Plant with Sand or start over - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant with Sand or start over

I have the same question basically as another poster. I started a 26 gallon with black Petco aquarium sand. Now I want to plant more than just the anubias I've had so far. What should I do? I bought Eco complete but I think it's just going to be a mess unless I can just literally mix it with the sand. I really don't want to start over. Recommendations? I want some vals and swords. It's a tall tank so the short plants are looking puny and lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
Vals and swards? Those are heavy root feeder and you would want to use some soil or MTS(messy) or Eco-complete is ok but you must also use root tabs. Dont mix EC with sand, what makes you think it would be a mess without mixing?

器材党
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Plant in sand. Add clay root or fert. Tabs.

Bump: At the roots of new plants.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Sand is Wonderful

Hi,

Root tabs or Osmocote, you will be just fine.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks. I guess I'll return the EC and get root tabs. I wasn't sure if the aquarium sand was adequate substrates. I did buy some very nice rubber plant anchors, so planting is not a problem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Sand is Wonderful

Hi,

Sand is my favorite substrate, over time the fertilizers, the nutrients enrich the sand, the roots easily work their way through the substrate and becomes a powerful biological filter as well.

It sounds like a very nice tank and you have a good start.

Two to three inches of sand is ideal, do not worry about it if you didnít start that way. Adding substrate is a mess and if you wish to make a change it generally just as well to re-scape the tank, start over.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks. You all saved me a lot of work. How often do you replenish root tabs and are they the only means of fertilizing the sand?

I see someone mentioned osmacote. If you put that in capsules, is it just as good as root tabs? It's way more cost effective.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-11-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess newb View Post
Ok, thanks. You all saved me a lot of work. How often do you replenish root tabs and are they the only means of fertilizing the sand?

I see someone mentioned osmacote. If you put that in capsules, is it just as good as root tabs? It's way more cost effective.
I'm also interested to know -- where do you guys prefer to buy your root tabs, clay, and/or osmocote? Is there a brand or supplier you prefer? I see some DIY root tab sales and I'm not sure what to think...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

I buy my osmocote at home depot, you can also find them at walmart. I replace mine every 6month but it depends on how heavy your plants' root consume nutrition from substrate and how deep they are buried under. And yes, they work as good or better than most of the root tabs we can find on the market.

器材党
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it was me I would plant the swords in pots. There roots will take over the whole tank and out compete a lot of other plants. I use plastic water bottles cutting off the bottom and filling with potting soil caped with sand and then gravel. Easy to take out and prune. I hide the pots in the sand are behind rocks. I have vals growing out of the sand and give them a root tab every other month.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Osmocote Plus

Hi,

I like Osmocote Plus, this is the best root supplement, ever and not just aquariums other container plants as well. I add more every 4-6 months, kind of depends on what I see and sometimes I look (dig) around and see the condition of the granules.

@ Huhu89151734 什麼樣的裝備什麼樣的黨的

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post

@ Huhu89151734 什麼樣的裝備什麼樣的黨的

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

hah I wrote that when I bought my Eheim 2076 a feel years back for my at that time the " future big tank" and ended up hooking it up on the 10g for the next two years. I looked at it and thought I must be somewhat a equipment junkie...

器材党
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I have everything planted that I had waiting to go in. the pot idea is great, but my tank doesn't have a lot of ground space and I didn't see that suggestion until after I was done, anyway. I guess I'll deal with those roots as time goes on. Waiting for the Val's to come. How many should I put in? I have 25 coming, lol. If anybody wants what's left over, let me know.

Btw, these plant anchors totally kick butt. I was putting off getting them because of the shipping costing more than they do but they were so worth it.

Bump: http://www.aquariumplants.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=1107
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1418324820826.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	402713  

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

Tank is looking good! You might wanna move those plants in the front a little further back and get some real foreground plants like Glosso. And another plant I really like for low tech tanks is water wisteria, would go well with your wood scape.

器材党
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=JoeRoun;7092417]Hi,

I like Osmocote Plus, this is the best root supplement, ever and not just aquariums other container plants as well. I add more every 4-6 months, kind of depends on what I see and sometimes I look (dig) around and see the condition of the granule.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB[/QUOTE

So you put them in loose, not in any kind of capsule?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode