New to keeping. Need help on next project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to keeping. Need help on next project

Ok so I'll give you a quick lil background. My parents always had fish tanks when i was growing up and I have been wanting to get one. A 55 gallon came up on Facebook and i managed to pick it up for $20.

So I have had that tank up for about two months and starting to figure it out I think. Have a multi spectrum Fluvial LED light on it (which i think will be perfect when i one day aqua scape it).

I bought a Aqueon 16 gallon widescreen as a side tank and decided i wanna try my hand at aquascaping with it first. They are a cool tank that looks a lot larger than it is. Only issue with my plan is it only had 9 LED lights and the tank is real thin (not much depth). (here is the link to the smaller 13g tank http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...uarium-kit.htm )

I want to do something simple, and something that i can run with the LED lights for now (i should mention the tank will sit right on the wall between two windows; helping the lighting issue). maybe a slightly sloped landscape on both side of the tank with some strategically placed rocks. Moss the rocks up and do something to carpet the rest of the bottom of the tank green (think, nice lawn)

I have a picture or two to show things i thought might work in the little tank, but I'm open to all suggestions. I can't find the picture of the simple layout that i thought would be perfect. Ill post if i do. As wide as the tank is I have a lot of room to use in that aspect, but lack depth.

Anyways.. ill post pictures and see what you guys think.

BTW! Nice to meet ya'll
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10428631_10152403718071577_3120115787397622213_n.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	400546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iwagumi.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	400554  

Attached Images

Last edited by dragit; 12-08-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: wording change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (151/100%)
Welcome to ThePlantedTank!

Awesome pick up! A used 55 gallon setup from someone on FaceBook? That's a first. I usually hear people getting tanks, equipment, etc great deals from craigslist. Anyway $20.00?? Nice!

Well looks like you got a nice 16 gallon tank. How long is it? I think you could go with a Satellite Freshwater LED+ fixture; it measures 18 inches and is extendable to 24 inches if the 16 gallon is around that long length-wise. It's a pretty cool customizable LED fixture that can do quite a number of things. Pick it up when you have the chance!

20 gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The 16g is longer than 24" but I would rather avoid buying a fixture. I want to keep the stock hood (otherwise I wouldn't have bought a "kit"). I have a $280 Fluval led on the 55g, and that's where ill eventually move to doing a more extravagant planted aquascape. The 16g is a starter project that I wanna do real low tech with some beginner low light plants.

Now I wouldn't mind modifying it. Adding led strips or like. But I have read and read and haven't figured out if that is worth while. If I MUST but a fixture, so be it. But it sounds like using the hood is still a possibility

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

As far as a 'scape goes, I think you will have better results working in the second layout, rocks and low plants. The tree effect seems to look better in a taller tank. Maybe a much smaller tree in such a small tank? But I am not sure it would look right.
Hmm... Use one of the finest, tightest mosses? Fissidens?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well these tanks are extremely tall and long, but not very deep.

I have a few different ideas, im just trying to see the plants I could possibly use in the tank in stock configuration.

The tank is so tall, im worried about 12 basic leds being enough to grow anything at the bottom.

They are a neat tank. The lack of depth is going to make is a challenge to aquascape I think. That and the fack it is so tall

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode