5.5 gallon light and Co2 requirements? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 5.5 gallon light and Co2 requirements?

I am fairly new to the hobby, and am starting a 5.5 gallon planted tank. I recently purchased an Odyssea 14" 24watt power compact looking at a 6500K bulb. Along with my Aquatek mini Co2 regulator, will this be enough light to grow an HC carpet in Aquasoil Amazonia? Pardon the pun but I'm not up to par on PAR, and I know watts/gallon is outdated and out the window when it comes to smaller tanks. Is there a good baseline bps I should aim for with my Co2?

What are your suggestions when it comes to plants? I have rushed things in the past, and I feel that was my downfall. Not looking at any fauna as of yet, just looking to get the plants going healthy first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (151/100%)
Hey AquaBotNewb, welcome to ThePlantedTank.

I'd say a 24watt compact 6500K bulb for a 5.5 gallon is really good enough to grow HC on Amazonia Aquasoil. If you want to be successful with HC in that tank, you have to make sure you monitor your co2 levels to be at a good range for plants, dose your fertilizers daily, adjust lighting time, have good water flow and your good to go. As for BPS, I think 1 BPS or 1 bubble per half second would do.

By the way, get yourself a co2 drop checker with good quality solution and use it to check your co2 levels. It'll make checking rising/dropping co2 levels easier than test kits, unless you have the money for them, they are definitely more accurate.

As for other plants besides HC, you could go with the small eriocaulon species, tonina species, if you are up for the challenge.. they require soft water and a lot more demanding in care, so if you screw up, they will slowly die on ya.. Trust me, I messed up on erios and toninas a lot in the past. If you don't have parameters going in the right direction in the tank, it's game over within a few weeks. Eh, those are advanced plants.. honestly I recommend you get the easier, beginner plants firsthand before you plunge for those kind of plants.. but up to you to decide if you want to go straight in for the difficult plants. Anyway try Rotala rountifolia on the back, it'll look great. The good thing about rotala species is that the stems don't get far too thick nor leaves too large or anything than will shade the tank excessively that can kill the HC because of shading. So try rotala rountifolia. And then there's also some easy to grow ludwigua species, bacopa species, both are worth getting as cool backdrop. It depends on what you like.

Have fun!

20 gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think because you aren't starting off trying to compensate for lack of gas or good substrate you'll be fine. nice job not cutting corners. I have your kind of paintball regulator, about 75 bucks off amazon right? I put that on 7$ worth of co2 from a welding shop in a 30xx paintball bottle and it will last my tank two years. its much smaller than 5 g

thats a great regulator it works perfect imo

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input! I am def digging the Rotala Rotundifolia I'm gonna write that one down as a possibility. The HC is about as complicated as I would like to get right now. Yeah I think I may have spent around $87.00 for the Aquatek on Amazon, maybe you got it on a special or something. Glad to know it has fans on here!! I also have a 20 tall with an Aquaticlife dual T5HO and a fluval 206 that's gonna get the treatment here soon. Right now its just an algae farm, but atleast my Oto's are happy. Just gotta put away lunch money to get another Co2 setup without the wife noticing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (151/100%)
You're welcome, rountifolia is one of my favorite rotala species. Not super demanding in terms of care and etc It should do pretty well or you, I bet.

20 gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
You're welcome, rountifolia is one of my favorite rotala species. Not super demanding in terms of care and etc It should do pretty well or you, I bet.
Can you recommend any red plants as well? Do the the majority of reds need Fe supplements?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Most plants do better with Fe supplements ha.. it's just that for red plants its more obvious when they are in good health or not because of their coloration. You can try ludwigia sp. red; its the easiest red plant that gets very red quite easily..

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

Tags
5.5, gallon, nano, planted, wpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode