Just planted my first tank - need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just planted my first tank - need advice

So I just planted my first tank two days ago. I have attached pics and will give some details about the tank. My primary questions are when should I add fish and how much lighting to use?

I currently have two bulbs: Life-glo (6700k) and power-glo (18000k)

I have a light timer and plan to do 6 hours on a day for now. Is the power glo too much?

The substrate is Red Sea max mixed with florite. The large plants came from a guy on craigslist and the smaller ones I bought online. EDIT: this may or may not be relevant but I also got all the substrate from this guy on CL, it was a 5 gal bucket worth and filled my tank perfectly. He says he only used it for a few months.

Did some water tests this morning and the results are:
Ammo - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5?
Ph - 6.6-7.0

I posted pics so you can do your own interpretation. I followed the testing advice listed here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post1960797 about banging the bottles for the nitrates etc, so those results should be pretty accurate.

I just want to know what the next step is... I got my plants in there, tank cycled (I think) and my fish are chilling in a bucket. Just wondering what everyone thinks about putting them back in the tank, and how to proceed and make sure my tank flourishes from here!

PS I added a little leaf zone but for the most part dont plan on using too much fertilizers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	404113  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	404121  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	404129  

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	404137  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

Your nitrates are a little low, you want them around 15 ppm. You have low light specie of plants so your lights are probably ok. Since your ammonia and nitrites are 0 you should be safe to add the fish. Just to be sure, how long have you been cycling the tank? To get your nitrate up just dose a little more ferts. The fish may help a little in getting the nitrates up.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

I see a red pigmented plant... so not so low light requirement quite possibly high

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It usually takes about three weeks for a tank to cycle.
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
I'm not familiar/w Red Sea sub so I don't know if that is one of the kind which leach ammonia. Dirt subs often do.
http://www.aquariumforum.com/f66/fis...cle-15036.html
If you are going to add fish now you should get some Tetra Safe Start.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
It usually takes about three weeks for a tank to cycle.
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
I'm not familiar/w Red Sea sub so I don't know if that is one of the kind which leach ammonia. Dirt subs often do.
http://www.aquariumforum.com/f66/fis...cle-15036.html
If you are going to add fish now you should get some Tetra Safe Start.
I got the tank off craigslist and it was already cycled, I just had the filter running a few days before planting and ran tests to make sure everything was still good, but the tests showed that the bio filter was fine.

And since the dirt sub is old it shouldnt be leeching too much of anything

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish jihad View Post
Your nitrates are a little low, you want them around 15 ppm. You have low light specie of plants so your lights are probably ok. Since your ammonia and nitrites are 0 you should be safe to add the fish. Just to be sure, how long have you been cycling the tank? To get your nitrate up just dose a little more ferts. The fish may help a little in getting the nitrates up.
Okay... Im going to go ahead and add the fish back in then since I dont want to leave them in the bucket too long
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Ah...that explains why you already have fish in a bucket...
Watch the leaves on the Anubias for GSA. Compare the old to a new leaf. You can shade it to help stop the GSA but IF it does start to get any noticeable amount of it that says the Power Glo is a bit much. For the faster growing plants it should be OK, but just a bit higher than you might want. I can't guestimate the height of that tank too well.
@18" above the sub, it's a tad much, but higher than that and it's good for the med growth plants. You can also just use 7 hrs of it if it causes the GSA @8 or 9 hrs.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keep on checking the ammonia for another week and do 50% water changes as needed if the level gets too high.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

looks like that can turn into something pretty sweet!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just looking at the big sword plant in the middle. You got a good deal that plant is huge already. When you bought it was it grown submerged? It looks like it has leaves that were grown above the water. (long stems and short leaves) Most times those leaves will start to turn brown in a few days as the plant starts to throw out new leaves.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Ah...that explains why you already have fish in a bucket...
Watch the leaves on the Anubias for GSA. Compare the old to a new leaf. You can shade it to help stop the GSA but IF it does start to get any noticeable amount of it that says the Power Glo is a bit much. For the faster growing plants it should be OK, but just a bit higher than you might want. I can't guestimate the height of that tank too well.
@18" above the sub, it's a tad much, but higher than that and it's good for the med growth plants. You can also just use 7 hrs of it if it causes the GSA @8 or 9 hrs.
This is my tank specs: http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Prod...00000000009300

The distance is 55 cm or ~22 inches. I have about 3" of sub but the light is probably 3" off the top of the tank too.

I will bump it up to 7 hours (from 6) and keep and eye on the anubias. I have done some reading about GSA and it seems people recommend dosing excel to prevent this. I may just start doing that because it will promote the growth of my plants anyways from what I read.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
Just looking at the big sword plant in the middle. You got a good deal that plant is huge already. When you bought it was it grown submerged? It looks like it has leaves that were grown above the water. (long stems and short leaves) Most times those leaves will start to turn brown in a few days as the plant starts to throw out new leaves.
I paid $60 for that plant + the java ferns + all the substrate the guy was moving I got lucky. And it was submerged... he had it in a 60g cube (24" x 24" x 24"). The java ferns came with a decent amount of algae on them but I put them in anyways. Any advice on this? The big plant I am afraid the leaves are too close to the light. Some leaves are getting tiny seaweed-looking algae on the edges. Not sure if this will go away or not, but I think being so close to the light may have something to do about it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The algae on the leaves of the Sword may indicate that it's too close to the light. The Sword needs a tablet with micronutrients in it placed under the roots deep once every 2-3 months depending on how it's doing. I have used Seachem Root Tabs and I like them. I noticed the difference wheen I started using them. Try raising the light fixture another 4" and see if that helps too. At this point plants are particularly vulnerable to algae and it just may be too much light.

For right now, the plants are probably still recuperating froom being moved, their roots and everything. There may be some leaf loss but once they're settled in you should see new leaves coming up one after the other. They also can reproduce vegetatively, at least my Sword did. Twice.

You are ultimately the one to decide what advice to take and what to discard.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I paid $60 for that plant + the java ferns + all the substrate the guy was moving I got lucky. And it was submerged... he had it in a 60g cube (24" x 24" x 24"). The java ferns came with a decent amount of algae on them but I put them in anyways. Any advice on this? The big plant I am afraid the leaves are too close to the light. Some leaves are getting tiny seaweed-looking algae on the edges. Not sure if this will go away or not, but I think being so close to the light may have something to do about it.[/QUOTE]

Yes it sound like you have to much light. Every time I have seen a break out of algae I have cut my lights back and it has helped. You could also get some floating plants to cut some of the light. Have you started to see any new growth on the sword yet? They grow a new leaf almost every other day. I grow most of my swords in pots because they will grow so much roots that you won't believe it. As time goes on they will out produce all the other plants. If your interested I use potting soil in the containers and cap with sand and gravel. Easy to pull out and prune. As your plants grow trim off the algae cover leaves it hard to remove it any other way and it will still be on the leaf and regrow.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yes it sound like you have to much light. Every time I have seen a break out of algae I have cut my lights back and it has helped. You could also get some floating plants to cut some of the light. Have you started to see any new growth on the sword yet? They grow a new leaf almost every other day. I grow most of my swords in pots because they will grow so much roots that you won't believe it. As time goes on they will out produce all the other plants. If your interested I use potting soil in the containers and cap with sand and gravel. Easy to pull out and prune. As your plants grow trim off the algae cover leaves it hard to remove it any other way and it will still be on the leaf and regrow.

Thanks for following up! I actually posted this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=783402

and got some advice on cutting off some leaves. Someone also pointed out that my under-fed bristlenose may be the culprit with the leaves being gnawed up (and therefore causing algae?) anyways I did some major chopping yesterday and cut off about 40-50% of the leaves. There is new growth from the crown at the bottom so that is promising, also a runner trying to break the surface. Not exactly sure what this is going to turn into but Im excited to see. There is a pic of that on my other thread. Overall the tank is doing well!

I am open to the idea of potting the sword, I don't want my tank to turn into a sword jungle lol
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

have you planted the anubius and java fern i the substrate??? there rhizome shouldn't be burried else they will ro and die.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode