Fishless tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fishless tank

This might seem like a dumb question, but do you need to keep fish in a planted tank? Can you keep the plants without them.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nope, you don't need fish to keep a planted tank. Most people do, even if they only add the fish *after* the scape is set up and reasonably mature, for the added interest/movement that stock bring to the scape.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Lol yes u can keep fishless tanks and it actually makes it a lot easier as u can blast the co2 without worrying about gassing the fish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, you can keep plants without fish.

Fish and fish food do add certain nutrients to the water (mainly nitrogen and phosphorous) but in any proper planted tank you would be dosing these two elements as a fertilizer anyway.

Algae eaters are helpful for keeping plants free of algae and therefore healthier because the algae isn't blocking light / nutrients from the plant, so you will have to do without that but thats entirely possible if you're doing everything else right.

The good news is that you can really crank up the co2 and fertilizers without worrying about the fish's health though!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Have you considered houseplants? Be a heckuva lot easier.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I kept my 20g long fishless for over a month (when I thought the fish died of columnaris and i wasn't going to throw out all my plants) but I do have mts, pond, and ramshorn snails in all tanks so they gave nitrates. I also have a less than 1g no tech cube with some marimo I was given, no fauna at all in there but my tap has nitrates so topping off keeps the marimo fed. If you have no fauna at all and no nitrates in your water source you can get a nitrogen supplement (like Seachem Flourish Nitrogen) to feed plants in the place of fish/inverts.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Um, no offence, but why would u want a fishless tank?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Can't speak for the OP, but there's lots of reasons I can think of..

-Able to concentrate on learning to grow plants without additional burden of caring for fish--especially when first setting up C02 in order to avoid the risk of killing off stock during the initial learning curve

-experimenting with different plants/scapes, able to change tank parameters and do large scale alterations without stressing stock or having to relocate them during major changes. Also, having a fully realized design lets you pick the perfect fish to accent the finshed 'scape--not uncommon with competition tanks.

-being able to start on a 'scape and getting plants well established while still unsure of what stock is wanted and/or waiting to find/afford the desired stock.

-love the idea of a beautiful planted tank, but have previously gotten burned out dealing with the headache/heartache of losing fish to disease and illness and don't want to have to deal with it again.

Honestly, some of the competition tank (or competition level tanks) I've seen really don't need any fish in them at all to feel complete. Some I think would actually look *better* without any stock to distract from the illusions they create.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
Um, no offence, but why would u want a fishless tank?
Why would someone want to grow a garden with just flowers?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I want to focus on just the plants to get started. After I have made all the mistakes I need to make I plan to add some fish. Just don't want to torture fish while I learn. Ha!
My tank arrived this afternoon. Took me all afternoon to put the stand together and then get the lights set up. Next... the filter. It's a Fluval Studio 600, 33 gallon. I got it for 1/3 of the original price. May need more lights yet and I'm not sure about this filter. It was supposed to be a 205 but they gave me a 206. Seems kind of small but I'll give it a try before I invest in another one. Thanks for the responses.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Some people have different agendas. The mast majority of the aga contest tanks are fishless tanks. So why do people choose this route. Because that's their agenda. I am one of them. The tanks I will be setting up in my garage are set to be fishless tanks, all eight of them. Although I would like to make them as species tank down the road, that is not my goal to start. My goal is to create the most attractive aquascape that I can pull off. I want those aga contest type tank. Fish are secondary for me although I do have a 29g community tank currently running and a 90g community in the works. My multiple tank setups in the works, is for aquacapes only. If the tanks thrive, then I could welcome fish down the road. But as of now, I plant to go at least 12-24 months fishless once they are setup.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Last edited by flight50; 11-26-2014 at 03:32 AM. Reason: -
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
Why would someone want to grow a garden with just flowers?
I have plently of tanks without fish! Nothing wrong with that! I love scaping tanks and creating different landscapes and sometimes fish just get in the way

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Algae Grower

Adding shrimp to battle an algae problem made monitoring co2 levels a pain compared to having no livestock in there. It was much easier blasting co2 with no worries.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode