Overflow Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Overflow Help

Currently I have a 180 gallon, tank, with dual overflows (2 holes in each overflow) It setup now with herbie type drain. I have one primary drain and one backup with returns over the back of the tank.

The problem is I can never get the 2 overflows to balance. Each line to the sump has a gate valve. Sometimes it works fine, others when I get home the backup drains have a ton of water going down them. So they seem to change water level day to day and it rather annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking about just switching over to durso type of return.

Plus wife is not happy about it as it gets really loud since it never seems to be stable and when wife not happy, my life not happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would be concerned about why the overflows are getting so much of the water. Is the pump returning it to the tank faster than the main drains will remove it? Overflows should have just a thin trickle (if any). Just enough so it sheets the inside of the pipe and does not cause gurgling.

I think I would start with opening both gate valves.
Also, clean the pipes, just in case there is something causing a problem.
Are the pipes the same length? Are they set up the same way? Elbows etc the same? Discharge end the same elevation in the sump?
Is the weir or whatever the water flows over to reach the pipes clean, and level?

Will the system run with them both wide open?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
The Herbie has one full drain and one that isn't supposed to have any water in it at all. Full drains are quiet same as a drain carrying a sheet of water. To add to Diana's questions, one or two discharges into sump? I would have two I think. My emergency drain is completely separate from the main drain's plumbing as well and I think whether the drain discharges under water or above is important as well.

My Herbie is a dangerous one, one 2" main drain and a 3/4" emergency drain. I keep prefilter sponges on both and the main drain's sponge needs rinsing at least once a week or I get to hear the emergency drain's gurgle. In fact I think I hear it now.

I think I read that it isn't easy to balance a double overflow Herbie. Could you set it up so both main drains are at one overflow and the other one is the emergency drain? The overflow teeth could be blocking the flow too much for that to work though. Can you cut the main drainpipes shorter so you have more leeway between the main and emergency drains?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everything I have read online says it not a good idea to tie both drains together for the primary or backup drains. I have tested this as well, with no better results. Some people seem to say it works OK, others not so much. My water level seems to jump all over the place either way it setup. My pump I can control to make it pump only 100 GPH, or 3000 GPH. If I turn it way down, then water spills over the overflow and it really loud and causes a lot of air into the sump. I pulled everything plumbing out last night and started to plumb for durso, not sure what else to do. Friend of my has same setup with 125 and has exact same problem as i do. So not sure what to think at this point.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I need some help.....

I figure out the problem. The tabs are removed on both over my overflows, where the return lines would go, but since I am using herbie and over the back returns, tons of water is going down those tabs. What can I use to block where those tabs are?

Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I glued a blank plastic credit card across where the unused return hole was so it is pretty much level. You could try to glue something across that gap if that is what you are writing about. The super gel glue is continuing to hold after 2 full years, a bit of a surprise. Mine is on the outside and would be quite an eyesore if it could be seen from the front of the tank but it can only be seen from the short end of the tank looking down 6 full feet so not a problem. Still if I replace it I will put something that matches the color of the overflow's acrylic.

I didn't want that hole there as it starts draining to the overflow before the tank is full during water changes. I don't know that it has anything to do with balancing the drains.

River Bank

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I glued a blank plastic credit card across where the unused return hole was so it is pretty much level. You could try to glue something across that gap if that is what you are writing about. The super gel glue is continuing to hold after 2 full years, a bit of a surprise. Mine is on the outside and would be quite an eyesore if it could be seen from the front of the tank but it can only be seen from the short end of the tank looking down 6 full feet so not a problem. Still if I replace it I will put something that matches the color of the overflow's acrylic.

I didn't want that hole there as it starts draining to the overflow before the tank is full during water changes. I don't know that it has anything to do with balancing the drains.
Thanks for the advise, that is the area I am talking about. I added some poret foam for now as that all I had and could not get to the store tonight. Since I have done that it running balanced and nice and silent, so that works for now, just not sure it a good long term fix.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode