Aquaponics anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
seove's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 44
Aquaponics anyone?

I have a small grow bed in my FW refugium that's doing pretty good. I'm new at it and would like to to upgrade and learn about new ideas
seove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
Can you show us what you have?
Pictures?
Describe the daily cycle? Does the planted bed get flooded and drained?
What kind of lighting do you have for these plants?
Is the aquarium planted? (competition for the aquaponics bed)
Diana is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
seove's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Can you show us what you have?
Pictures?
Describe the daily cycle? Does the planted bed get flooded and drained?
What kind of lighting do you have for these plants?
Is the aquarium planted? (competition for the aquaponics bed)
I flood it twice a week at water changes. It's above the water line so I don't have to do anything special to flood it. I have two florescent lights and they run about 12 hours per night. The DT is planted. The trickle filter makes it hard to grow plants because it makes it hard to maintain CO2 but they are now thriving. The plants (in the pic) are sweet potato and Lucky Bamboo. I was thinking about trying something else but not sure what.

Here's a pic. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=70738
seove is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: beeville tx
Posts: 139
plants, aquatics + houseplants &

I'm raising lettuce, chard, tomatoes, herbs, etc... constant flow wicking beds... Bettas, Platies, molleys, killies, least killies, snails, shrimp, scuds...
Plakatz is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by seove View Post
I flood it twice a week at water changes. It's above the water line so I don't have to do anything special to flood it. I have two florescent lights and they run about 12 hours per night. The DT is planted. The trickle filter makes it hard to grow plants because it makes it hard to maintain CO2 but they are now thriving. The plants (in the pic) are sweet potato and Lucky Bamboo. I was thinking about trying something else but not sure what.

Here's a pic. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=70738
Flood it twice a week??? Isn't there supposed to be a constant flood-drain cycle in aquaponics...

Anyways, my aquaponics system is based on bell siphon, and the flood-drain cycle time is about 18 mins...16 minutes to flood the grow-bed and then 2 minutes to drain it.

I am growing...lettuce, spinach, cilantro, scallion, peppers.
rrattani is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
seove's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrattani View Post
Flood it twice a week??? Isn't there supposed to be a constant flood-drain cycle in aquaponics...

Anyways, my aquaponics system is based on bell siphon, and the flood-drain cycle time is about 18 mins...16 minutes to flood the grow-bed and then 2 minutes to drain it.

I am growing...lettuce, spinach, cilantro, scallion, peppers.
I'm new at it and don't have the typical setup with clay. I'm using a sand mixture so it is holding moisture a little longer. I have to upgrade at some point.
seove is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
AquaAurora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: north east cost US
Posts: 5,738
Spend a few hours on youtube, lot of videos on the various aspects of aquaponics and the many ways to set them up (and what you can grow with them).

Have you eaten any of the sweet potatoes yet?

I had an NFT aqauponic system hooked up to my 55g when I kept a pleco in there to help with nitrates (because it ate any plants in the water). Its basically planter cups in a pvc pipe hooked up to the outflow of my canister filte. Use T5 4ft 2 bubl 6500k lights and expanded clay pebble media. Grew lettuce like mad, also had cilantro that grew and bloomed. The lettuce ended up begin very stalk (tall) because I originally waited too long to transfer it to the aquaponics system after it sprouted. it grew up past the lights then would bend over from its own weight and repeat. Amusingly I'm not a fan of lettuce, but my husband said it was wonderfully tender and flavorful.










bonus shot: the poop monster that fed the plants


I broke the system down a few months ago after re-homing the pleco.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaAurora is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
seove's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 44
Nice photos!

I haven't eaten any of the sweet potatoes because my setup is too small and too new. I just moved the sweet potato from water to dirt a few months ago. Also, I've used chemicals in the aquarium so I don't plan on consuming any. I do feed the yellowing leaves to the aquarium and refugium.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Spend a few hours on youtube, lot of videos on the various aspects of aquaponics and the many ways to set them up (and what you can grow with them).

Have you eaten any of the sweet potatoes yet?

I had an NFT aqauponic system hooked up to my 55g when I kept a pleco in there to help with nitrates (because it ate any plants in the water). Its basically planter cups in a pvc pipe hooked up to the outflow of my canister filte. Use T5 4ft 2 bubl 6500k lights and expanded clay pebble media. Grew lettuce like mad, also had cilantro that grew and bloomed. The lettuce ended up begin very stalk (tall) because I originally waited too long to transfer it to the aquaponics system after it sprouted. it grew up past the lights then would bend over from its own weight and repeat. Amusingly I'm not a fan of lettuce, but my husband said it was wonderfully tender and flavorful.










bonus shot: the poop monster that fed the plants


I broke the system down a few months ago after re-homing the pleco.
seove is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
AquaAurora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: north east cost US
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by seove View Post
Nice photos!

I haven't eaten any of the sweet potatoes because my setup is too small and too new. I just moved the sweet potato from water to dirt a few months ago. Also, I've used chemicals in the aquarium so I don't plan on consuming any. I do feed the yellowing leaves to the aquarium and refugium.
Thanks. What did you use in the tank for chemicals?
I was fortunate enough, the fish in the 55 never got sick so never had medication used. Only chemical used for the tank was Seachem Prime (dechlorinator).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaAurora is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
seove's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Thanks. What did you use in the tank for chemicals?
I was fortunate enough, the fish in the 55 never got sick so never had medication used. Only chemical used for the tank was Seachem Prime (dechlorinator).
I'm using Excel plant fertilizer, plant anchors, dechlorinator, and water conditioner. I'm growing plants simply to filter the water and to have fun learning about aquaponics.
seove is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by seove View Post
I'm using Excel plant fertilizer, plant anchors, dechlorinator, and water conditioner. I'm growing plants simply to filter the water and to have fun learning about aquaponics.
I am really confused about your setup...you said you flood the grow bed twice a week...Now you say you are growing plants to filter the water...

How is this keeping your water filtered...Or do you grow plants in the aquarium and then move them out...I am confused.

Do you collect and reuse the water that passes through your grow bed?
rrattani is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
seove's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrattani View Post
I am really confused about your setup...you said you flood the grow bed twice a week...Now you say you are growing plants to filter the water...

How is this keeping your water filtered...Or do you grow plants in the aquarium and then move them out...I am confused.

Do you collect and reuse the water that passes through your grow bed?
After the sweet potato slips reach a certain length they will extend into the water and will root. They can also can be snipped and rooted in the overflow filter. I can also flood the bed daily if I simply shut off the return pump for a minute. Still trying to figure out how much water the plants will tolerate. They were previously growing in water but the roots started to suffer so I'm giving them some time to recuperate. This is not an optimal design but I'm happy with it. It's a work in progress.
seove is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome