LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
k38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Open tanks

Hello,

Back in the hobby after long absence.

I see many open tanks on this site, and indeed, the tank I'm setting up, a Nuvo Fusion 20, has a screen top, for all intents and purposes an open tank (does keep the critters from jumping out). Back in the day, open tanks were frowned upon because of stuff getting into the water from the air. I wonder what's changed in the thinking of aquarists. I know of course that there are still plenty of canopies and hoods still out there.

What about it? Do you worry about atmospheric pollutants?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Bill, Like you I was out for a long time and just got back. I did add tops to both of my tanks because here in Colorado it is so dry evaporation is a real problem, but I think what has changed is Lights and the growing of plants. Glass tops reduce your lights by around 10%, anyway that's what I've been told. I actually forgot we use to worry about pollutants from aerosols and cleaning supplies.

The wheel turns.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

i havent worried too much about contamination. i do have to add about a gallon of h2o a week just to keep the water level where i want it.

but i have a heat lamp for my turtles to bask under haha

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you use any common sense there is little danger from air pollutants. Many of us also change about half the water in our tanks every week, which dilutes whatever accidentally gets in the water. Also, any gaseous pollutants get into the water even if there is a glass cover on the tank. The tank is never sealed off from the air.

Hoppy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
There's also been several decades now of manufacturers and consumers moving away from heavy use of aerosol products and towards a much better understanding of it *not* being healthy to spray irritants and potentially toxic chemicals in the air and on the surfaces we routinely touch.

Living in Arizona, evaporation is a constant with my tanks but it's well worth the hassle of keeping them topped off and doing a few extra heavy water changes to combat creeping TDS levels as, along with all the usual benefits involving light levels, accessibility, etc., they're also wonderful natural humidifiers. My skin, nasal passages and houseplants are all much happier with a few extra gallons of water in the air.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
k38
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you use any common sense there is little danger from air pollutants. Many of us also change about half the water in our tanks every week, which dilutes whatever accidentally gets in the water. Also, any gaseous pollutants get into the water even if there is a glass cover on the tank. The tank is never sealed off from the air.
Common sense, water changes, both good things. And no tank is or should be sealed completely off from the atmosphere. Having said that, I notice a film forming on the surface of still RO water in my house--non-smoking, very little use of aerosols, malodorous chemicals, greasy cooking, etc. Of course vigorous surface movement will disperse this film, but then it's just being mixed into the water column.

But clearly many highly successful tanks are uncovered . . .

Bill
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Surface skimmer - removes dust, small leaf parts, etc.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For me having fish jumping out is enough for me to have a top. I would say in the last year I have lost at least 10 fish from jumping out. I see no advantage to keeping the a tank without top. All you will do is be add a lot of water.

Last edited by Clear Water; 12-03-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: 1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Film that gets mixed with the water finds its way into the filter where it gets removed. Surface skimmer is another way of getting rid of the surface scum.

I have mostly open top tanks, and like the looks of driftwood and some plants growing out of the tops of the tanks.
I might go back to covered, though, for heat retention.
They sure were evaporating through the summer, though!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
For me having fish jumping out is enough for me to have a top. I would say in the last year I have lost at least 10 fish from jumping out. I see no advantage to keeping the a tank without top. All you will do is be add a lot of water.
Its all personal preference at the end of the day. I removed the glass tops years ago and I will never return to them. Extra parts to clean, in the way of feeding and tank maintenance, less atmospheric exposure for gas exchange and limits hardscaping just as Diana stated.

I look at the evaporation as a good thing. Once I loose 1/4 of a my tank, I know its time to do tank maintenance and change the water. Running a sump will eliminate the evaporation in a display tank. This and the fact that equipment can be relocated from the display are two reasons many including myself are turning to sumps.

As Hoppy mentioned, there is really little to worry about when it comes to contaminants when a little logic is applied. I have only encountered 2 jumpers in my 13 years in the hobby. Having jumpers really depends on the species of fish being kept. Any fish can potentially jump but there are certain ones that do it notoriously.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Its all personal preference at the end of the day. I removed the glass tops years ago and I will never return to them. Extra parts to clean, in the way of feeding and tank maintenance, less atmospheric exposure for gas exchange and limits hardscaping just as Diana stated.

I look at the evaporation as a good thing. Once I loose 1/4 of a my tank, I know its time to do tank maintenance and change the water. Running a sump will eliminate the evaporation in a display tank. This and the fact that equipment can be relocated from the display are two reasons many including myself are turning to sumps.

As Hoppy mentioned, there is really little to worry about when it comes to contaminants when a little logic is applied. I have only encountered 2 jumpers in my 13 years in the hobby. Having jumpers really depends on the species of fish being kept. Any fish can potentially jump but there are certain ones that do it notoriously.
Why I don't disagree with you on a cover for a tank and I have gone without myself but have had to add water two times a week.

But to use evaporation as a guide to maintenance wouldn't work for me. I'm just to organize to let it go on hit or miss. I use a schedule and stick to it pretty much. But the lost of fish drives me crazy. Three week in a q/t tank and no sooner in there main tank and to the floor they go. Try keeping hatch fish without a cover.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode