Help me save my high light plants! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me save my high light plants!

My tank used to be high light. I switched to a low light tank for a while and now I'm going back to high light.
I ordered the appropriate bulbs for the switch and they were shipped 2 day priority mail on the 1st. USPS tracking estimated they would be here on the 4th. So, the day they were due to arrive, I ordered my plants.

Well, my bulbs haven't been scanned in anywhere since the 1st and I hadn't gotten too worried since USPS tracking isn't the best. I've had them not update their scans and the package arrive.

So yesterday came and went and no bulbs. Checked tracking again and nothing has changed. It still shows last scan was on the 1st. So I've started a case with them.

The plants coming are:

Ludwigia Peruensis
Cardamine
Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Red
Echinorodus tenellus

I'm not worried about the crypt, and I think the tenellus would be fine. I'm more worried about the peruensis and cardamine. If I don't get my bulbs before my plants, how do I keep the plants alive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower

try putting them out side or by a window. I havent tried that but its natural sun light so it might help it stay alive. Dont know how long or how well though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wouldn't outside be too cold for them? My windows face north and south so no sunny windows.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

oh...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wonder if floating them would be okay
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Plant them under the lighting you have now. They will be fine for a few days and probably need lower lighting at first anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you're really worried about them and its going to be more than a few days you could just go down to the home improvement store and get a few clip-on work lights with 6500k spiral CFLs for around $60.00. Keep the receipt and then just return everything when your new equipment arrives.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
FYI, live goods sold online should be shipped overnight for best results. Yes the price is higher for overnight shipping but 1) most companies only guarantee their product for DOA when shipped overnight 2) the product has greater success rates when shipped over night. Its to risky to loose the product just to save money on shipping. Opening the box asap should always be considered when life is involved.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
FYI, live goods sold online should be shipped overnight for best results. Yes the price is higher for overnight shipping but 1) most companies only guarantee their product for DOA when shipped overnight 2) the product has greater success rates when shipped over night. Its to risky to loose the product just to save money on shipping. Opening the box asap should always be considered when life is involved.

By "bulbs" I was talking about light bulbs.

Currently my setup is a 60 gallon tank with one 96 watt CFL. It's AH Supply's 3-6-10 bulb so it has the 6500K spectrum and my low light plants do alright under it. The distance from the light to the substrate is about 24".

Still no word from USPS and no bulbs on my door step. Wonder how long I should wait until contacting AH Supply and seeing if they'll send some more?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just wanted to give AH Supply a thumbs up.
I talked to them the other day about the post office losing my bulbs. I started the process of having USPS look into it (which, I'm not sure they really are).
I got a call from AH Supply saying they had been keeping an eye on it and, since there were no updates, they're sending me some more.
I can't even remember the last time a company was on top of it like that.
I got warm fuzzies.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
i would still follow up with the shipping company. I had two coral life fixtures sent to my house and they came in all busted up and every thing and since it wasn't the company fault they were not going to replace the 180$, after following up with stupid usps they only gave me 50 fricken dollars >=( so now im stuck having to fix one of them and re solder the other =/. Other than that i ended up buying two marineland double bright 36" light fixtures for my new 65gallon tank =) 38x20x20
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They told me that if it came in busted up, not to open the box and to just refuse delivery and they'd take care of it.

Anyway, tonight, the bulbs finally showed up at my door in a box that looks to be in good shape and all before my plants get here so I'm set.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode