Flow in my 75g, how to make BOTH the plants and fish happy?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flow in my 75g, how to make BOTH the plants and fish happy?!

so right now I am pretty sure I have too much flow and my fish are not enjoying it. I would like to correct this problem but still be able to provide enough flow to avoid algae issues due to poor plant growth.

what would be my best options for circulation but still keep my fish happy?

here is my current setup.

so what can i do to improve on this? as you can see from the photo my cardinals are hiding and they hide there all the time, i believe this is from flow as before it wasn't an issue.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

How many gallons per hour are all of your filters, powerheads, and circulation pumps pushing combined?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the power head is a koralia nano 425 (425gph)
filter is ehiem pro 3 2075 (330ghp)
total = 755gph
this is a low tech no co2 or excel tank

after slate / substrate / wood i probably only got 60g on water in there

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ever consider making the flows collide in the middle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

I put my intakes as low as I could on one end of the tank and my outflows on the other end pointing down into the tank. It seems to work pretty well. I did have to add a small powerhead on the outflow side down near the bottom of the back glass pointing over to the intake side as I have some think plants back there that tend to block the flow.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Basically I am trying to optimize my flow only using my filter while still maintaining good surface agitation. I find that with the power head it is just too much for the fish and quite possibly too much for the plants. I originally got the power head in the early stages of this setup due to algae but now I am LG free for the most part so I'm going to try running without it in hopes to make my fish happier.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you have enough horsepower in your filter, you shouldn't need the extra power heads.

I find the intake/output setup that you depict works very well and there isn't any n eyed for more I n my tanks. How do I know that? Drop a pinch of small, sinking pellets ( the sink very slowly) and watch them move through the tank. If there are no significant obstacles in the top inch or two, flow will be very thorough throughout the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so basically you're saying I don't need the power head? I don't think I really need it either at this point but I wasn't really sure. I know I just didn't want to mess with anything too much and cause in the house yo break but now seeing how my fish react when I turn off the power head they seem to be happier so that is more important to me.who knows it might even help out the plants, I read that high flow can sometimes be detrimental to plant but good circulation is important.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I would drop the powerhead and just angle the spray bar slightly upwards so it agitates the water. Without knowjng the full history of the tank, I'd imagine the powerhead is what's spooking your cardinals. (A big black thing that makes tons of noise and shoots a high power water stream is probably dangerous looking to a small tetra like your cardinals.)

Upping your circulation to curb your algae sounds like a roundabout way of trying to maintain your tank. Try to fix the underlying issue that's causing the algae e.g. too much excess light, not enough co2, nutrient excess, etc. If you can tell us what kinds of algae you had problems with before, we might be able to help you troubleshoot the problem.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ditch the powerhead and look into a Elite filter as a powerhead instead they still have flow but nothing like what you are running now powerhead wise it might just do the trick pretty sure petco or petsmart carries them or u can find them on the bay I have one in my 30 gal as a powerhead
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have pretty much done just that. Power head has been gone now for a few days and its making all the difference with my fish.

Spray bar is pointing towards the surface at a pretty aggressive angle now, makes like a water fountain noise.

In terms of the algae I did have was: bba, hair/thread algae, gsa, and diatoms. But the tank was new and thus I expected it.

No algae exists in my tank for right now, minus a bit of bba that is only on the very most top part of the driftwood by the light. I spray the wood with peroxide every few months to kill it.

Now that the power head is gone I will be monitoring everything closely to see if anything changes.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

https://www.filtersfast.com/mobile/P...-Fish-Tank.asp

Bump: I take the little hose off and the filter at the bottom only has a sponge in it I trash that too I just use the mini pump as a little powerhead it has an adjustable nozzle it works good with out crazy flow
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Planted Member

I have a 72 gallon bow and recently changed things around a bit. I have a Fluval 406 (383GPH rated) on the right side with the outflow pointed towards the left. On the left (where you have the Koralia) I also have a Koralia but the nano 240 pointed down towards the substrate and towards the right.

It generates a slow circular flow and everything seems to be fine. I don't have a spray bar though so I'm sure that changes things a bit. Before this, I had the Fluval, an Emperor 400 HOB and TWO 660GPH powerheads. It was a water hurricane in there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode