Tank help please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank help please

Hi everyone.

I just got into the hobby back in February. Everything has been great up until now. The trouble just started recently. My otocinclus died and I'll admit it was my fault. I didn't do enough research and starved it to death. Since then my betta hasn't been as active but nothing else obviously noticeable. I moved him to a 1 gallon bowl then I noticed my two neon tetras just hiding at the bottom of the tank and not eating as usual.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.5

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1418504116059.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	403585  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What's the temp at?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry about that, 76F

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear about your oto. They're very nice little fish, but a lot of people have trouble keeping them.

Ideal temperature for a betta is going to be 76-82 Fahrenheit, whereas neon tetras do better between 74 and 80.

Both neons and otos do better and are more active in larger numbers. You might want to consider getting 3 or 4 more neon tetras. If you do, you should quarantine them for at least 2 weeks before putting them in your tank, since neons seem to be very susceptible to disease.

EDIT: My internet connection was screwy. sorry about that. Your temperature should be fine where it is.

Last edited by Raaan; 12-13-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Correcting doubled text
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish may hide when they are not feeling socially comfortable. Neons are schooling fish, and ought to be kept in groups of at least half a dozen, and a dozen or more is better. Obviously the size of the tank may dictate the size of the school. I could easily see half a dozen plus a Betta and an Oto in a 10 gallon.

Neons prefer a cooler tank, but 76* might be a reasonable compromise.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower

Is the betta bullying anybody? I feed my Otos diatoms from my lower lit betta tanks that are always full of diatoms. Every so often I switch up decor or plants when they're brown. The Otos go to town and clean everything up and then I put it back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

the neons are not socializing. they have a school mentality/security blanket.

i have a shoal in my tank, and they do seperate, but come back together all throughout the day, add 4 more neons and they should all be moving around swimmingly
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
My neons started to come out of hiding when I put floaters in the tank. Lots of light and fear of a predator from above will push them to a corner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower

i dont have floaters, but the surface is broken up by sword leaves, and driftwood. could be whats going on with mine socializing
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Just from the photo above, you have a bright red predator hanging out at the top, with only 2 tetra in the tank they are scared, will eventually stress out and die. They are braver in bigger groups like others have said. I would add some duckweed and just keep it in check. You betta will like the floaters as well.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well just an update... The betta passed last night. I almost certain there wasn't an issue of fear. They've been tank mates for over 6 weeks. The tetras actually started hiding after I pulled the betta out. They're in the corner but one of the of them is starting to come out a little further.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode