How to stop evaporation? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to stop evaporation?

I have a 20 gallon long that I have to leave unattended for 3 weeks.Its at 81 degrees sitting in a room that stays around 70. The current evporation rate is 1/4 an inch or so a day. I do 1 gallon top offs every 5 days or so. Its open top with a HOB filte and 240gph cir pump.

I was thinking about a drip system from a suspended 5 gallon bucket. But how can I control the drip rate so it either has any effect at all(too slow) or over flows my tank and floods my room(too fast)?

Anyone been here before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Id just get a cover for the tank if I were you. All my tanks are covered as I have the same problem and im too lazy to top off 10 tanks every day lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you think that would stop evaporation enough to maintain for 3 weeks? My fear is the water level dropping too low and the filter running dry

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Algae Grower

at 1/4" per day you are looking at 5 1/4" of evap over 3 weeks. If you can cover the tank it will cut that down substantially. I would avoid a drip system with a bucket like the plague. if you are going to go down the road of refilling the tank, look into float valves, you can buy them at harware stores or places like tractor supply, they let water in when the float is down and stop the water when it is up. They are not perfect, and it would require a little bit of plumbing, but its way better than a drip system you cant control. one note is that if you have inverts in the tank, most of the float bodies are made out of brass

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...ss-float-valve

lots to learn...

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe your tank will get to 100 degrees if you cover based on the current 20 degree above ambient rates

have someone come over or just fix it up when you get back

I advise do not start experimental drip with no verified testing

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post
I believe your tank will get to 100 degrees if you cover based on the current 20 degree above ambient rates

have someone come over or just fix it up when you get back

I advise do not start experimental drip with no verified testing
Ah no. If the tank is warmer than the ambient temp of the room it's because that is where they have the heater set. The heater will maintain that temp setting with the tank covered or uncovered. If the tanks heats up to 100 it's because of a faulty thermostat on the heater NOT because of a tank cover.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cover it. Three weeks is no problem with a cover.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
A covered sump would allow you to top-up to the sump and not the main tank. The overflow(s) maintains the water level in the tank, and the water amount change would show up in the sump.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012

Last edited by Django; 12-09-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: clarity
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

alright, cover it is. Thanks.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Have I not seen a somewhat recent posting on a jug added to the top of the tank so that water is let into the tank as it goes down. Others remember seeing this? Looked very clean and slick but I don't remember the details.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Have I not seen a somewhat recent posting on a jug added to the top of the tank so that water is let into the tank as it goes down. Others remember seeing this? Looked very clean and slick but I don't remember the details.
Wow that is old school. Did it that way years ago in my reef sump. Upgraded to a float switch after a few weeks.. It works. Hardest part is making a bottle stand. It does have the potential to make a mess as it rushes in until the suction stop the water and the level can be a little inconsistent.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Wow that is old school. Did it that way years ago in my reef sump. Upgraded to a float switch after a few weeks.. It works. Hardest part is making a bottle stand. It does have the potential to make a mess as it rushes in until the suction stop the water and the level can be a little inconsistent.
I did not need it but it seemed to be a nice looking and very simple way to top off when a person is gone. No switches or valves needed, just simple water flow idea. Somebody here knows because they posted it not long back?

EDIT: I found the posting. This looks good to me.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...light=auto+top

Last edited by PlantedRich; 12-09-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Hana I remember that thread. Actually like the idea a lot besides the fact that it would change the params of the water as I am assuming its adding back tap water

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
thats like the hamster bottle topoff trick for nano reefs good call

take ball bearing out of end of hamster bottle or rabbit bottle or mutliples of them, tube goes in water and only dumps out until the level comes back up

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Hana I remember that thread. Actually like the idea a lot besides the fact that it would change the params of the water as I am assuming its adding back tap water
Only if you are putting tap water in the reserve. Put your favorite water in the reserve bottle and you get it in the tank when needed?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode