Tetra Safe Start - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Tetra Safe Start

I read where if you use dechlorinator such as prime or the like it harm or hinder them in some way.

So my problem is that it looks like my tank is recycling from a move I made recently due to my tank cracking apart in the middle of the night.

Anyway the ammonia is off the chart. I have tested the possibility that my test kit is off but it looks like its still very effective.

I did 3x 75% water changes, tested and had the water test 1-2ppm. Waited 24 hours after the last one and used one of those small tetra safe bottles.

It did nothing at all in fact the ammonia just spiked back up within testing 48hrs after.

So now I am thinking of trying again but just want to know is a normal amount of dechlor to offset the chlorine in the tap in order to do more water changes going to hinder the tetra safe start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
did you stir up the substrate during the move? i would imagine this could be the reason for high ammonia.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't use it according to the directions.
But when I use it I always de-clor the water first because the Chlorine would harm any bacteria in there.
I turn off my filter and pour half the bottle in it. I have no idea how long the shelf life on this is so why bother keeping any of it.
After an hr I turn the filter back on. The next day I do the same/w the other half. But the last time I used it the ammonia was going down two hrs after I used the first half of it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
did you stir up the substrate during the move? i would imagine this could be the reason for high ammonia.
Actually I replaced it with some aquasoil it did have eco complete. For the very reason you mention.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
But when I use it I always de-clor the water first because the Chlorine would harm any bacteria in there.
I turn off my filter and pour half the bottle in it. I have no idea how long the shelf life on this is so why bother keeping any of it.
After an hr I turn the filter back on. The next day I do the same/w the other half. But the last time I used it the ammonia was going down two hrs after I used the first half of it.
Hmm okay thanks for tips!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Aqua soil leeches ammonia, that's your ammonia source. I suggest keep doing water changes, add safe start and use seachem prime to lock up the ammonia. When you add the Prime, your test kit will still pick up the ammonia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by greaser84; 11-19-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Aquasoil will release ammonia. Plus you have removed a lot of bb by removing the old substrate. Now you are going to have to be doing wcs like crazy.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Aquasoil will release ammonia. Plus you have removed a lot of bb by removing the old substrate. Now you are going to have to be doing wcs like crazy.
okay.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Aqua soil leeches ammonia, that's your ammonia source. I suggest keep doing water changes, add safe start and use seachem prime to lock up the ammonia. When you add the Prime, your test kit will still pick up the ammonia.
okay for how long will aqua soil leach ammonia? Thanks!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Safe Start is affected by Prime, you need to wait 24 hours between adding Prime and Safe Start.
Read the FAQ in the link and it explains the do's and don'ts.
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...safestart.html

Seachem stability might help you get the level down along with the water changes.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Aqua soil leaches ammonia for about 3-4 weeks.

I also would add plenty of any bottled bacteria that includes Nitrospira in the ingredients.
Tetra Safe Start, Dr. Tim's One and Only or others.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Aqua soil leaches ammonia for about 3-4 weeks.

I also would add plenty of any bottled bacteria that includes Nitrospira in the ingredients.
Tetra Safe Start, Dr. Tim's One and Only or others.
Thanks for suggestions! So far I have used up 2x small bottle of tetra safe start (although one bottle incorrectly used. Did not know I had to wait 24hrs if I used any dechlor, this case prime and the normal amount to make water change water safe). Half bottle of stability. Now have new bottle. Just did another water change and added another half a bottle.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynruff View Post
Safe Start is affected by Prime, you need to wait 24 hours between adding Prime and Safe Start.
Read the FAQ in the link and it explains the do's and don'ts.
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...safestart.html

Seachem stability might help you get the level down along with the water changes.
Interesting read. I'm confused because Prime will only lock up ammonia for up to 48 hours, which means the bacteria will not feed for that time, but we use prime in our tanks all the time and the bacteria doesn't die out in a cycled tank... For some reason safe start bacteria will die out if exposed to prime within the first 24 hours and up too 7 days after. At least that's what I got from the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Well I performed another 75% water change and amm tested in 1ppm or slightly above range.

I did as you and turned off the filter for an hour and poured half my bottle of stability directly on the filter media. Amm is reading zero hours after application. Heres to hoping it continues to hold!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is how I have used it:
Big water change (including Prime for the new water), then add the Tetra Safe Start.
The next day there was just a hint of ammonia, and the day after it was zero. Never saw any NO2.
IME, I do not think the product is hurt by dechlor, but I am not the manufacturer.

Dr Tim's One and Only does not seem to say that, but I am late for work, have not read everything at the site.
https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One...eria_c_97.html
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

After a couple(2) of days you will need to start testing for nitrates.
If the SS works like it should, it will start converting that ammonia to nitrate eventually. And with lots of ammonia coming from the sub, it will have lots of nitrates before long.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
That is how I have used it:
Big water change (including Prime for the new water), then add the Tetra Safe Start.
The next day there was just a hint of ammonia, and the day after it was zero. Never saw any NO2.
IME, I do not think the product is hurt by dechlor, but I am not the manufacturer.

Dr Tim's One and Only does not seem to say that, but I am late for work, have not read everything at the site.
https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One...eria_c_97.html
Thank-you!

Bump:
Quote:
After a couple(2) of days you will need to start testing for nitrates.
If the SS works like it should, it will start converting that ammonia to nitrate eventually. And with lots of ammonia coming from the sub, it will have lots of nitrates before long.
Thanks! Well this morning the Amm is back in the 2ppm range. I guess I spoke to soon. :/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode