Aquascaping a Chiclid Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Aquascaping a Chiclid Tank

So from what I've read planted tanks and chiclids are a huge no-no. I'm looking for aquascape inspiration, most of the chiclid tanks I've seen are not really aesthetically pleasing. Show off your chiclid tanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
They mostly feature awful rock formations that are stacked superficially, though I realize there is a utility in breaking up the site lines, etc. I have seen some good ones that featured a lot of anubias tied to the rocks... Apparently they stand up to most cichlids (because they are not very tasty)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Part of the question would need to be which cichlids you are planning. Each will be better served by different types of layouts. not just simple SA/CA versus African lake or river but more specific like size and which cichlids?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I found a few pictures of beautiful cichlid tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
U can do any type of floating plant. Some red root floaters would be cool!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have read that aquatic onion plants can stand up to the pounding of Cichlids and are highly resistant to being uprooted because of the large onion bulb.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There really are good plants that have no trouble with cichlids. But it does take a bit of different person to deal with the combo. If you are the sort who insists it is YOUR tank and YOU are the sole decision maker, forget the idea. Stay with the safe but somewhat mindless dither fish that you often find in planted tanks. Something that has neither the mindset nor the strength to make decisions about how the tank is arranged.

If you are willing to agree that the tank is yours to watch but for the fish to live in, then a compromise can be made that suits both.

I find it works much better if you start out by finding what the fish wants and try to work it out from there. But that depends on what fish you are thinking about as each type of fish will have different requirements. Try to fight him on those requirements and you are in for a long struggle and likely to find he has more time than you do!

SA/CA tank

African cichlid tank set for ease of breeding and catching holding females. You want something that you can remove when needed.

And an African tank set with both what I like and what they want?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Look through my 75 thread, maybe more at the tank at the end of its life before the crash...

You just have to pick the right cichlids, its certainly not impossible but its also more challenging.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquascaping a Chiclid Tank

My 40g tall convict tank during the first scape I tried out
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417845951.142752.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	399450
The current scape early on (it's got some algae going on right now)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417846121.335468.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	399458

I haven't had any problem with the plants after I pulled the stem plants and placed some rocks in the sand at the base of my swords. As long as you give each pair or male cichlid a territory without plants (they like to be able to see what going on) you should be ok. I only have experience with convicts so this isn't a definitive answer but I would guess that a lot of low stock options would be fine. Make sure you research because some cichlids dig considerable more then others from what I have read online.

P.s. I know the background is cheesy but you do what you gotta do to keep the girlfriend happy lol

~Travis

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode