How many of you actually quarantine? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
How many of you actually quarantine?

I'm curious as to how many of you quarantine all new fish purchases before going into you're main tank. I personally in the past have not but with a new tank being setup Tuesday I wanna hear some input.
I know with saltwater most people almost always quarantine but I get a sense that with freshwater it isn't as common? Mabye I'm wrong but let's hear whether if you or not and if you do what is you're normal routine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't quarantine. I can also tell you that I did saltwater for about ten years and quarantining was not common.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
raises hand...

and it has stopped Ich, and internal parasites.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Algae Grower

Yep. Better to do a little extra work at first than have major problems later on!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Planted Member

I don't. Get all my fish and gear from the same place, who I trust implicitly. Never been a problem (knock on wood).]
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just takes that one time and then all suffer
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquik View Post
Just takes that one time and then all suffer
+1 Lots of money and pets to loose because of one bad fish.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
My tanks are generally lightly stocked, so I usually just take my chances and drop them in as soon as I've acclimated them.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nope, never have in 50 years of fish keeping and never had a problem.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I usually don't because I look at the tank and the fish very well from the LFS before I get them bagged. I don't get fish from a tank that has sick or dead fish.

I will do that if the tank the fishes are going is pretty much an established tank like that one I have in my 12 G. But for a fairly new tank or a lightly stocked tank, I will take the risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

After having an entire tank wiped out from disease (this almost made me leave the hobby) I now quarantine all fish before there added to the main display
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Have a batch of fish in quarantine right now but if the vendor has been able to assure me that the fish had been there and just fine for weeks I will put fish right in the tank.

So far no disease has been a problem either way though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Depends for me. I rarely go out to buy fish but more often trade or acquire from places other than shops. I recently got a bunch of fry from fellow forum members where I went over and saw their breeding and other tanks. In that situation, I did no QT as it was pretty clear that the fry were very happy and healthy. I brought plants home from a stream and they are still in what might be called QT. Possibly more a question of whether they will live or not? But meanwhile the main tanks are safe and undisrupted if it goes wrong. If I went to any store and bought fish, I would QT them. Most stores do some sort of buyback from local folks and they do keep all the fish in the common water. That leaves even the best store prone to having something come in from the local trade which can be passed on to me.
QT is not a full time setup and running tank but a tank to pull out and start when needed for a month or so. It does require more watching and water changing to cover for no bacteria but that is just part of QT. I WANT to watch them carefully.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Always do. A week or two of quarantine can always help. Whether it's waiting out disease or conditioning the fish to your water at home, two weeks is nothing in comparison for how long the fish should live under proper care.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

ROAK Club Member #141
|~|
|~|
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
+1 on depends on the source of the stock, where they're going among my tanks and what's in the tank they'll be added to.

Of course, after doing a 2-3 week quarantine on the last five chain store purchases building up the numbers of several schools of common fish and having zero problems crop up, I skipped QT on the last two neon tetra and just tossed 'em in my 20g set up. Yep. A week later: ICH. Major major ich.

Now I've got 20g worth of fish bickering and b*tching in a 5g treatment tank for the next 2-3 weeks, a pathetically empty show tank, and the joy of carefully monitoring the 20g once the fish are put back for cycle problems or recurrence.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode