How to plant stem plants... help?? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
djb7880's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 69
How to plant stem plants... help??

So I started my new planted tank a few weeks ago and it's my first planted tank, and uggghhh.... I apparently suck at planting stemmed plants. Particularly Ludwigia Ovalis. That plant will not root and it seems like I come home to two or three stems floating and needing to be replanted every night.


I think it's the most stressful thing ever when I am trying to replant it and then boom, another stem pops up and floats away... like whhhyyyyyyy?! I think eco complete is maybe too light and doesn't weigh it down much, but is there anything recommended to help get these things to stay down and root?
djb7880 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb7880 View Post
So I started my new planted tank a few weeks ago and it's my first planted tank, and uggghhh.... I apparently suck at planting stemmed plants. Particularly Ludwigia Ovalis. That plant will not root and it seems like I come home to two or three stems floating and needing to be replanted every night.


I think it's the most stressful thing ever when I am trying to replant it and then boom, another stem pops up and floats away... like whhhyyyyyyy?! I think eco complete is maybe too light and doesn't weigh it down much, but is there anything recommended to help get these things to stay down and root?
I tie mine to a small rock with cotton thread, then by the time the thread dissolves, the plant is rooted, and I remove the rock. Flat rocks work well.

My Toys; 100 gal. Clown Loach tank, 40 breeder community tank, 7.5 gal Emerald Rasboras, & Dwarf Cories, 17 Gal. Aquascaped Rimless Cube, Pygmy Cories, Embers, Dwarf Cories, Amano Shrimp, 3 plant/shrimp tanks, 300 gallon formal water lily pond, 150 gal. pond.
LynneS22 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Raith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey
Posts: 1,538
That's the problem with EC, it is porous, if you have enough depth, you can plant it deeper into the substrate.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
Raith is online now  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 124
Make sure your substrate is deep enough, use tweezers, and pull the stem by the bottom of the stem at an angle into the substrate. That still isn't a guaranteed way to have stems stay, but it helps. Also, if you have fish in the tank, make sure they're not the ones uprooting your stems. I have some angels that are horrible at making my stems float.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
smhism is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 898
You can buy the black screen mesh for windows and cut a small square or triangle piece, cut a slit in the center then stick your plant in the slit then plant it. I use this to get plants anchored. Once they start rooting you can pull or cut the piece out or just keep it there with the plant.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PortalMasteryRy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merriam, Ks
Posts: 1,949
I trim mine to the first node with leafs, cut right below the node and keep the leaves. Plant it and the leafs will help hold it in. Leaves die in the substrate and feed the roots. I like the leaf litter look in my tanks. Sometimes they will work their way back up after the plant has rooted. Win win either way for me.

Using 2 bamboo skewers as tweezers gets me better results.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Italionstallion888 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:04 AM
Algae Grower
 
RajahTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb7880 View Post
So I started my new planted tank a few weeks ago and it's my first planted tank, and uggghhh.... I apparently suck at planting stemmed plants. Particularly Ludwigia Ovalis. That plant will not root and it seems like I come home to two or three stems floating and needing to be replanted every night.

For stem plants, you need to leave enough leaves at the bottom end of the stem where you can use tweezers to insert the stem into the substrate along with those leaves to hold the stem in the substrate.

Blending Art and Science

Eheim Pimp #561 - Eheim 2213, Eheim 2215, Eheim 2217, 2 X Eheim Ebo Jager 50W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RajahTank is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
djb7880's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
You can buy the black screen mesh for windows and cut a small square or triangle piece, cut a slit in the center then stick your plant in the slit then plant it. I use this to get plants anchored. Once they start rooting you can pull or cut the piece out or just keep it there with the plant.
Oh, good idea! I think I will give this a shot if I can get my hands on some screens... Thank you!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
I trim mine to the first node with leafs, cut right below the node and keep the leaves. Plant it and the leafs will help hold it in. Leaves die in the substrate and feed the roots. I like the leaf litter look in my tanks. Sometimes they will work their way back up after the plant has rooted. Win win either way for me.

Using 2 bamboo skewers as tweezers gets me better results.
Ah hah OK, that's the next thing to try now until I find mesh... thanks a lot!
djb7880 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Django's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 1,090
Just wanted to echo what someone said above in connection with using tweezers (or you could buy a pair of planting tweezers) that I've seen it said before that it may help to plant on a slant - like diagonally. I know that more of the stem gets into the substrate and that may help keep it down.
Django is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome