Converting 150 gallon to Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Converting 150 gallon to Planted tank

First, Hello to everyone and thank you all for sharing your wisdom. I have learned a lot from just lurking around here for a year.

I have had such a great experence with a 46 gallon bow front tank that I planted last winter, that my wife suggested I plant the big tank that we have in our family room... (150 gallons)

I have 3 more bags of SMS that I will be using for substrate and 2 Ehiem 2217 cansters.

I don't really want to use ferts or CO2.

I really want to have a HUGE stump of driftwood and lots of different types small plecos, tons of Cory Cats, Ottos, and a huge school of some type of smaller fish that I haven't decided on yet...

Now for my questions!

I know the WPG rule doesn't really apply with a tank this large. Currenttly I just have plain shop lights over this tank, but nothing is currently growing in it. I have the 96 watt AH kit over the 46 gallon and would like similar results.

What amount of light would give me similar results?

I liked the AH pc light kits.. how many would you put over this tank?

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Welcome to the forum btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is 72 inchs long, 26 deep, and 18 front to back...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
What do you want to grow?
I used to run 4 X 96 AH Supplies over my 125 (different durations), and grew nice stems.
Lately, I have less time to trim, and scape, so I've switched over to lower light plants, and only run 2 of them for 9 hours a day.
I will say this though. I shut down the CO2 for a while, and the tank was floundering. I've recently started it again, and it's doing much better.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Once you eliminate fertilizing and CO2 you are limited to low light intensity, and some kind of fertile substrate. You could try the mineralized topsoil method, as described in the substrate forum sticky, or you could use substrate fertilizer tabs with the SMS, or you could do an "el natural" tank, like Diana Walstad teaches. But, all of those will have to be low light tanks, with something around 150 watts or less of light - less with T5 bulbs, or about that with other lights.

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5Goat View Post
and a huge school of some type of smaller fish that I haven't decided on yet...
finally someone with a good idea!
it seems most ppl want to put a discus or angel in a 29 gallon!
I would love to watch this tank once set up!

under stock
over filter
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking about 2 or 3 96w AH supply kits... but not sure if I would have good results..

Is that too much light without CO2? 288 watts..

As for maintaince I just want to be able to trim and rescape once per week or less when the water changes are done..

I am planning on just easy plants now.. Stems, Moss, Java Furn, Fox Tail, Crypts, Lillys, Swords ect... Not really intrested in a lawn of HC or anything like that...

Are there any TF wholesalers that will sell to a hobbiest? I would like to buy 25+ hachett fish and like 50+ rasboras.. that many fish at the LFS gets really pricey...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5Goat View Post
I was thinking about 2 or 3 96w AH supply kits... but not sure if I would have good results..

Is that too much light without CO2? 288 watts..

As for maintaince I just want to be able to trim and rescape once per week or less when the water changes are done..
That is too much light for a non-CO2 150 gallon tank. 192 watts would possibly be workable. If you plan to do weekly water changes you need to be dosing Excel. Otherwise, each water change will introduce some CO2, and that fluctuation in concentration of CO2 will likely trigger algae blooms. If you have good filtration you won't need to do water changes except maybe twice a year. Just add make up water to replace evaporated water.

Hoppy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I agree, 3x96 watts of AH supply fixtures is too much if you're not going with pressurized CO2. 2x96 is probably manageable; you may need to be sure to incorporate some floating plants in your plans, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode