Help Please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Help Please!

I have a 125 gallon aquarium that is 72" long and 22" high. I purchased a 72" QUAD Odyssea t5 HO light thinking I was going to do a heavily planted aquarium but I decided to get earth-eater fish and a heavily planted aquarium is not possible. I have attached a link to the fixture so you get a better idea of the light since it is a little weird:

http://www.aquatraders.com/72-inch-4...re-p/52307.htm

As you can see, the bulbs dont span the entire 72" but there are two bulbs to the right and two bulbs to the left. I thought when I turned on 2 lights, it would be one on the left and one on the right but that is not the case. It turns on both on the left OR both on the right. This means I cant light the entire 72" of the aquarium with just 2 lights unless I remove 2 bulbs from the fixture.

-My question is, can I get 2 other bulbs that could help make my aquarium look better that wont add excessive PAR or algae growth to my tank so I can run all four bulbs? Do such bulbs exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

Can you put two dead bulbs in?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
This should be a very easy thing to rewire if you have some basic tools.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You could just rewire the end caps so opposing lights are on each ballast instead of the way it is now.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You could just rewire the end caps so opposing lights are on each ballast instead of the way it is now.
That is true... how hard would that be? would an electrician do that for relatively cheap?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebesiteuthis View Post
This should be a very easy thing to rewire if you have some basic tools.
what tools would I need?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
Can you put two dead bulbs in?

Im pretty sure i could do that but I was wondering if there is a bulb that makes your plants and fish POP without adding light intensity. would actinics work?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Or you can reduce the amount of light by using screening under the fixture.

Bump: Rewiring is normally not difficult but it may depend on how the wires are attached. You may have to replace or switch the wires around just to get the required length from the ballast to the lamp holder. Sometimes removing the existing wires can be difficult just because of the terminal design but there is usually a way and it often involves using something small and pointed to push the copper piece which grips the wire back in order to release it. There is normally a small hole near where the wire joins the holder. Maybe you'll be lucky and the wires will just be held on with screws.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Or you can reduce the amount of light by using screening under the fixture.

Bump: Rewiring is normally not difficult but it may depend on how the wires are attached. You may have to replace or switch the wires around just to get the required length from the ballast to the lamp holder. Sometimes removing the existing wires can be difficult just because of the terminal design but there is usually a way and it often involves using something small and pointed to push the copper piece which grips the wire back in order to release it. There is normally a small hole near where the wire joins the holder. Maybe you'll be lucky and the wires will just be held on with screws.
Thanks for the input guys. What do you mean by reducing the amount of light by using screening under the fixture? a glass top?

I really wish Odyssea had thought about this when they built the fixture... oh well. I guess I am going to have to open this sucker up and see if I can figure it out by myself. I have no experience with this stuff so it does make me feel uncomfortable. Dont want to do it wrong and start a fire or something like that. Any more suggestions or tips on how to rewire this bad boy?

Bump: also, will rewiring the fixture effect the built in timer?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

before I go trying to rewire this, is there a bulb that wouldnt contribute to algae growth but would make my tank look better? do colormax bulbs add to algae growth?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

Any source of light is going to promote some kind of growth. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the higher temperature bulbs (10k+) have more output in the blue part of the spectrum, which isn't as beneficial to plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg49me View Post
Any source of light is going to promote some kind of growth. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the higher temperature bulbs (10k+) have more output in the blue part of the spectrum, which isn't as beneficial to plants.
Does this mean that they arent as beneficial to algae either?

Tags
125 gallon, lighting, low light, par, t5ho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode