getting a feel of your layout - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
getting a feel of your layout

So i was just wondering if it is ok for me to put my driftwood and ada aqua soil in the tank but not add water to it until the plants come? I just want to do this so i can get a feel for the layout and figure out in more detail what plants and how many i will need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sure is! Even easier:
Lay out a towel, or tape on the table or any similar concept so you have the footprint of the tank without the sides. Then you can reach 'into' the 'tank' to move things around.
Use any sort of object to prop up the wood and rocks so they stay where you want them.

Then take a few pictures, and try another lay out.

Post the pictures here of the ones you think have the right feel, and you will get input on ways to move things around.

Once you get the design ideas narrowed down you can set up the tank and work it dry. Not so many ways to change things around makes it easier. Especially if you are using heavy rock. I am always afraid of dropping them, and cracking the bottom of the tank. I like to rough out the ideas without that danger.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find some depends on what fish you may be dealing. I don't do much on the artistic end of what might look better to me as I find my fish are more important as rulers of the tank. My best laid plans mean nothing if I add the fish and all hell breaks loose do to poor décor planning. If add plants and décor and they dig it up, I change it to suit them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Sure is! Even easier:
Lay out a towel, or tape on the table or any similar concept so you have the footprint of the tank without the sides. Then you can reach 'into' the 'tank' to move things around.
Use any sort of object to prop up the wood and rocks so they stay where you want them.

Then take a few pictures, and try another lay out.

Post the pictures here of the ones you think have the right feel, and you will get input on ways to move things around.

Once you get the design ideas narrowed down you can set up the tank and work it dry. Not so many ways to change things around makes it easier. Especially if you are using heavy rock. I am always afraid of dropping them, and cracking the bottom of the tank. I like to rough out the ideas without that danger.
Cool so it should be ok for me to keep the substrate in thestank with no waterfor let's say a week or so? I only have one peace of hardscape and it is a massive peace of red cedar stump with 3 awsome roots coming of the base. If yu look at someof my pics I put on some of my threads u will see how big it is. It covers most of my 50gallon tank ad right now I am building a new diy 65gallon to make it look better and hay biggers better haha. Thanks ill def post sme pics of different set ups when I finishe the new tank

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

My tank journal =).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Forgot to add that this driftwood is 45years old so ots fish safe now

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

My tank journal =).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There is no problem at all in leaving dry substrate in the tank for as long as you need to.

If you want to start the plants using what is called the 'dry start' method, then you would wet the substrate, plant, but not fill the tank.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
There is no problem at all in leaving dry substrate in the tank for as long as you need to.

If you want to start the plants using what is called the 'dry start' method, then you would wet the substrate, plant, but not fill the tank.
yea that is the method i will be doing=) seems a lot easier to getting things where you want them and also not getting my hand wet for 25min or so while im planting=) Thanks alot for letting me know it will be ok! I have been wanting to do this but i did not know if it would be bad to do or what not so thanks again everyone=)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Even if you will be filling the tank right away, you should still plant when there is just a little water in the tank, misting the plants as needed. Then fill. Put a plate or plastic bag over the plants and substrate and trickle the water in so it seeps slowly into the substrate.
This minimizes clouding.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Even if you will be filling the tank right away, you should still plant when there is just a little water in the tank, misting the plants as needed. Then fill. Put a plate or plastic bag over the plants and substrate and trickle the water in so it seeps slowly into the substrate.
This minimizes clouding.
Good to know. I was going to just do the plate way but i think doing the plastic rap way will be a little easier in the long run with the cloudy water. Since i am using the Ada soil and its new i will also not have to add any ammonia since the ada soil is known for having it for about 2 to 3weeks xD makes life a little easier haha. Do u just use a little squirt bottle to mist or do u use a pesticides mister? from like lowes or home depot

Bump:
Quote:
This minimizes clouding.
Good to know. I was going to just do the plate way but i think doing the plastic rap way will be a little easier in the long run with the cloudy water. Since i am using the Ada soil and its new i will also not have to add any ammonia since the ada soil is known for having it for about 2 to 3weeks xD makes life a little easier haha. Do u just use a little squirt bottle to mist or do u use a pesticides mister? from like lowes or home depot
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Smaller mist bottle used for house plants is easy to manipulate inside the tank.
But a tank sprayer that has never been used for garden chemicals works well, too.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

alright thanks Diana

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode