Just a small venting thread. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just a small venting thread.

I am relatively new to the hobby, but I spent months researching and cycling my tank before adding any fish. To my delight, seeing my tank inspired one of my friends to get their own tank, which they admitted to wanting for a long time. Despite my strong advice to do a fishless cycle, they proceeded to just add their fish to the tank without cycling.

Fastforward a bit, and I have dealt with and am still dealing with major disease and fish dying in my tank. Meanwhile I don't think my friend has lost any fish. Obviously I am thrilled that it turned out alright for them and their fish. But damn, if it doesn't go figure that I work so much harder than them on my tank and still come out with more problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is just like quarantine for new fishes. There is a recent thread on this here. Some have never done it without issues. Some have always did it. Some adopted quarantine routine after having gone through disaster.

Cycling is safe approach and there are several variables to consider. I did not cycle once and lost quite a few angels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some times the KISS method is the best
He might have diff water from you there are alot of variables but don't sweet it y'all get your tank on track it would of happened sooner or later now if it happens again you know how to deal with the issues it's all a learning curve keep your chin up and push forward

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What do your water tests say? pH, NO3, ammonia? Heat?

Also you can do a sizeable water change up to 50% - that might help. If you get a positive ammonia or nitrite reading, partial water changes will be necessaary to reduce it, and bottled bacteria might help. Sometimes the simplest stuff does the trick.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is just the thing that gets more people out of the hobby. Nothing like your first tank and having to deal with dead fish and disease.

Grumpy
You did the best you could. That's the thing about advise easy to give but hard to actually make them listen.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
This is just the thing that gets more people out of the hobby. Nothing like your first tank and having to deal with dead fish and disease.

Grumpy
You did the best you could. That's the thing about advise easy to give but hard to actually make them listen.
... I think you didn't read the OP carefully enough

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just a small venting thread.

Everyone has a different first experience. The most important thing is to develop a consistently stable environment for your fish. Along the way you might have tank crashes. Don't get discouraged that yours happened so early. Instead learn from it and that is one less way in the future that you have to worry about a tank crash.

For the record I lost fish through bad store stock, poor acclimation, no quarantine, over feeding, water temperature, water chemistry, over cleaning resulting in lack of enough beneficial bacteria, underfeeding, overstock, understocking a breed type, too many floating plants not allowing for breathing surface area, not enough surface water agitation, too much mid tank current agitation, putting rocks too close to the glass (trapped), too much Moss (trapped) and I think some died due to spite. Oh, then leaving a dead body somewhere I can't find resulting in an ammonia spike during decay.

Fun times. And then your pal with a foot long goldfish in a bucket keeps it alive for years. Go figure.

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I work 60-70 hours a week so I don't really have time to do 50% water changes every day. Basically my tank will seem fine, then a week later a fish will come down with dropsy and die within a few days. So I started to euthanize the fish with dropsy. But it always comes back. There is nothing to quarantine because I immediately euthanize the fish with dropsy at this point.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It may come as a slap in the face but it's not intended that way.
I am never sure that I have the correct disease when I try to treat my fish. Possible that you are dealing with something totally different that presents in much the same way but needs a totally different treatment?
What type and kind of fish may help get some more ideas of what is wrong. For instance there is also "bloat" that is famous for doing in African cichlids. It looks very much like dropsy but is often very different in the way we need to treat things.

Not meaning to disagree with what you've said about it being a bummer. Definite bummer and definitely something to make you want to chuck it. I tried being a fisherman for a while and that was even worse!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
My best advice is to quarantine everything you put in your tank. It's worth it to get a cheap 10G and a HOB filter just for this purpose.

A good quote I read on here about quarantines goes something like:
"Refusing to quarantine fish before putting then in your tank is like playing Russian roulette. Everyone loses, some just get play longer than others."

I never quarantined a single fish for years and then a few months ago I lost about 20 rummynose tetras due to an ich outbreak (no longer buy fish from petco). Just cycle a spare HOB on your tank for a few weeks prior to getting fish and observe them / treat illnesses in quarantine.

If your tank is totally diseased then look up how to disinfect. If no fish can survive and you do not want to tear the whole thing down then you need to find out if the disease will go away on its own or how to get rid of it. After you think it's safe then start to slowly stock the tank again.

Also add fish slowly. Don't just add a ton of fish at once to instantly stock your tank. Do it over time.

The hobby sucks because of these things but we all learn from the mistakes we have made and it makes us better at it in the end.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
GrumpyGills - I hear you man! It's frustrating!

I have the same problem. I quarantine or move sick fish into a hospital tank and they die anyway. I am not a fish doctor, my patients don't make it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko View Post
... I think you didn't read the OP carefully enough
Yes your right I had tried to pull it after reread your post. Sorry for the mix up.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats why i installed a UV filtre. It does wonders to annihilate anything waterborne.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
My best advice is to quarantine everything you put in your tank. It's worth it to get a cheap 10G and a HOB filter just for this purpose.

A good quote I read on here about quarantines goes something like:
"Refusing to quarantine fish before putting then in your tank is like playing Russian roulette. Everyone loses, some just get play longer than others."

I never quarantined a single fish for years and then a few months ago I lost about 20 rummynose tetras due to an ich outbreak (no longer buy fish from petco). Just cycle a spare HOB on your tank for a few weeks prior to getting fish and observe them / treat illnesses in quarantine.

If your tank is totally diseased then look up how to disinfect. If no fish can survive and you do not want to tear the whole thing down then you need to find out if the disease will go away on its own or how to get rid of it. After you think it's safe then start to slowly stock the tank again.

Also add fish slowly. Don't just add a ton of fish at once to instantly stock your tank. Do it over time.

The hobby sucks because of these things but we all learn from the mistakes we have made and it makes us better at it in the end.
I thought you purchased your rummy nose from doctors foster and smith?
Have you since lost more from petco?
Petco here can't keep em alive, cardinal tetra's either.
Oh wait,now I remember.
You placed some fish from petco in the tank with the rummy nose you got from DFS without quarantine?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode