true sae and pygmy corys planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
true sae and pygmy corys planted tank

The tank is a planted 55 gallon and houses 20 tetras, 20 amanos, 3 otos, a true siamese algae eater, and 10 pygmy corys. I try to feed the corys hikari wafers and micro pellets but the more aggressive sae and amanos usually get the bulk of the food. I've tried breaking-up wafers and feeding after lights-out but observe more aggressive species-including tetra- intercepting feed.Furthermore, the sae harasses the corys at feeding time- nips at them and they flee. Contrary to what i've read on forums the corys are reclusive and invisible most of the time. In addition, it seems self-defeating to over feed the amano shrimp and sae algae grazers. I'm in the process of trapping and transferring the corys to their own 10 gallon tank although its completely carpeted with hairgrass and may present a whole other set of problems. any feedback appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had good luck with these sinking pellets.

They sink to the bottom of the tank and then kind of disintegrate into shrimp dust after a few minutes.

When I drop mine into my tank, the tiger barbs and other fish try to nip at them, but don't can't eat them, and the corries feast on them after they've fallen to the substrate.

For what its worth, I first bought "Wardly" brand pellets without much luck, the corries seem much more interested in this "Omega One" brand pellets. Just my experience, your results may vary.

DIY Enthusiast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe you could try satisfying the SAE and Amano's first with veggie flakes/sticks and wafers? Once they're finished gorging, then feed blackworms or something else that will stimulate a feeding response like BBS. I've never seen mine eat anything but blackworms, and I feed everything you've mentioned as well. I haven't tried feeding the shrimp sticks yet. One more thing: you have to kind of target feed the cories until they learn that you're feeding them. I'd recommend using a turkey baster to give them live foods like chilled live BBS or live blackworms, until they realize that the turkey baster is giving them food, then have them hand feed, and finally start giving them the wafers and pellets you mentioned. It works with wild caught fish quite well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
The tank is a planted 55 gallon and houses 20 tetras, 20 amanos, 3 otos, a true siamese algae eater, and 10 pygmy corys. I try to feed the corys hikari wafers and micro pellets but the more aggressive sae and amanos usually get the bulk of the food. I've tried breaking-up wafers and feeding after lights-out but observe more aggressive species-including tetra- intercepting feed.Furthermore, the sae harasses the corys at feeding time- nips at them and they flee. Contrary to what i've read on forums the corys are reclusive and invisible most of the time. In addition, it seems self-defeating to over feed the amano shrimp and sae algae grazers. I'm in the process of trapping and transferring the corys to their own 10 gallon tank although its completely carpeted with hairgrass and may present a whole other set of problems. any feedback appreciated.
Honestly, the pygmies should be with other micro fish, not the SAE's. The SAE's in my opinion, and experience, are much too large for the pygmies. And if they aren't right now, they will be. Get some micro tetra or rasboras. Or even shrimp to put in with the pygmies.

I feed my pygmies chopped bloodworm, daphnia, micro pellets, and baby brine shrimp. They have very tiny mouths, so you need to keep it small. I occasionally give them crab cuisine, because when I had shrimp in the tank they would get in the bowl and eat it. But they wait until it's partially dissolved.

My Toys; 100 gal. Clown Loach tank, 40 breeder community tank, 7.5 gal Emerald Rasboras, & Dwarf Cories, 17 Gal. Aquascaped Rimless Cube, Pygmy Cories, Embers, Dwarf Cories, Amano Shrimp, 3 plant/shrimp tanks, 300 gallon formal water lily pond, 150 gal. pond.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good idea to move the Cories.
Hiding out, and not getting the food are good indicators that this is not a good tank for them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Good idea to move the Cories.
Hiding out, and not getting the food are good indicators that this is not a good tank for them.
x2 on that, i had a problem with my raphael striped feeding around my sae's, cray, and shrimp....so i made more space for movement, dropped food to the substrate all over the tank so not just one place had food, ended up lowering the competitiveness of my bottom feeders.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was going to suggest feeding small pellets so there is a lot of different place the food drops to. This is something that happen when you get a lot of bottom fish. I also always divide my algae wafers so there more than one place the food in available.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a big SAE over one ur old (full grown) and I will never buy one again. I suppose they are somewhat interesting just because they are large but it is a useless fish. It doesn't touch algae, just eats fish food. It is also skittish and randomly darts across my 90G scaring everything else in the tank (and sometimes outright chasing other fish). I am switching over to a horde of Otto cats

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode