Achievement unlocked : setup a quarantine tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Achievement unlocked : setup a quarantine tank

I feel like I just leveled up in the hobby! Now every new fish will stay in the quarantine tank for 2 weeks.

Should shrimps and snails be quarantined too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would.
Maybe the shrimp and snails and plants cannot carry fish diseases, but the water they are in may be on a common filter with some other tanks in the store, and could introduce diseases or parasites from those other tanks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm on a three week cycle. But most of the problems show up in the first week.

It sucks buying new fish and having to wait to put them your tank but having your whole tank wiped out is worst.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
It sucks buying new fish and having to wait to put them your tank but having your whole tank wiped out is worst.
I just lost 22 neon tetras to Ich. I bought 12 from my LFS, 11 died, got 11 replacements, they all died. Now I only have one left. Luckily they were the first fish to go into the tank so there were no other casualties. I am going to wait a month before trying to add new fish.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Algae Grower

You're generally going to have to make decisions on QT based on the fish and your LFS. If you buy from a store that has all their fish individually separated, and have no signs of ich/stress personally I would keep that fish unstressed and drip him into your mature system.. If you have a fish like the Oto Catfish, these fish die a lot in transportation and need actual algae to feed.. This may be a canadict of no QT unless you supplement algae from your DT.

If you're unsure of the LFS put everything into QT and Drip it with Paraguard or a similar product. I also bleach certain plants to remove unwanted bacterials.

Don't let a $5 fish kill your whole tank, but don't kill a $50 fish die in QT because its stressed with no room to swim or establish itself. Ich can be treated pretty easily. Its a matter of keeping the fish fed and not stressed. Fish that are not stressed don't get sick.

Do you plan on keeping some filter media in your DT filter always seeded? I'd recommend having at least some seeded filter floss to be able to throw in for each new fish. SOME mechanical and all that existing biological will be good.

Most problems with a fish in cycle actually will occur closer to the end of the cycle. This is because Ammonia and Nitrite have both been toxic for longer period of time and both are still present because the significant water change (as required of all beginner tanks 80%) has not been done yet.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
I just lost 22 neon tetras to Ich. I bought 12 from my LFS, 11 died, got 11 replacements, they all died. Now I only have one left. Luckily they were the first fish to go into the tank so there were no other casualties. I am going to wait a month before trying to add new fish.
You gotta be careful when you buy so many fish at once. Your filter does not have enough of a bacteria colony to support all those fish poo'ing. If you add new fish, feed less so the poo level stays the same.. If you don't you'll cycle the tank

Neons also need time to acclimate to temperatures. They like 74 and under naturally. So make sure your tank is near the tank temp as LFS because they are more adjusted to those ranges, for now..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I feel like I just leveled up in the hobby! Now every new fish will stay in the quarantine tank for 2 weeks.

Nice, I really need to do something like this. I play with fire every time i introduce a new inhabitant.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

So you get new fish and the first thing you do is scare the hell out of them with a giant skull?!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

James has brought up some good points. I agree that it not worth the loss of an expensive fish to stress them by putting in q/t and I have look at my investment in time and money and have dropped fish that I brought home right in to there home with out much concern. They were always high dollar fish and my investment with the other fish was minimum. But as your investment goes up a q/t is very important.

As far as were you buy the fish and I use many different shops to do that. Some have there own q/t and some do nothing. I'm just a guessing what there doing. Some here have tanks with R/O water in them others are all hard water.

For me on keeping bio filter going is easy I usually keep cory's in the tank at all times. If I would go more than week without fish I pull there sponge out and put it in my sump until I need it again.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Another use for the Q-tank is to make the water match the parameters of the store's water. The fish can get out of the bag right away and into water that matches where they are acclimated.

Then, gradually, over the month they are in quarantine, change the water to match your main tank.
Like Clear Water, the LFSs I use have all sorts of different water, so having a tank where I can control the water parameters to match is very helpful.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The filter is an aquaclear 30, I had it running on the main tank for 2 weeks before. And when the QT is not in use it will go back on the main tank so it is always ready to use.

I don't see why placing the fish in quarantine would cause more stress. I will only get a small amount of new fish at t time. I will add more rocks if I get fish that like to hide, like kuhli loaches. Water quality should not be a problem.

My LFS quarantines their fish, they always seem healthy and the tanks are not too full. Still, it has happened that I got some that were sick even though it didnt show in the store, this is what prompted me to setup a QT. Ich is not what scares me most, but it is best if I can avoid it. But once I got a dwarf gourami that had a bacteria which killed almost everything, so I decided that would never happen again.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Putting fish in a Q/T tank does NOT stress out the fish the Q/T tank should have a few hiding spots and be cycled it's a good practice to get into by no means am I bringing a fish home and dropping it in one of my main tanks with hundreds of dollars of fully grown healthy fish to take a chance of getting them all sick who ever don't use a Q/T is really playing with fire

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode