Suggestions for new setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions for new setup

I haven't been here in awhile! So a little background: I used to be pretty into planted tanks, though only ever low-tech, but when my husband and I bought a house and I suddenly had room for more tanks, the hobby has taken a new direction for me, and I have been going bigger, and bigger. I find I am more attracted to some of the bigger fish with bigger personality, so I am in the process of building a 700g monster tank for some giant cichlids and oddballs. I am up to 7 tanks right now, smallest 40g, largest 155g, most are 75g, and I have found I am getting over whelmed with the number of tanks, so I will be reducing the number by half when I get the big tank up and going. One tanks I was torn on what to do with was my Saltwater tank. I liked that it was different than my other tanks, and since I'm growing macro algae it was bright and pretty, plus the fish are different. But it is just a lot of hassle compared to FW, especially how important but difficult it is to quarantine in SW. Well my lone SW fish just died, so that has decided it - I am going to get rid of my SW. But, I still want a tank that is smaller that I can mess with some kind of plants (can't in my big tanks because of the fish, and amount of lighting needed - I just have pothos on those) and I do have some smaller fish I was going to get rid of because they would be eaten in my large tanks.

So here is my plan,
Equipment:
20g long tank
2ft Coralife Compact florescent light (from my SW tank)
Powerhead sponge filter
Substrate?? (suggestions? not expensive please! or I'll just do potting soil kitty litter, which is what I have done in the past.)
Id rather not do CO2 , but with this strong of a light...
Hardscape will be some large natural black rocks, and maybe some twinny driftwood.

Stock:
4 Kuhli loaches (already have, and was going to get rid of)
1 Circumcintus eel (already have, only gets 6 inches - about 3.5 currently)
3 Otos (already have)
5 African Dwarf Frogs (going to add - love these guys, but haven't had a compatible tank for them in awhile)
I'll probably add some harlequin rasboras as a schooling fish, because they are my favorite small schooler - but I am open to suggestions.
Probably put one (or some) of my bettas in there too. If I don't add the bettas though, how would pea puffer do? I really wanted a SW puffer...

Plants:
I want to keep it simple, not too many varieties. I want plants that grow fast enough to keep the algae at bay, but not so fast I constantly have to maintain them.
I am thinking:
Some kind of moss (maybe? suggestions?)
A foreground plant (suggestions?)
Dwarf sag and/or some crypts
Some type of red Ludwiga or Rotala (suggestions?)
Something like Cabomba (suggestions?)
Maybe a tiger lotus or some pennywort?

Any other comments or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone? I'm especially interested in in substrate suggestions.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't know how much of I help I can be cuz I am very new to the hobby and I only have one 46gal tank. But here goes.
Substrate
I would do potting soil mixed with peat moss topped with sand or gravel
Stock
I also love harlequins (though I've never had them) I do know that pea puffers need to be ALONE they are not a community fish, and are worse then male bettas as far as aggression.
Plants
I assume you meant ludwigia not ludwiga? Anyways, for a red ludwigia and rotala you could do ludwigia rapens and rotala colorata. I have both in my tank

Bump: Just as a question. Where do you buy a 700gal tank. That's insanity. LOL. Will it be outside?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I have done potting soil before, in fact that is the only substrate I have used for planted tanks, I was just curious if it's worth looking into some other substrates.

I am not buying a 700g tank, I am building it myself out of plywood, pondliner and a glass panel for viewing. WAY, way cheaper! It will be in my basement, and will house a bunch of Oscars, Severums, some big Vieja, parachromis, Peacock bass, Fire eel, giraffe catfish, a school of bala sharks and a big Hi-fin shark. Pretty excited ! Im hoping it will be done by the end of January, but it depends on getting some of my other setups sold to pay for it!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
COOL, now I'M getting excited about YOUR tank! I don't know if you already thought of this, but you could set up one of you old tanks for feeder fish instead of selling it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well beside the 700g tank I'll still have my 155g, 90g and a 40g tanks up. Any maybe this 20g long planted tank if I decide to do this. I don't really want anymore tanks than that up!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode