Help With First Aquarium! Worm Identification, New Plant Advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help With First Aquarium! Worm Identification, New Plant Advice

Tank: 10 gal, Betta, 4 Cory Catfish, Play Sand Substrate, 1 Anubias Nana, Water Sprites, 42W 6500K CFL, Fluval C3 Filter w/ Sponge/Batting, 81 Degrees

Original Setup:

Current Status:

Does the betta, Ra, look healthy to you? More pictures of him in link at bottom.

I've had this tank for over a year, it's my first aquarium. I do 10% water changes every 5-7 days. I let algae grow on the back wall only. I'm in the process of adding two more Anubias, Dwarven Hairgrass, and Myrio, my hope is that they will help give the Corys more cover, I am adding some driftwood for them too. The Corys are named Infinity, Ellipsis, Tweedledee, and Tweedledum.

Found multiple worms while adding the new plants to my tank, no idea what it is! Hoping it's a tubifex worm that is harmless?

Is it okay to plant an Anubias directly into the sand?
What Anubias species is the bigger one on the left?

The longest branch is nearly 1' long!

My water sprite withered away pretty badly into this thin hair like mass as can be seen in the pictures above. Ra seems to enjoy it nonetheless, but I miss when the water sprite looked more awesome and had serious roots. I did not use fertilizer, I'm hoping they will help. I picked up some Seachem Potassium and Phosphate for general ferts, I am picking up Seachem root tabs and Excel for the Hairgrass.

Do I need any other fertilizers for the water sprites or other plants? Any advice on a dosing schedule I should utilize? What caused my water sprite to wither?

Does growing hairgrass well need more light?

More Pictures

Thanks for reading

Edit: Status of tank after adding all plants:

Last edited by Deathwish238; 12-08-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A 10 gallon is too small for the type of corys you have. Only the dwarf varieties should be kept in a 10. It's really too small for the ones you have and they are a shoaling fish and are best in a school of a minimum of 6. If you are going to keep them in there more plants/hiding places will definitely be a big help. One of the oddities of fish, the more hiding places you give them, the less they will actually hide.

The tank looks like it's off to a nice start though
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
A 10 gallon is too small for the type of corys you have. Only the dwarf varieties should be kept in a 10. It's really too small for the ones you have and they are a shoaling fish and are best in a school of a minimum of 6. If you are going to keep them in there more plants/hiding places will definitely be a big help. One of the oddities of fish, the more hiding places you give them, the less they will actually hide.
The False Juliis are the dwarf variety I believe, they haven't grown since I got them and are 1-1.5". I did want to get 6, but I don't think I can do more than 4 in this small of a tank without needing to do water changes twice a week minimum.

I plan to upgrade to a 30g tank late next year and will make the school of corys as large as possible.

A large part of why I'm turning the tank into a heavily planted tank is to help the corys. I know they need more hiding places as they are often in the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
The tank looks like it's off to a nice start though
Thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Corydoras pygmaeus, corydoras hastatus, and corydoras habrosus are the dwarf varieties. They max out at 1" or less.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FewestKitten896 View Post
Corydoras pygmaeus, corydoras hastatus, and corydoras habrosus are the dwarf varieties. They max out at 1" or less.
From looking up pictures of those species, I don't think these Corys are any of those. I call these False Jullis because I'm pretty sure they're not real Jullis, but I'm not sure what they actually are species wise. I've uploaded some (from June, August, and October) pictures of them since there appears to be interest in them.

Maybe someone can help identify their species? I think I have two different types, and at least one, the larger one, Infinity, is female.

Album

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah those are false julii. The false julii are smaller than some cories but not considered a dwarf variety. I was just giving you a heads up on the species n25philly was saying would be a more suitable species for the size of tank. Nothing wrong with what you are doing though. Just plant heavy and regular maintenance.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FewestKitten896 View Post
Yeah those are false julii. The false julii are smaller than some cories but not considered a dwarf variety. I was just giving you a heads up on the species n25philly was saying would be a more suitable species for the size of tank. Nothing wrong with what you are doing though. Just plant heavy and regular maintenance.
Cool, that is good to know. I appreciate the heads up.

Any thoughts about the worm I found?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, not very familiar with the worms of the freshwater aquarium.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Limnodrilus hoffmeisteri worm

There is a post under Substrate called What is digging up my substrate you should take a look at last page
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Limnodrilus hoffmeisteri worm

There is a post under Substrate called What is digging up my substrate you should take a look at last page
Oh cool, that is what they look like. So then, they're not harmful, and the fish eating them is probably fine too.

Should I bother trying to get rid of all of them? Seems like they may actually be good for the substrate?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They seem to disturb the substrate if your keeping plants I'd try to get rid of the worms not sure how good they are for the roots seems like they get pretty big to non of the fish your keeping is likely to eat a worm that size
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Very cute tank, good start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

I had s problem with those worms because they dug up the soil and caused water quality issues. If you don't have dirt then they might not be a problem for you.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Very cute tank, good start.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajive1981 View Post
I had s problem with those worms because they dug up the soil and caused water quality issues. If you don't have dirt then they might not be a problem for you.
I see more of them now that I look out for them. They seem to mostly chill in the sand. I don't have any dirt and don't plant to get any either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
They seem to disturb the substrate if your keeping plants I'd try to get rid of the worms not sure how good they are for the roots seems like they get pretty big to non of the fish your keeping is likely to eat a worm that size
Can the betta be harmed by eating a 2-3" long worm?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Planted Member

I wouldn't have thought so. I imagine its the sort of thing they would eat naturally.

Tags
betta, corys, freshwater, worm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode