Co2/fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
Co2/fish

So I've have been pumping co2 in my 60gal (48x13x24) for maybe 3weeks now. I'm only at say 4-5 bps, using an azoo regulator with a fluval bubble counter. I'm also using a ceramic disc to disperse to co2. It seems like every time I adjust it my fish start to breathe faster but they don't hang out at the surface, they swim normally. It's mostly my rainbows and angel, but the sae , corys and Molly's don't seem to care. I just want to get my co2 up as I'm about 20ppm per the kh/ph chart, drop checker should be here by tomorrow. Plants look ok but I know they could look better. I'm at 40par with the lights.

So is this length of time normal? I feel like this is taking maybe too long?

Thanks
-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The advantage of a drop checker is that it tells you when you are getting in the ballpark where the fish might be affected. If it isn't green or yellow green, the fish can't be affected at all. When I was starting with CO2 I was so sensitive to not bothering the fish that I had more like 5-10 ppm of CO2 at most before I was sure the fish were starting their death dance. But, I eventually learned that fish can do lots of things we don't even notice when we aren't worried about them, and I finally did get too much CO2, and the effect on the fish was then obvious - they all clustered up in a top corner, like they were sucking air from that corner. Occasionally some would lay on the substrate or just lose all of their color. All of those are good signs that you have gone too far with the CO2. I lost some fish before I was sure that those were real signs.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I'm a fish guy first then plants. At lot of the plant tops were growing very small but some of the new leaves are getting back to normal now that I bumped it up. So I guessing I'm getting closer. Is the big gulps or faster mouth movement normal as long as they aren't at the surface?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks hoppy, you gave me a little more courage to bump the co2 up and will continue to do so safely of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The advantage of a drop checker is that it tells you when you are getting in the ballpark where the fish might be affected. If it isn't green or yellow green, the fish can't be affected at all. When I was starting with CO2 I was so sensitive to not bothering the fish that I had more like 5-10 ppm of CO2 at most before I was sure the fish were starting their death dance. But, I eventually learned that fish can do lots of things we don't even notice when we aren't worried about them, and I finally did get too much CO2, and the effect on the fish was then obvious - they all clustered up in a top corner, like they were sucking air from that corner. Occasionally some would lay on the substrate or just lose all of their color. All of those are good signs that you have gone too far with the CO2. I lost some fish before I was sure that those were real signs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode