local aquarium manufacturer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
local aquarium manufacturer

So I actually found a local aquarium manufacturer that you can buy tanks, stands and all kind of different hardware accessories from at wholesale prices, and you pick them up at their warehouse.

I'm assuming that they more than likely build their own tanks... So that makes me wonder... should I trust these guys to purchase a tank from you think? I mean I know there's the big name tanks like Aqueon, Marineland, Tetra etc, but that makes me curious if I bought one of these tanks would I actually get quality and not come home one day to find water all over my floor and the tank broken. They also said they do not make any tanks larger than 55 gallons because they only have access to 1/4" Glass thickness.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by Blackheart; 12-09-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would check with prior clients. Ask to speak with someone who has had one (or more) of their tanks running for a few years. More recent clients may tell you how good they are to do business with (which may be helpful) but you want to know what the failure rate of their tanks is, and that takes a few years to show up.

Very suspicious that they cannot get thicker glass. If they really wanted it, they could get it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If he's local, there should be some experience within a local club or aquarium society. That's where I would start rather than ask for references. Nobody is going to put you in touch with an unhappy customer.

Glass Cages was another "smaller" manufacturer. If my fast fading memory serves me right, they are in Tennessee? They were another company that some folks had issues with sloppy silicone work, but from everything I read this was a cosmetic issue and largely a matter of aesthetics. May be worth looking into. Their prices were very much in line, but they delivered tanks to a central location where folks would pick them up. May or may not be convenient.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I initially was going to say of course you should be able to trust a local manufacturer. Anyone doing this as a profession should be able to put out a tank that'll hold water. Anyone with a decent eye should also be able to make it look nice. Hell, an amateur can make a tank that is structural sound. But if they limit themselves to tanks only 55 gallons or less I'd be a little suspicious. I could understand charging a premium for a larger tank but to claim they cant get glass thicker than 1/4" seems odd to me. Do they work with acrylic at all?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There are often times when the story we get is not exactly the correct story?
For instance in this case, it may be more a matter of not wanting to do more than they feel they can handle at the time. If they say, "we make custom tanks", they get into a field where they don't feel completely safe. Looking at making up to 55 versus making larger may just be a matter of not having the hands on experience and people to handle the larger. Takes a bigger setup and a bigger guy to handle a 120?
Should we downgrade a company that knows what it can do and wants to stay within that limit?
This is only a theory of course but I would not assume they are bad or good due to this one point. Careful study on all the points involved, yes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
There are often times when the story we get is not exactly the correct story?
For instance in this case, it may be more a matter of not wanting to do more than they feel they can handle at the time. If they say, "we make custom tanks", they get into a field where they don't feel completely safe. Looking at making up to 55 versus making larger may just be a matter of not having the hands on experience and people to handle the larger. Takes a bigger setup and a bigger guy to handle a 120?
Should we downgrade a company that knows what it can do and wants to stay within that limit?
This is only a theory of course but I would not assume they are bad or good due to this one point. Careful study on all the points involved, yes.

Point well taken! I guess its fair to say we shouldn't jump to any conclusions yet.

I'd be interested in hearing some more about the company and seeing what they do. Everyone has to start somewhere; right?!?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Ask if you can inspect their work. I'm sure they have display tanks around. You know what good looking tanks, stands, etc.. look like.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
As for the 1/4" glass thing, it's not totally unthinkable. There's a pretty large glass shop near home that doesn't work with or sell anything thicker than 3/8".

Working with glass thicker than 3/8" is a totally different beast. I bought the Toyo cutting tool for a special project, shopped the heck out of the price and it still cost me just shy of $300. I've seen it listed for closer to $700. It's a manual tool. Works very well. Beyond this tool there's a water jet cutter and I think you've entered the upper stratosphere of what a small shop could possibly invest in.

So as a small custom builder, I wouldn't be totally put off by the simple fact that he doesn't have access to glass thicker than 1/4" nor that he can't work with anything thicker.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The company is actually an hour or so away from me. Everything is paid ahead of time. You purchase the tank, and they work on it or whatever I think, and then you go pick it up. Only thing is there's no refunds or returns. I did check online and they had nothing but good things said about them on google reviews.

There's lots of pics on their facebook website. But I'm not gonna post the link or anything because I don't want this to turn into a vendor review and get deleted.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12-09-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: ...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Only thing is there's no refunds or returns.
I'd stay away from any store with this policy no matter how good. What if it leaked?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I already emailed customer service and they said anything that is defective or leaks they will replace.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12-10-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Iron Man
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 AM
Children Boogie

Well, that's fine then. If it looks good, go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode