Uh Oh... Crypts melt & tank waterfall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Uh Oh... Crypts melt & tank waterfall

Well, the last three hours have been... well, interesting... And I hope my wife is in a good mood in the morning... hehe

During tonight's water change, I noticed a lot of leaves on my crypts have broken in half and are just missing. Then I saw these translucent spots on many of the others and started to think... is this the infamous "crypt melt"? I recently switched to EI and may have been overdosing on Excel as well. I wonder if that caused it? Anyway...

While filling the tank... I looked at the level and thought to myself "I have a few minutes for that to fill" so I rushed here to look it up and see if indeed this was a crypt melt. You probably know where this is going now...

Well, time slipped away and I'm sitting here at my keyboard hearing this wierd noise and it sounded like my cats running around the carpet in the other room or something. So I ignored it for a minute or two. Then my sock was wet...

I look over and there is a waterfall down the front of the tank and had 2 clown loaches and a denison barb literally swimming on the floor in front of the tank. The cat is sitting on the steps of the stairs staring at them and contemplating..

I have had my tank for over 10 years and not once have I ever let this happen. I have a bunch of fans out and the carpet is moist but not horrible now..

Thought I would share! Moral of the story for me... Wait to look stuff up until AFTER the tank fills no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dear....
I'm still using buckets for mine, but am contemplating a larger tank that will necessitate hose filling. I'm planning an electronic level sensor hooked to a solenoid to cut the water, I know how distracted I can get!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Been there, done that.................more times than I'd care to admit to.

My wife no longer has a sense of humor with regard to the fish room. She just ignores it completely.

So if it makes you feel any better, you're certainly not alone here.

I think your cat was just having a tough time deciding which one should go first.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Woops!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Glad I'm not alone here! Floor was nice and dry this morning and all the fish are still swimming around so no harm done.

It's funny because my wife is typically riding a spin bike while the tank is filling when I do WCs and she always gets nervous when she can see the water getting towards the top and I am nowhere in sight. I'm usually just out of view and always have an eye on it but she always asks. I do it when she's asleep and all hell breaks loose. Figures...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Planted Member

I usually wait until the tank is filling to wipe it down, prune plants, and fish out the dead floating leaves.

It gives me something to do, while I keep an eye on it.

And yes, I had an overfill once with a reef tank. Salt water on hardwood floor. Wife was not happy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

i used to work at Aquarium Adventure, a *giant* super store here in Columbus. we would do changes on the banks of tanks every morning before we opened, draining some while filling others. it was a pretty common occurrence that we were frantically mopping up a flood while customers were walking into the store. always upset the owner something fierce, which was mildly amusing. ah, memories. what a great job that was.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dude... i did the same thing when filling my water barrel I was leaning on the sink typing out a serious post on another forum and I hear this sound?? Crap!!!!!! 10 gal on the dining room floor... man o man.. havnt moved that fast in years..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did it once and lost my ReefKeeper controler when the water spilled over on it. The main control head is still functional but all the add ons shorted out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
LOL you are in good company

Regards,
Aquaticz

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode