Carpet plants forming a thick thatch and not attaching to substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Carpet plants forming a thick thatch and not attaching to substrate

Hey everyone!

So I've had this tank running for about 1.5 years now and have a fairly nice carpet of dwarf hairgrass (eleocharis parvula).

I've noticed that eventually the roots of the hairgrass start growing into the body of the hairgrass itself. This leads to large patches of the hairgrass that are not attached to the substrate.

When I trim the grass, this destroys any sections that were not attached to the substrate by basically detaching it from the rest of the hairgrass and letting it float away and it generally just looks like crap.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any way to prevent this from happening? If I trim more frequently, will it solve this issue?

Also, the eleocharis parvula seems to grow much lower and more compact than its cousin eleocharis acicularis. I'm wondering if maintaining a carpet of the acicularis would be easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:39 AM
Planted Member

This happened to me with my HC. I had a great lush carpet of it, then the whole thing just detached gradually and I had to rip it out. I restarted with glosso.

I think it happens eventually, but some plants do it more easily than others. I am hoping my glosso will last longer than the HC, for example.

FWIW, my LFS guy suggested I vacuum up the top inch or two of substrate, then lay down another inch of new substrate, before replanting the glosso. That's what I did, and it wasn't actually as difficult as it sounded. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but he said that, with Aquasoil at least, it tends to give up its nutrients over time, and the second carpet will never grow as well as the first.

Bump: And, obviously, close trimming should help delay if not prevent the phenomenon.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does anyone else have advice or experience with this?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had some mini clover that came as a patch. It did not attach to the substrate, sand. I found out that you're supposed to break it up into small individual plants. For your plants, it would be small tufts of it. I have also seen yours in some videos in tufts spaced out, and also planted in very small rectangles singly. I hope that helps.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

The carpets need more constant pruning before the layers get too thick; occasionally every few months the carpets should be deep pruned and cut to the bone/substrate and allowed to regrow. A couple of weeks the carpet will look less presentable, but this gives it longevity as the new layers can anchor properly to the substrate.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
The carpets need more constant pruning before the layers get too thick; occasionally every few months the carpets should be deep pruned and cut to the bone/substrate and allowed to regrow. A couple of weeks the carpet will look less presentable, but this gives it longevity as the new layers can anchor properly to the substrate.

Yeah, I'll have to start doing this. Does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap pair of curved or wave scissors? I'm not paying the absurd $150 price tag that some places ask for a pair of scissors.

Also, I took plenty of pics of this problem but I can not get them to upload and not be upside down. I've deleted all of the exif data from the pictures, and saved them both right side up and upside down on my computer but the planted tank uploader always puts them upside down regardless.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode