Planaria ... Problem? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planaria ... Problem?

I've been in the habit of turning my aquarium light on for a few minutes at night (to see my RCS as that is the only time they aren't hiding under a piece of driftwood) and I've started noticing a few small Planaria sliding around on the glass. I'm not sure if they have always been in my tank and I'm just noticing them now, or if this is a recent development. I usually only see between 3 and 6 it a time, and they are really pretty small, like ~1mm long. The smallest ones are white, and the larger ones have more of a greyish pink color.

Should I be trying to exterminate them? Is this a sign of poor tank health? Can they hurt my fish, shrimp or plants?

If they are bad, can anyone recommend a product or maintenance strategy to get rid of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Planaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasper View Post
I've been in the habit of turning my aquarium light on for a few minutes at night (to see my RCS as that is the only time they aren't hiding under a piece of driftwood) and I've started noticing a few small Planaria sliding around on the glass. I'm not sure if they have always been in my tank and I'm just noticing them now, or if this is a recent development. I usually only see between 3 and 6 it a time, and they are really pretty small, like ~1mm long. The smallest ones are white, and the larger ones have more of a greyish pink color.

Should I be trying to exterminate them? Is this a sign of poor tank health? Can they hurt my fish, shrimp or plants?

If they are bad, can anyone recommend a product or maintenance strategy to get rid of them?
Hello m...

These small worms don't harm the tank or the inhabitants. Fish generally eat them. If you're keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish wastes through frequent water changes, then you have nothing to worry about.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There pretty harmless usually the fish will take care of them no need to worry

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Some say they attack shrimp but that's pretty rare, if u have a healthy population of shrimp u have nothing to worry about. Also make sure what u have is planaria as there are other nematodes that are often confused as planaria but are harmless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just discovered planaria in my betta tank too. I know they're harmless, but I still don't want them in there lol I occasionally see my betta pick them off though, so I guess it's kinda cool.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:34 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can build a planarian trap, a box with holes only they can enter with fish food inside. Remove when there are lots inside and repeat, like a snail trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello m...

These small worms don't harm the tank or the inhabitants. Fish generally eat them. If you're keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish wastes through frequent water changes, then you have nothing to worry about.

B
Are you sure they are planeria, and not detritus worms? Google images is your friend.

My Toys; 100 gal. Clown Loach tank, 40 breeder community tank, 7.5 gal Emerald Rasboras, & Dwarf Cories, 17 Gal. Aquascaped Rimless Cube, Pygmy Cories, Embers, Dwarf Cories, Amano Shrimp, 3 plant/shrimp tanks, 300 gallon formal water lily pond, 150 gal. pond.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode