Pots in tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Pots in tank?

I will be getting some star grass, and I really would like it to grow out of the tank so I can get the little purple flowers. My tank is 20in high, so thus I would need to raise them up a bit cuz they only get about 20in high. So my question is can I plant them in pots (just the regular, orange, clay, pots) would that affect the hardness or anything else? If not, what could I use for the soil? Organic potting soil? Peat moss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
The orange pots are clay. They don't affect the water. I use regular big box store top soil in my setups.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a variety of clear plastic bottles that I cut to fit. I find the clay pots to be really crude looking as well as impossible to cut to fit. Any size soda bottle is up for modification as well as milk jugs. I often want to squeeze a pot of something in alongside a rock that may have an awkward end sticking out so the flexible plastic is good to slip around things.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Ive seen pple use clay pots and again its fired clay so it shouldn't affect the tank so I don't see why not. Also plastic Tupperware can work if your cheap like me lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I use a variety of clear plastic bottles that I cut to fit. I find the clay pots to be really crude looking as well as impossible to cut to fit. Any size soda bottle is up for modification as well as milk jugs. I often want to squeeze a pot of something in alongside a rock that may have an awkward end sticking out so the flexible plastic is good to slip around things.
That's a good idea I have been looking to do a couple swords. Was going to buy pots but like this so much better.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some other sources may be overlooked as well. All the little gizmos we buy are often sealed in those ---- things so we really can't look at them in the store? Those are sometimes just the right shape and size to cut down for trays if you want them longer or something besides round. I hate to go out to buy something while I'm throwing what works in the trash or recycle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode