Large container for holding fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Large container for holding fish

I need something to hold my fish in my 75 while I do a rescape, maybe also house the fish for like a week so that I can let the substrate settle down before throwing the fish back in.

It has to be a relatively large container, I'm thinking at least 3 foot by 1 foot, and obviously needs to hold water. What would I use?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I personally would use several plastic buckets (and lids!) with a few fish in each instead of one large container.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find round rather than rectangle holds water better as the flat sides tend to bow out. Depending on what type/size, I might look at tall trash cans. One single container does have the advantage of staying more temperature stable but then how the fish will act in confined space is also important. There are times when they need to be separated.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Storage boxes are usually waterproof, but square/rectangle ones will bow out.
The round storage bins with rope handles work well (don't bow out) but no lid. (Make something up). Smaller containers (like 5 gallon buckets) are fine if it were just a 20 gallon tank, but a 75 holds a lot more water, so you would have quite a few buckets to keep warm. I would look into larger containers.

In any of these solutions you will have the problem of ammonia removal.
If you share the filter among all the containers, share plants (with light!) on all of them, and share the top layer of substrate where the most bacteria live you will be sharing the bio media (bacteria and plants) the best you can. Run the filter on the largest for water circulation, and use other things (air bubbler, power head, smaller filters... whatever you have) to keep the water moving in the other containers.

Largest single container that will hold water:
Stock watering trough. You could fit all the fish in there, run the filter, store the plants, and use the cover from the tank (presumably a glass lid) and light. Might have to rig up some cross pieces to support the glass lid(s).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'd rather have everything in one place because of the filters and such.

Also because I have bichirs and other kinda larger fish, I'd rather not do the trash bin because of floor space (but I may if it's safer).

Where would you get a stock watering trough?

Mom's Spec V:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

'Stock' as in 'livestock'- cattle, horses...

Away from the big cities these can be found in stores that sell feed for large animals. Look up 'feed' or 'feed stores' most likely. Tractor Supply is one such store that is nation wide.

In a big city I would go to wherever there are horses, riding facilities or similar, and ask.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm in Long Island so I may be able to find something near the racetrack (shrug)0

Mom's Spec V:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Would you be lucky enough to have a spare bathroom with tub? Line it with plastic to avoid the soap build-up? Shower with a friend while your bath is tied up?
this might have all kinds of possibilities!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lowes or HD storage bins 10-20 bucks. Also good to keep for emergencies.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plastic kiddie pool should be dirt cheap this time of year
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It needs to be covered since my fish are jumpers, so no pool or tub

Mom's Spec V:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:27 AM
zrb
Algae Grower

Large container for holding fish

Get a large trash can from the hardware store.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrb View Post
Get a large trash can from the hardware store.
+1 I have used them for years. If it new, wash it out and put water in it. If it used line it with plastic sheeting.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
I need something to hold my fish in my 75 while I do a rescape, maybe also house the fish for like a week so that I can let the substrate settle down before throwing the fish back in.

It has to be a relatively large container, I'm thinking at least 3 foot by 1 foot, and obviously needs to hold water. What would I use?
33 gal Rubbermaid trash can (clean).
Plop in a seasoned sponge filter and heater,and fishes will be fine.
Could use filter from the tank already mature.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
I'm in Long Island so I may be able to find something near the racetrack (shrug)0

Where on Long Island are you? Trade Fair hardware on sunrise highway in the copaigue/lindenhurst area has a lot of interesting containers. I've purchased the bottom 2 inches of what looks like it might have been a round plastic 55 gal from them to use a drip pan when working on cars. they seem to just have a lot of garbage cans and random containers so it could be worth a shot. (Keep in mind this place is run by a jewish family so they are closed on saturdays and also close early on friday if I recall correctly.) The pets warehouse in copaigue is also basically just across the street and I'm a fan of that shop!

I'm also sure there are some places on the island that sell those rubbermaid stock tanks; but I think they can be quite pricey. It might be easier/cheaper to get another aquarium tank to use as a temp holding tank. Not sure if the $1/gallon sale is happening right now; but you can always find a cheapie tank on craigslist.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode