Duckweed, are you against it or for it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Duckweed, are you against it or for it?

I got some water vals in today, and what did I find on them but duckweed. So I picked all the duckweed off, and put them in a bowl in a window. What are your pros and cons to Duckweed? I am leaning towards putting it in my tank cuz it will be a nice food source for my pearl gouramis and from what I have read its really good at keeping algae at bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have anything that would feed on it so it would end up being a nuisance to me. I've had it hitch hike in (years ago) before and while not impossible to get rid of it is quite the PITA to eliminate, now with multiple tanks were I to get it keeping it isolated to a solitary tank would be a nightmare.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would take a 6 mo long persistent invasion of gha and bba over a slight infestation of dw.

including all loss of fish, id take that over dw.

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post
I would take a 6 mo long persistent invasion of gha and bba over a slight infestation of dw.

including all loss of fish, id take that over dw.

Just the opposite here. I'll deal with duckweed over scraping film algae off glass and plants any day of the week. There's nothing more tedious and annoying than scraping glass.

Most of my 24 tanks are barebottom angelfish rearing tanks. Pea-sized angels eat the roots off of DW and it dies....fast. That combined with an intense water change schedule and I can barely grow the stuff. I keep a planted 180G, 40G and some guppy and Apisto tanks with some DW in there, those are an absolute maintenance dream by comparison to the rearing tanks that have minimal nitrates or phosphates.

I have such a hard time keeping it alive, I specifically ask for it when I see it in any of the LFS I get to visit.

Like snails, DW reflects water conditions. Both will multiply in direct correlation to food availability. And no, I can't even grow stinkin' bladder snails, lol!

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I keep it in a 10 gallon mixed tropical tank and a 33 long coldwater stream tank. It has never remotely grown close to nuisance levels. I like it. It does cling to your arm while you're working in the tank, but I don't think that's a huge problem. I can avoid it pretty easily. I like the look, as well as its purported benefits to water quality.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a love hate relationship with all of my floaters. I love how they look. They provide food and hours of fun for my invertebrates. But the duckweed is messy, clogs my filter and....grows like a weed. I have to cull handfuls of it every week or two. But...it seems worth it when I look at my floater mix above my shrimp tank. So pretty.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
I have a love hate relationship with all of my floaters. I love how they look. They provide food and hours of fun for my invertebrates. But the duckweed is messy, clogs my filter and....grows like a weed. I have to cull handfuls of it every week or two. But...it seems worth it when I look at my floater mix above my shrimp tank. So pretty.

What do you mean by "clogs my filter" like once in a while? Every day? My filter intake is about 8" below the water's surface, can the duckweed really clog it that far down?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
What do you mean by "clogs my filter" like once in a while? Every day? My filter intake is about 8" below the water's surface, can the duckweed really clog it that far down?
The Beautiful mess I showed you is growing in a Fluval Spec. The intake for the Spec is a grate at the top of the tank that pulls water into a giant sponge. The output to the filter creates a current which blows the duckweed into the filter chamber where it eventually gets starved for light. It dies and makes a layer of rotting plants on the surface of the sponge. I have to keep a very regular schedule on water changes to keep the sponge clean

I think you should be ok with the kind of filtration you have. I contaminated my Fluval Edge with the duckweed. The edge has an HOB filter. The duckweed would still get into that filter but it seemed to survive and not clog things up

Last edited by Varmint; 12-01-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Adding to post
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
The Beautiful mess I showed you is growing in a Fluval Spec. The intake for the Spec is a grate at the top of the tank that pulls water into a giant sponge. The output to the filter creates a current which blows the duckweed into the filter chamber where it eventually gets starved for light. It dies and makes a layer of rotting plants on the surface of the sponge. I have to keep a very regular schedule on water changes to keep the sponge clean

I think you should be ok with the kind of filtration you have. I contaminated my Fluval Edge with the duckweed. The edge has an HOB filter. The duckweed would still get into that filter but it seemed to survive and not clog things up

OK, thx
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm fine with it. I haven't found it that hard to eradicate it. And thinning it out provides some great fertilizer for my house plants.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's a toss up for me. It's worked really well in some tanks and been a bloody nuisance in others--all comes down to how well it likes the conditions and whether it causes problems with that particular tank setup in terms of clogging filters, getting caught in moss/fine leaved plants, growing so heavily that it out-competes other floaters or becomes a headache to keep thinned.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
My low tech tanks yes, they help keep the nitrate in check. Here is how I keep my 55g

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have it in 2 tanks currently. I just scooped out all I could today with a net but if just one piece survived it will grow back. One piece always survives. I used to scoop it out and feed it to my goldfish. They loved it and I loved growing fresh veggies for them. It's ok. I just decided today that my plants needed more light. It does blow down into the water and clog the filter intake. Not thoroughly clog but cover the intake. For me I know it will grow back.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm for it, but i cannot get it to grow. I have a turbulent waters and they end up drowning. Kinda sucks because i hear they're a huge help.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like it. It keeps fish from jumping out of my tank with the problematic lid. It multiplies like crazy, yes, but I can just scoop it out if I need to. I have no need to remove all of it. It does get a bit annoying with all its sticking to my arm, but I don't mind too much.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode