Guppies are slowly dying - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Guppies are slowly dying

Hi everyone
Over the weekend I purchased 3 guppies - Not sure what kind they are, or if it matters but they are pretty small... one yellow/green leopard print, one yellow and orange flame like one, and another an orangish pink. All had pretty small tails.

This is a pretty new tank and probably was not cycled properly, but I did let it run for 3 weeks while adding fish food occasionally. It is planted and has ecocomplete substrate. I have noticed a "film" on the surface and I'm wondering if that is normal. I tested it before getting the fish and everything was normal, and after getting the fish everything was still normal. EXCEPT my pH which is at about 8.2. I did read that guppies can have a pH near 7.8 so am I pushing the limit and could this be killing them?

I woke up the day after getting them to the pink one dead. Currently the leopard one is dying, he can flit around a little bit but then nose dives into the substrate. I did notice he is missing([?] not sure if he had one) his upper fin and whats left is almost hair like projections leaving me to think they were fighting, although I had seen no aggression at all. The last fish seems to be completely fine but that's what I thought about the leopard one after the first fish died. I am feeding them topfin tropical feed as the petstore told me, currently the alive fish eats a little but spits some out. I don't think the food is the issue at all though. At the pet store I did notice one fish in the tank that had the same symptoms as the leopard one now. Could this not be my fault?

update while typing: The leopard one is trying to eat, the filter is blowing him around a bit, should I turn it off? At first I wondered if it was too strong for them, but they seemed to be obsessed with the current and swimming up it, instead of going to the area of the tank that was not affected. This is a Fluval Spec V by the way. The other fish is definitely interested in what's going on and is swimming around the leopard one.

Last edited by SunnyNikki; 12-08-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: New information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

You need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. More importantly are ammonia and nitrite levels and report back. You might consider doing a 50% water change in case this is because your tank isn't cycled.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
You need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. More importantly are ammonia and nitrite levels and report back. You might consider doing a 50% water change in case this is because your tank isn't cycled.
I have tested for these and they are just about perfect did a 50% water change the day before getting the fishies too haha. I'm pretty confused by what's going on

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The problem is at pH 8.2 - a 'just about perfect' ammonia may be 'just about' lethal.... are your ammonia and nitrite zero?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
The problem is at pH 8.2 - a 'just about perfect' ammonia may be 'just about' lethal.... are your ammonia and nitrite zero?
Ammonia was .25 and nitrite was at 0 when I checked it yesterday
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It could certainly be higher now, coupled with the inaccuracies of our hobbyist test kits (ammonia and pH), could certainly be the cause. I'd be doing daily water changes, you can detoxify what is there with Prime or similar too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have Prime, I'll test again and try a water change again tomorrow and hope for the best. The last one seems to be doing just fine, it's amazing how fast it happens

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode