First High Tech Planted Tank Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First High Tech Planted Tank Setup

Greetings All!

I have been in the aquarium hobby for many years. I have pretty much always had a 3 gal Betta tank, and have also done community tanks with various platties, guppies, cories, gouramis, etc... I also had an Oscar for a long time.

My current Betta tank is a low-tech planted tank that is doing very very well. It features Java Fern and Anubias nana. I have enjoyed the planting aspect very much, and would like to further that aspect of my hobby.

I am looking at putting together a 75 gal high tech planted tank. The list of fish I was looking to include in the tank were:

2x Pearl Gourami
3x Angels
6x Cardinal Tetra
6x False Julii Cory Cat
1x Trinidad Pleco

I was hoping to get as much feedback as possible as to the optimal:
Filtration
Lighting
Co2
Plants
Substrate (I have always put cories in sand... how well does this work for plants?)
Etc...

Also, if the list of fish I have doesn't make sense for one reason or another, I would appreciate feedback on that as well.

Basically, I am looking to have all my ducks in a row before I begin to set this thing up.

I would appreciate any help/insight I can get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Planted Member

I don't know whether or not the Pearl Gouramis and Angelfish will mix well, but those Cardinals may very well end up as Angelfish snacks. You may want to try a larger tetra, something like a Red-Eye or similarly heavy-bodied tetra.

As far as substrate for Corys goes, I try to have a large area of sand that is devoid of plants for the Corys, then use smooth-edged, round pea gravel for planting areas (as a cap). I put whatever (Aquasoil, etc.) under the cap as a nutritive substrate.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would emmerse myself in CO2 injection or supplement's in the planted aquarium.
Read all I could about CO2 injection,CO2 diffusion/distribution,Fertilizer routine's for CO2 injected tanks.
Old school lighting would in my view be 48 inch long dual T5 fixture but more folks are expierimenting with LED fixtures it seem's now day's.
Flitration would in my view be a couple canister filters each rated for around 350GPH (ensure good flow distribution of gas/nutrient's).
Substrate for me ,,would be dirt capped with sand . Miracle grow organic choice or plain topsoil with no additives for the dirt.
Should be able to grow about anything with above mentioned CO2 injection/lighting,plus good consistent fertilizing routine (See Estimative index for planted aquariums).
Hope some of this helps.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I was figuring that if I put the Angels in last, and got them small to start, that they wouldn't eat the Cardinals, as they would grow up with them being full sized already.

But, I don't really want to have to deal with it if they DO eat them Cardinals anyway... so...

What if I go with Gold/Blue Gouramis instead of Angels? How would that look as far as the fish grouping? Does the amount of fish seem to be good?

I was figuring on doing canister filtration as well. Any particular brand of canister filter work better/worse than the others? And why? I have always used Eclipse BioWheel filters, so I have no experience with canisters.

I am thinking that I want to use an inline CO2 reactor with the canister filters... does any particular double canister filter setup work better/worse than any others?

I was wanting to carpet the floor with Dwarf Hairgrass... do I need to provide a spot without the hairgrass for the Cories?

What about day and night lighting? Has anyone experimented/had success with that?

Last edited by iemsparticus; 11-19-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Additional info provided
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Corydoras love hairgrass! My first journal has a photo of them getting frisky in the stuff then the females would deposit the eggs in the thicket. Corydoras don't need sand, I have never had sand in my planted tanks and have always had Corydoras.

If the schooling fish is deeper bodied then angelfish will be less likely to make a snack of them. Bleeding heart, pristella, diamond, emperor, the phantoms type body will work out and there are lots more. Some tetras school, some shoal and some set up territories to defend so read up on the ones on your short list!

I would want a big school of tetras and Corydoras then figure out how much tank is left for your centerpiece fish. Get at least 20 tetras and at least 6 Corydoras. Tetras can look boring in small groups and really interesting in large ones, same with the Corydoras. I have a bristlenose, otos, snails and amano shrimp as 'clean up' crew and they actually are more interesting critters than the showier fish.

Go through the AGA contestant pages to find out what interests you most taking note of the size of the tank and equipment used as well as the plants, lighting, substrate and all that. AGA has most of the photos online since 2000 so you will have a lot to look at! http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/index.html

Contestants are starting to use LED and I would only consider the type that have timers and can dim so you can have sunrise, sunset and moonlighting.

Get a strong hardscape planned even if you prefer the dutch type layouts so your tank won't look desolate even if you just trimmed or plants are going through hard times.

Strong water flow is important. When I started out in the hobby 3xGPH was considered enough and now 10x is mentioned as a good amount of water movement. Usually canister users add a powerhead of some sort to augment the flow of water. I do like the idea of 2 canisters better though.

READ! This forum has a wealth of information on CO2, lighting, filtration and everything else you want to learn about. I started my first planted tank before the internet and the only semi current stuff I could find were short articles in FAMA. When a poster seems to have good info, look for their journal[s] and see how their tanks look and are equipped for more info on how to do things and what you might want to invest in. That is a shortcut to finding some nice tanks, going through the journal section when some journals are only posted in a couple times a year gets old fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

There are so many types of canister filters out there, and many would do just fine. Eheim filters are popular, though I've read that the Pro 2 and Pro 3 models tend to leak. I know this was the case with my Pro 2. Though I hear good things about the Eheim Classic series.

Fluval makes a variety of canister filters as well. I have a Fluval G6 right now and I love it.

In the end, do a lot of research, decide what sort of requirements you have, and read up on reviews. Then decide what sort of filter to get. There are so many good ones it would be hard to recommend just one.

David

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iemsparticus View Post
I was figuring that if I put the Angels in last, and got them small to start, that they wouldn't eat the Cardinals, as they would grow up with them being full sized already.

But, I don't really want to have to deal with it if they DO eat them Cardinals anyway... so...

What if I go with Gold/Blue Gouramis instead of Angels? How would that look as far as the fish grouping? Does the amount of fish seem to be good?

I was figuring on doing canister filtration as well. Any particular brand of canister filter work better/worse than the others? And why? I have always used Eclipse BioWheel filters, so I have no experience with canisters.

I am thinking that I want to use an inline CO2 reactor with the canister filters... does any particular double canister filter setup work better/worse than any others?

I was wanting to carpet the floor with Dwarf Hairgrass... do I need to provide a spot without the hairgrass for the Cories?

What about day and night lighting? Has anyone experimented/had success with that?
I myself would stay away from angels, not a fan. They enjoy eating little shimp and my 75 has lots.

This is what I have in my 75.

First off Lighting: Wavepoint 4 T5 HO's 54 watts each 6500 kelvin, Current Sat + LED I use this for night time viewing just use the cloud cover setting. Sometimes do a burst of light from 11 to 2 just for kicks, seems to help pearling.

Substrate: Aquariumplants.com soft belly

Little fish: 12 Rummynose 10 Harlequin rasboras 5 Brass tetras 8 Brilliant red tailed rasboras, 3 different plecos Super Red Bristlenose, Blue Phantom, Long fin lemon drop, at least 20 cory's 5 different kinds, 15 or so Amanos, hundreds of Sakura and Fire Red cherry shrimp.

Filtration: FX5 with this setup:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/COMPLE...6_p/co2-a1.htm

Also run a hydor 550 power head from 7 am to 1030 pm.

Dose EI, 50% water changes weekly.

Here are some crappy phone pics I just took.

I am also a huge eheim fan have 2217 2215 eheim pro 2 2028, 2026, 2 g160s and G65
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411936010770.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	393858  

Name:	20141119_214600.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	393866  

Name:	20141119_214451.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	393882  

Last edited by caique; 11-20-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode