High tech but slow growth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
High tech but slow growth

I have what I believe to be a high tech tank, its only 25gal high and i run pressurized co2 at 2bps using an inline diffuser, the drop checker is almost yellow, I also dose EI method, I have 6 strips of led lights that almost blind you if you look at them. I have DHG, Anubias and Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan, my question is why am I not seeing this crazy growth that everyone always talks about? Some of my DHG is even browning. I'm sure there is nothing else I can do, the tank is a few months old but the plants have rooted, I'm also seeing little 'tufts' of what I believe to be the early stages of black beard algae, i would like tips on how to get lush full growth whilst minimizing the algae, any suggestions? Photoperiod has just been put down to 6.5 hours. Thanks in advance. Apologies for grammar and low quality pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-17-56-01-1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	400906  

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-17-56-56-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	400914  

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-17-56-27-1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	400922  

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-17-56-16-1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	400930  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The experts absolutely need to weigh in on this, but something is seriously wrong. You should not have that much algae, especially what looks like BGA. Too much lights + not good water quality + too much ferts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Wow, for high tech, that seriously does not look good at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

Just because it's going to get asked but what are your water conditions? Temps? How are you stocked? Are you fertilizing? What's your substrate? How strong is your light?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTyler View Post
Just because it's going to get asked but what are your water conditions? Temps? How are you stocked? Are you fertilizing? What's your substrate? How strong is your light?
Water parameters are fine, very hard water in my area though so I don't dose the magnesium sulphate, its a solid 26C all the time, Yeah I'm fertilizing using the EI method (Macro-Micro alternating days). My substrate is volcanic mineral rock (Scam substate found out it actually benifits plants nil) with finer substrate on top with root tabs. I dont have a unit of how strong my light is, but the tank is a bright white colour I definatly think the light is sufficient I have 6 - 48cm LED bars. I have stocked 8 Neon tetra, 4 Endlers, 5 Rummynose tetra, 3 amano shrimp, African dwarf frog, a Nerite snail along with a few pests I keep pulling out and a honey gourami, so I'm understocked too.

Last edited by AshNeon93; 12-08-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Forgot things.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think you need to lower lighting and do a number of water changes/cleanings and try and manually remove as much algae as possible. Also, double check your drop checker, I run more bps on a 10 gallon that I have with high light and my drop checker just gets a light green.

Algae is probably outcompeting with plants for resources at this point since I see more algae than plants.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNeon93 View Post
Water parameters are fine, very hard water in my area though so I don't dose the magnesium sulphate, its a solid 26C all the time, Yeah I'm fertilizing using the EI method (Macro-Micro alternating days). My substrate is volcanic mineral rock (Scam substate found out it actually benifits plants nil) with finer substrate on top with root tabs. I dont have a unit of how strong my light is, but the tank is a bright white colour I definatly think the light is sufficient I have 6 - 48cm LED bars. I have stocked 8 Neon tetra, 4 Endlers, 5 Rummynose tetra, 3 amano shrimp, African dwarf frog, a Nerite snail along with a few pests I keep pulling out and a honey gourami, so I'm understocked too.
I'm not trying to be mean, but I've never known a tank to look like this and have "fine" water parameters. Have you checked your ammonia, nitrate and nitrate and what are the readings? Be specific.

I'm pretty sure your light is just WAY too strong for this tank. I also suspect you don't have enough flow or a REALLY high level of waste in the tank. Are you overfeeding?

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTyler View Post
I'm not trying to be mean, but I've never known a tank to look like this and have "fine" water parameters. Have you checked your ammonia, nitrate and nitrate and what are the readings? Be specific.

I'm pretty sure your light is just WAY too strong for this tank. I also suspect you don't have enough flow or a REALLY high level of waste in the tank. Are you overfeeding?
The nitrite is at 0ppm, the ammonia is about 0.10 ppm if that, it just looks not completely yellow, the nitrate is a little high probably about 40-50ppm, but I done a 50% water change yesterday so I'm confused about that, I feed them once a day around two small pinches of micro pellets, probably works out around 4 each! So I'm not over feeding, the whole tank is not absolutly covered beyond all recognition as it may seem in them pictures.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
we must see a full tank shot

I know that stinks with algae issues but it conveys details not given so far, unspoken ones

need a full tank shot

plenty of before and after shots exist on this forum so its the after shot that really matters, how we fix it

I simply search for whats maximized for plant growth and what isnt

substrate-no
light-tbd
carbon-yes we have gas, but Im not seeing an actual ppm rating so its still tbd. the full tank shot gives us idea of fish loading and the room we have to play w gas levels, 2bps may not be enough if your dispersion method is compromised, need a ppm rating for dissolved co2

ferts-tbd, the initial rooting can be from plant reserves plus the ferts in question and avail light and gas, and then when something becomes the limiting factor growth halts.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Last edited by brandon429; 12-08-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: sp
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are the pictures of the whole tank as requested, could you explain how I get a ppm reading I use a drop checker and it turns from dark green to nearly yellow everyday, I can't put the bps up as I recently posted a question about my fish and I've been told they are sort of panting so I'll have to put surface movement up, my substrate is normal but I use root tabs, and my lights are strong enough the tank is a bright white colour. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20141209_171025.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	401402  

Name:	IMG_20141209_171014-1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	401410  

Attached Images

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
In my opinion you just simply do not have this planted enough to out compete algae at the lighting levels you're using. I'd raise the lights some and reduce photoperiod to get this under control.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You probably need more nutrients than root tabs.

You have too much light. Cut back intensity and light period.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
hey that was a surprising fts man

nice looking for sure. not bad at all!

I see no real problems here, its trying to get started and the fts conveys this imo

those fish imo are better suited to after the plants have set in and you find the hum of the tank. currently they are your experimentation limiter w gas, the one thing we can maximize above the substrate which is only par level for plants imo

if it was my tank Id

-pat on back for initial scaping nicely done wall and low lying growth

remove fish and only put them in when Im happy w plant balance

-gas her the heck up, then back it down as you find the right alternate balances.

constantly siphon out the offending bga over and over as part of initial maintenance. i almost always beat invaders simply by constant removal until i win. for the times I dont, i cheat w peroxide and burn them out. your tank should be easy to fix up just a little balancing, nice start.

if you must keep the fish Id still be doing all the regular almost daily water change partials to extract the algae, that wont hurt the fish, and Id be upping the gas as much as they'd let me,.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

can you post a photo of your lights? maybe your problem is low lighting.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho-bsas View Post
can you post a photo of your lights? maybe your problem is low lighting.
I was thinking that it was a low lighting problem as well. You may have a lot of LEDs but if they aren't in the right range they are useless to plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode