Help required, Anubias rotting ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help required, Anubias rotting !

Hi, I'm a new member to the forum and was looking for some advice regarding my Anubias.

I recently bought some Anubias Barteri online and it arrived in beautiful condition with a big hefty root system.

It came in 2 pieces so I didnt need to cut it, I just attached each rhizome to a large piece of bogwood I've had in the tank for about a year.

Within 2 weeks I noticed the roots and base of the leaves begin to turn brown, so I whipped the whole piece of bogwood out of the tank to inspect it further.

I notice that 2 out of 3 specimens of some Anubias Lanceolata I've kept successfully for over a year were also suffering from the same problem.

The roots which turned brown fell apart as sludge as soon as I touched them, leaving just a fibrous inner root.

Several leaves also fell off as soon as I pulled it from the water and I notced the base internodes that attach to the rhizome were brown and soft.

I proceeded to detach the plants from the bogwood to remove any dead parts and to my horror discovered that the complete underside of the rhizomes of each plant were brown and mushy and disintegrated on touch.

Suffice to say I've lost pretty much all of my Anubias apart from one Lanceolata which seems largely unaffected.

When I took the bogwood out I noticed it was very soft to the touch so I began to scrape it with a scalpel.

I found that there was a layer of what I can only assume is rotten wood covering the entire piece and I ended up removing loads of surface, dark brown/black sediment from it.

I've hosed it down and it looks ok, you can see the clean,light coloured, solid wood underneath now as it looked when I bought it.

It seems as if this is the culprit, but can rotten wood really have that affect on plants ? Especially ones as hardy as Anubias ?

I've left it in the bath for now because I'm considering binning it and starting again but it's such a lovely shaped piece of wood that fits perfectly in my tank.

Just for added info my tank is an Aqua One Aquanano 40, all water parameters seem fine, I dose with ferts every other water change, it's been up and running for close to 3 years now.

I'm successfully growing dwarf sag and water lettuce which haven't been affected and are doing well.

My lighting is the new Aqua One 10watt LED

I have 6 Black Phantom Tetras, a glass cat and 3 Otocinclus which are also doing well.

Any help would be great as I'm pretty annoyed at the loss and dont want to buy any more plants until I can narrow this down.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Gary,

Welcome to TPT; I see this is your first post!

It sounds like 'Anubias Disease'; I don't recall seeing it discussed much on this forum but here is a thread that may help.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the welcome and for the link, that is exactly the problem I'm having, my plants look identical.

Even though it's bad news at least I know what to do now, burn it all with fire !

Cheers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Gary,

Glad to help! There are several threads on that forum dealing with the issue; just search anubias disease.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 11-29-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: ..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode