How much can you trim rhizome plants' holdfasts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much can you trim rhizome plants' holdfasts?

I've got a few anubias that have their root/holdfasts hanging out into space. I'd like to trim them to accentuate the shape of the driftwood rather than obscure it, but I don't want to hurt the plants. I have read that holdfasts don't absorb nutrients, but these ones on anubias sure look like roots. So, how much can you cut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone have any experience trimming anubias roots?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I cut the roots off to fit where I need them and the plants do fine. I have cut off sickly leaves and all the roots and then cut those rhizomes into 2" bits and all but 1 or 2 sprouted and grew.

Anubias attach firmly to wood and rock and if the roots do get into substrate the plants do grow much larger. I just evicted one from the front of the tank with leaves bigger than my big toenail that got roots to the substrate where other Anubias that are just on wood/rock have leaves the size of my thumbnails.

I wouldn't be cutting them off as part of general pruning though. Maybe if you cut them off the new roots would attach strongly to the wood rather than float off into the water though. It would be worth the try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

I always cut all the roots what I attach an anubia to something. After that I never cut the roots, but I don't think it would cause problems to the plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode