Tankmates for a pair of Blue Rams in 20L. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tankmates for a pair of Blue Rams in 20L.

Hello, I'm looking for a some suggestions on stocking the 20 long tank I am slowly putting together. I want other fish that are interesting to watch, and can coexist with the rams. I am more interested in fish that 2 inches plus. Not a fan of tiny fish. Any suggestions? Right now they are in a 15 tall with a single platy. They do fine with him, but I plan on letting him keep the 15 tall. I'm trying to come up with some sort of stocking idea for the 20 long when its all set up. It will be heavily planted. Thanks, Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
You could do

2 German blue rams
1 powder blue dwarf gourami
5 marbled hatchets
12+ red cherry shrimp

That's what I would do

Last edited by fishyfishy101; 11-26-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: cuz
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Well, I always thought cardinal tetra were a good combo with GBR. But if you're sticking to your 2" rule then they don't quite come to that measure.

At any rate, my thoughts are a shoal of fish, not individual species. Maybe emperor tetras? They get bigger, around 2" to 3" and have pretty nice colors. You could probably do a group of those, maybe 8 or 10, depending on how heavily planted and how good your filtration is.

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Swordtails

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like fishyfishy suggestions. Never had a gourami before. Already have the cherry shrimp to add. Never kept hatchets either. Look like an interesting stock list. Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjryan2176 View Post
I like fishyfishy suggestions. Never had a gourami before. Already have the cherry shrimp to add. Never kept hatchets either. Look like an interesting stock list. Thanks

Glad I could help ��
dwarf gouramis are not that hard, but u have you make sure you add some floating plant like anacharsis, frogbit, water lettuce, ECT. As far as hatchets go I've never kept them either, lol. They seem pretty easy to care for, and are currently on my list if fish for my next tank.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hatchets: Jumpers, but a good combo with GBR.
Emperor, Penquin, Pencils: Generally slower moving schools. Good combo with GBR.
Swordtails: Hard water fish. I would not keep them together with GBR (soft water fish)
Gourami: Top of the tank territorial, usually OK with lower swimming fish. Not sure about combining them with Hatchets, but good with the other soft water fish including GBR.
Cardinals: Good with GBR, though they tend to stay a bit lower in the tank.
Shrimp: I would test just a few. Might get eaten, especially if your goal is to have somewhat larger (ie: 2") fish.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the info. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I changed my mind. I wouldn't mind doing ng a larger school of smaller fish. Could glow light tetras work. I was considering cardinals, bit they seem to die easily. I ordered a t5 fixture, heater, and an aqualclear 50. All I need now is the substrate. I was thinking dirt capped with sand. Anyway, anymore suggestions? Like I said, I do like the thought of a larger school of smaller fish. Any other options out there? Thanks Matt.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Glowlights are a good choice.
Small enough to get a good sized school in there. Active to watch, but not frantic. Their calm behavior will help the Rams come out of hiding.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have 10 bloodfin tetras in my tank. they seem happy but a little shy at times.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks folks. I think I'll get some glow lights. Easy to find some healthy one locally. I'll add them first after the cycle. Give them home field advantage. My rams are kinda jerks. I wanted to do Cories at first, but my rams hate them with a passion. Also don't now if they would appreciate those higher temps. They chased the ones they were in terrible. Even took some chunks out of their fins. Had to move them. Seriously, they are jerks. I think they are getting ready to breed. No fish is safe. They are alone in the 15 tall. There isn't room for any tankmates to be happy with them. Hopefully they will be nicer to the glow lights.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=mjryan2176;7026674]Hello, I'm looking for a some suggestions on stocking the 20 long tank I am slowly putting together.

(Hatchets are super jumpers and mho - having kept them and aquariums for 55 years, not keep them in the same tank - I kept mine in huge 50 gallon globes - found on web site after years of searching) Jumpy bettas as well. Glad you said no to gourami - bred them as a youngster (would breed and sell fish to local outlet) and need space.

I am sharing these links (hard to find and a few out of thousands over the years) as I will not be able to return to aquariums and want to pass them along.

This is a superb product (now for smaller home hobby but when I got it was for commercial situations) Biologist manager sent me a sample (little last a long time)

http://www.biodigesters.net/aquarium-products.htm

Added (here is the site for huge globes - if one chooses to buy one - they need to sit on anything with a hole in the platform - I used a chinese pot holder) (any thing that is a circle - just need to balance and fill with water slowly to make sure centered)

I found them originally at a plastic outlet in NYC but had to look for years until one day walking by a place with lamps I realized what they were and found this link! My old flickr photos with smaller globe and ONE betta (she went after corries in the 20 long planted) the other on a stand (spot lights) had one blue betta (sisters in 75 and they started to fight even in that so re housed them) The water looks murky but all was crystal clear (used product along with basic environmental controls such that when I sold my 75 guy who bought it asked if there was any water in it)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/214308...7622020140334/

http://www.complast.com/balls/index.htm

75 with "rock sculpture" hand on backgrounds (background in sculpture along with biochemistry so on) made from real rock and black plastic - (if any one interested can tell you how) sold to guy who bought it for his Cichlids.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/214308...7624858489949/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/214308...7626963975954/

.................................................. .................................................. .......................

As well, all fish are territorial, and need the extra space regardless of their size (as most already know the old one inch of fish per gallon of water was just that - I once rescued a ten inch pacu in a ten gallon aquarium at a local pet store - poor guy could not even turn around). When stressed fish release toxic hormones into the water - some of which are read as "stay away".

And any scaping, sand, rocks (caves) plants, filters so on take away actual water volume.

As well remember a school of smaller fish should be thought of as ONE large fish - they need their territory as well. I learned this the "hard way" (or rather the school of lamp eyes did) when a 20 long - planted tank was not sufficient for a school of 12-13. The top dog bullied each of them one by one until he was the only one left. In the 75 (with other fish) they started to breed.

MHO if you could get a 40 long then a beautiful school of x fish plus your pair (hopefully not two males) would be a great solution.

From site below - on tank mates for Blue rams. Maybe a school of Harlequin Rasbora - the color contrast. There are many poorly articles now that come up in searches (the links I mentioned are burred by paid advertisers) I read of much mis-information. Saying a school should be at least 3 - (really? They just do not thrive with small numbers and need that school to feel secure). In a 20 at least 7 or more but again, 20 long mho is just to small. 40 would be great but that's me (and long experience)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...amcompfaqs.htm

These fish BR's are inherently weakened now by poor breeding practices (unless you get a pair form local breeder) so it is paramount to give them the best environment.

"The majority of fish commercially available these days are bred on Asian fish farms and they are notoriously weak due to poor breeding practices and the use of hormones to enhance the color. There is no way (that I know of anyway) to tell where a blue ram was bred unless you happen to know the breeder or happen to know that it was wild caught. "

Two great sites: (both run by highly experienced people, background in business and breeding fish, writing books, articles).

Run by Bob Fenner (read his amazing bio!)

Academic experience includes fifteen years of college, a couple of life science degrees and a teaching credential for chemistry, physics and biology. Published works include several studies on aquatic biological and chemical questions, and an extensive book and article publishing (helped author a few books, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Fishwatcher's Guide to the Tropical Marine Aquarium Fishes of the World, Natural Marine Aquariums Reef Invertebrates...) and photographic background in aquatic industry and hobby fields. Have taught High School sciences and Marine Sciences and Aquariology courses at the State University, University of California levels.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WWMAdminS...ex/bobfbio.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/index.html

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...mreprofaqs.htm

.................................................. .

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....formation.html

Rams -

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sacichlids.html

Last edited by sherryazure; 12-19-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Links

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode