Help me plan my 75 gallon. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Help me plan my 75 gallon.

I'm a planted tank newbie. I have a 5 gallon planted at work where I have doubled or trippled my hairgrass population. I've also grown out other plants in there. I've been fighting hair algae but all in all I'm happy with the tank. I'm planting more and more to soak up nutrients and out compete the algae.

I also have 3 ten gallon tanks where I am growing out a bunch of purchased and ROAK plants for the 75 gallon.

I'm planning on a 75 gallon display tank with SafeTSorb as the substrate. EI dosing as my fert schedule. Canister filters for filtration. Would prefer to not do CO2.

So questions:
1) What beginner plant should I use for a background plant? I want to completely hide the back of the tank so tall growth is needed. I like spaces for the fish to hide.
2) What fish should I put in a 75 gallon heavily planted tank? (not discus, otherwise I like the idea of a couple schools of fish).
3) I've had bad luck with cherry shrimp but I'd really love to get a good population going in my 75.

Finally, I'd prefer to only have slow reproducing fish in the tank, I don't want to be fighting trying to get fry out of the tank... I have other tanks that have fry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 03:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shrimp would make the tank look empty. I really enjoyed tiger barbs in my 55 with amazon swords. It was really easy to take care of as well cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd like shrimp and fish....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Look into jungle Val's or nana Val's for the back. .

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Italian val might work good for you. It is similar to jungle val but doesn't grow 20' with narrower blades.

If you want a nice tight school, rummy nose Tetra look great. Also cardinal tetras would look nice in a large school. Being a 75 you could also go with rainbows. Not saying go with all but just throwing out a couple ideas.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really like the looks of a cardinal tetra... what should I put with them? How many for a heavily planted 75?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode