd like as well. These plants were added a little over a week ago.
I was thinking this is an iron deficiency. The sword is still growing in so perhaps the roots haven't reached the eco complete or the root tabs. I don't remember if amazon swords take any nutrients from the water column?

So I'm looking at suggestions on how to correct this or perhaps I need to just wait for things to be get more established?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	404154  



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sammie1; 12-15-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Sammie1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Baguio,Philippines
Posts: 47
I think it's nitrogen deficiency
Mujinfaye is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 66
Think I should up the KNO3? If so, by 1/4 tsp (currently doing 1/2 tsp) 3x's per week or should I do a one time larger dose than that and then keep up with an increase?

Replacement nitrate kit should be here tuesday. Unless anyone knows how much water the glass tube holes with the API kit? I have the drops but the tube is broken.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sammie1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New London Wi
Posts: 139
The tube hold 5ml.
cgorges is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgorges View Post
The tube hold 5ml.

K.

I'm going in. Wish me luck.

Bump: I dosed with ferts this morning at 7am CST.
The nitrate level is reading 20 ppm.

Should it be higher considering I had just dosed ferts?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sammie1 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
chinaboy1021's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2003
Location: toronto
Posts: 547
i thought the tube holds more, and the white line on it marks 5ml.
chinaboy1021 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Plant Whisperer
 
Zapins's Avatar
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 2,544
It is definitely not a Nitrogen deficiency. That starts in old leaves first and shows up as damaged leaves dying inwards from the tip of the leaf. It will not cause new leaves to be pale. This is because nitrogen is mobile within plants, so when the plant runs out of nitrogen from the water column and roots it takes it out of old leaves and moves it to the newest leaves which stay healthy looking for months.

Can you post photos of the other plants that have been in your tank for a while?

Honestly, I doubt iron deficiency, or any deficiency is going on. New anubias leaves frequently grow in slightly paler than old leaves, especially compared to emersed grown leaves which are usually very dark. On top of that a week isn't long enough to develop deficiencies assuming the plants were in decent shape to begin with. Furthermore, anubias are probably the last spwcies of plant to develop a deficiency since they grow so slowly.

My guess based on the one photo (more are needed to be sure) is that the plant is perfectly healthy and just needs a bit of time to settle in.

Zapins
Zapins is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (132/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,905
Not sure what you mean by Flourish, that is the name of a product line that includes all kinds of things, but assuming you mean Flourish Comprehensive (which is micros) Im inclined to think you're probably short on micros in general. It takes a whopping amount of that to equal EI levels, way more than the "recommended dose.

You use this calculator to get an idea how much. Punch in your values and select "premixed > flourish comp." So unless you are dosing similar amounts, there's a good chance you are low on micros, possibly including, but not limited to iron. The csmb-b may remedy the problem, or at least rule out micros as a possibility.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




burr740 is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
It is definitely not a Nitrogen deficiency. That starts in old leaves first and shows up as damaged leaves dying inwards from the tip of the leaf. It will not cause new leaves to be pale. This is because nitrogen is mobile within plants, so when the plant runs out of nitrogen from the water column and roots it takes it out of old leaves and moves it to the newest leaves which stay healthy looking for months.

Can you post photos of the other plants that have been in your tank for a while?

Honestly, I doubt iron deficiency, or any deficiency is going on. New anubias leaves frequently grow in slightly paler than old leaves, especially compared to emersed grown leaves which are usually very dark. On top of that a week isn't long enough to develop deficiencies assuming the plants were in decent shape to begin with. Furthermore, anubias are probably the last spwcies of plant to develop a deficiency since they grow so slowly.

My guess based on the one photo (more are needed to be sure) is that the plant is perfectly healthy and just needs a bit of time to settle in.

Pictured is some Wisteria I planted probably 3 weeks ago, two of which was under low lighting. Again, high lighting started 3-4 days ago. When I got the Wisteria, it was barely poking out of the substrate.
The Anubias was in good shape when I got it. It was potted and at the LFS submersed. If I look real close, I can see some spots of lightening color in the older leaves. But the lighting has changed too.

Everything is pretty new. I have one java fern that I've had a while and it shows deficiencies however it's to be expected as it had been severely neglected until a week or so ago. We were having work done on the house and the tank was in another room piled with crap around it. So it went for months being severely neglected. It's leaves are green but have some pin holes.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Not sure what you mean by Flourish, that is the name of a product line that includes all kinds of things, but assuming you mean Flourish Comprehensive (which is micros) Im inclined to think you're probably short on micros in general. It takes a whopping amount of that to equal EI levels, way more than the "recommended dose.

You use this calculator to get an idea how much. Punch in your values and select "premixed > flourish comp." So unless you are dosing similar amounts, there's a good chance you are low on micros, possibly including, but not limited to iron. The csmb-b may remedy the problem, or at least rule out micros as a possibility.

Yes, flourish comprehensive. 5ml 3x's per week.
Used the calculator and good gawd!
Will the Plantex CSM + Boron be a suitable replacement for the flourish comp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	404218  



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sammie1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Plant Whisperer
 
Zapins's Avatar
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 2,544
Your second plant picture looks normal as well. Let the plants settle in for another two weeks or so, they should keep growing well. It can take a while for plants to recover from a bit of neglect.

The anubias leaf will very likely become steadily more dark green as it ages. This is because new leaves often do not have fully developed chlorophyll (green pigment) and it takes time for it to reach the mature leaf concentration.

Also, java ferns naturally tend to develop ratty looking old growth. It is almost never a sign of deficiency. It is part of the natural life cycle of the plant since baby ferns grow at the tips of old leaves the leaf needs to decay to detach the plantlet when it becomes mature. This process of allowing old leaves to decay often looks similar to deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
Will the Plantex CSM + Boron be a suitable replacement for the flourish comp?
For micros, yes most people use CSM+B instead of flourish comp. There are more elements listed in the flourish comprehensive's ingredients, but the extra elements are not essential to plant growth, and the benefit of having them in the mix is not clear.

Zapins
Zapins is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Chris_Produces's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 555
Nothing looks wrong with these plants. These look great.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris_Produces is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome