CO2 regulator broken parts help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 regulator broken parts help.

A few years ago I ordered a regulator from yikesjason. Doesn't seem like he's active anymore, so I can't ask him what I need.

Anyway the regulator works fine until I tipped the tank over and the connector that connects the clippard solenoid to the fabco nv-55 broke. I need to replace those parts, but I don't know the sizes that I need. I think the fabco takes the smaller 10/32 connector (don't know what it's called). I'm not sure about the reducer on the solenoid. Also the broken piece is in the reducer, so I need to replace that as well.

Here is the kicker though. I live in Japan and the only parts that I can find are in metric. Besides anyone giving me the sizes, does anyone have or know any place online I can order them on without charging $30 for shipping. That's how much things I've seen on ebay run for shipping.

This is the only picture of he regulator I have at the moment. I'm in the process of moving and don't have it with me right now, but if anyone needs a better picture, I can take more, it will just take a day or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
You can try searching eBay for a 10-32 hose barb. You should be able to find some with barbs for 6mm tubing. That will be easier to find than the 10-32 fitting alone. I have a couple of the parts you if you cant find anything else. PM me if all else fails.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
You can try searching eBay for a 10-32 hose barb. You should be able to find some with barbs for 6mm tubing. That will be easier to find than the 10-32 fitting alone. I have a couple of the parts you if you cant find anything else. PM me if all else fails.

Actually the only thing I can find on ebay is an 10/32 male to 1/8 barb. That would be fine, but first not sure what size the solenoid takes, and I can't find either a 1/4 or 1/2 to 1/8 barb fitting. I think 1/4 and 1/2 are the two thread sizes that clippard uses.

Also a lot of the things on ebay I have been looking at have $30+ shipping charges foe one small tiny piece. I paid that much to ship the whole regulator. The guy selling the 10/32 male to 1/8 barb has his shipping at about 8 bucks I think.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Algae Grower

The part that's in the solenoid isn't probably broken. It's a 1/8 npt x 10-32 reducer. You should have a good 10-32 hole there. That's why I mention the barbs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The part that's in the solenoid isn't probably broken. It's a 1/8 npt x 10-32 reducer. You should have a good 10-32 hole there. That's why I mention the barbs.
The 10/32 connector is what broke off into the reducer, so I probably have to replace it since it looks like it would be impossible to extract. Plus brass is so soft.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Algae Grower

Stick a knife into it. It will just under un screw assuming no threadlock was used.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Stick a knife into it. It will just under un screw assuming no threadlock was used.
Well hot dang!! That worked easily. Always been scared of brass ever since I stripped some jets in a carburetor.

Shouldn't there have been threadlock anyway? The valve side was a little harder to remove. Should I add some when putting back together? That is if I can find some here and I've looked....I've found and also have loctite that is disassemble-able. Would that work?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by phangtonpower View Post
Well hot dang!! That worked easily. Always been scared of brass ever since I stripped some jets in a carburetor.

Shouldn't there have been threadlock anyway? The valve side was a little harder to remove. Should I add some when putting back together? That is if I can find some here and I've looked....I've found and also have loctite that is disassemble-able. Would that work?
Loctite on the brass won't work as far as being able to disassemble it in the future. It's supposed to use little gaskets.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Loctite on the brass won't work as far as being able to disassemble it in the future. It's supposed to use little gaskets.
Guess I have to use plumbers tape. The tape here is really thick though.

Anyway I may hit you up on your offer as soon as a finish moving if that's ok?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Algae Grower

You could probably also use the low strength loctite. It's not as common as the regular red stuff is.

Ya sure, it's will probably take me while. I hate actually having to go in to post office and filling out the customs paperwork.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You could probably also use the low strength loctite. It's not as common as the regular red stuff is.

Ya sure, it's will probably take me while. I hate actually having to go in to post office and filling out the customs paperwork.
I don't know the color differences of loctites, but the one I have is blue. I use it for threads on my bikes.

Hey thanks for all the help. I'll try my hardest to find something online, but I might need some help.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Blue Loctite generally allows parts to be removed quite easily.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since this is a point that makes it easy to break, have you considered doing away with that weak point and running it on tubing which will flex if bumped?
I use stands which give me places to hang parts real easy so I like the advantages of tubing rather than solid pipe.
If that would work for your use, all you would need is the 1/NPT to a barb to fit whatever tubing you like for threading into the solenoid. Then at the other end use a 10-32 to barb fitting to go into the Fabco.
I find this works very nice for my setup as it lets me change out tanks without risk of breaking things.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Blue Loctite generally allows parts to be removed quite easily.

But would it be recommended in this application?

I've been to 4 to 5 home centers (DIY places like home depot) and have found only thick plumbers tape.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Since this is a point that makes it easy to break, have you considered doing away with that weak point and running it on tubing which will flex if bumped?
I use stands which give me places to hang parts real easy so I like the advantages of tubing rather than solid pipe.
If that would work for your use, all you would need is the 1/NPT to a barb to fit whatever tubing you like for threading into the solenoid. Then at the other end use a 10-32 to barb fitting to go into the Fabco.
I find this works very nice for my setup as it lets me change out tanks without risk of breaking things.

That's what I'm planning this time around

Problem is finding a place where I can order parts that wont charge me $30+ to ship to Japan since most things in Japan are metric. Found one place on ebay that has 10/32 to 1/8 barb, but was wondering if 1/8 is too small. The shipping from this place is also reasonable.

If I went with the 10/32 to 1/8 barb, all I would need is 2 of those right?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
But would it be recommended in this application?

I've been to 4 to 5 home centers (DIY places like home depot) and have found only thick plumbers tape.
Personally, I would use either PTFE (teflon) tape or pipe compound. Blue Loctite is usually meant to prevent threaded parts (e.g. screws) from coming loose, etc.

Quote:
Problem is finding a place where I can order parts that wont charge me $30+ to ship to Japan since most things in Japan are metric. Found one place on ebay that has 10/32 to 1/8 barb, but was wondering if 1/8 is too small. The shipping from this place is also reasonable.

If I went with the 10/32 to 1/8 barb, all I would need is 2 of those right?
#10/32 to 1/8" is fine, and what most people use (though I've avoided them because #10/32 is simply too fragile, as you have found out).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode