LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ich outbreak!!!!! advice needed!

ok, so my tank has an outbreak of ich.

as i've been reading theres many schools of thought,
unfortunately i havent found much on planted tanks with outbreaks

so i have fish, inverts, and turtles all in a flourishing planted tank.

and i have found at least 4 of my fish (a striped cat and 3 neon tetras) with cysts on them.

how should i proceed in order to save everyone and prevent the spread.

note: my tank is 75g, heavily planted, and there is no secondary tank to quarantine in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Add some salt, up the temperature. If that doesn't work, consider UV or some meds. I always add aquarium salt at 2g per 10L. So if you don't normally do that, I would raise the temp slowly to 28oC and add salt. The salt will kill the ich and assist oxygen exchange for the fish at that temp. Also add some aeration (e.g) airstone, and knock the light back a bit. Keep the temp up for a week and do a 50% water change maintaining the salt concentration for a further week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok i can handle that, unfortunately i am broke til friday, so i may have to grab a bottle of super liquid ick cure from my LFS. read a bunch of reviews and a majority were good.

also being broke i cant buy a heater, but i can knock the lights back since the turtles basking lamp can be shut off and they can wait to bask. i can handle the h2o changes but i also work 50+ hours a week, and its finals week at college...this is the worst time for this to happen.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ick med Quick Cure is a great product it works amazing and relatively cheap
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, don't knock back the lights then, as that would be the main source of heat.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok awesome, thats what i needed to know. turns out the weird flashing behavior i noticed from an older feeder minnow from a couple weeks ago was flashing. hard to see any kind of spots on it since it was a rosy red feeder minnow. lol

tomorrow bright and early the treatment starts.

fingers crossed. and my baby african spotted leaf has it slightly, so hopefully he can make it through.

Is the quick cure safe for inverts? Ie not copper containing?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-09-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you sure its ich? Photos would be good. Make sure your water is perfect first and then get the treatment started.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah it's ich. i looked at multiple fish, and examples on the net, and yeah i can 100% say its ich. i think it may have a bit to do with the crayfish cruising the tank at night causing stress on the fish during their sleep. so until the ich is cured, the cray can hang in a rubbermaid tub, with normal feeding. i have noticed that the last 3 striped cats i've bought have been killed by the crayfish, so the only bottom feeders i'll keep for now are my plecos who seem to find good hiding spots during the night.

i started the first dose of marineland ich remedy this morning, and when i came home noticed all the fish were cool and collected, as if they were realizing the water additives were helping. then i saw the crayfish, very still....very placid. very abnormal. so, i figured the medication was screwing him up. i pulled him out of the tank into some fresh water in a tub and he is as peachy as can be. no fatalities halfway through day one. so....so far i think we are doing all right. less stress, meds, and a good nights rest should be the best thing for the crew.

Bump: and water has been perfect, results as of saturday:
pH 7.2ppm
NH3 0.15 ppm
NO2 0
NO3 0
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like you have a lot of different species in one tank.
Species that eat each other.

I would separate these fish and others.

Crays are predatory, and quite strong. Not good to keep with fish.

Turtles vary, some are predatory.

Do not buy 'feeder fish' of any species. They are poorly cared for, can introduce parasites and diseases to your fish. If you want to keep a predatory species, then raise their food yourself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah, the bottom dwellers are the only ones getting harassed by the cray. the turtles cant catch a thing, even when they try. otherwise everything is quite docile.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode