Versa top and T5HO light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Versa top and T5HO light

Got a couple versa tops recently for my 75 gallon... I've had this issue before... but has anyone had a problem with the versa top somewhat blocking light from your light source? I swear it looks darker in my tank than it did without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes it does. Its called light refraction. However the lids will keep moister of the lighting and stop evaporation. Trust me when i say its worth just keeping them on unless you are hanging the light up atleast 6" above the surface
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Is it because of the lid itself on there? Or the black trim on the lid?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Is it because of the lid itself on there? Or the black trim on the lid?
Both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What I don't like avout the versa top is the dark hinge which blocks light. You think they could've used clear plastic...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a fairly old 75 gal and an 80 gal that both have glass center support approx. eight to ten inches wide,and also take the versa top glass cover's.
Can't say the glass tops hamper my low tech affairs much at all ,but have noted that the plant's growing directly under the center support's for the tanks which have become hazy due to age,condnesation, grow a bit slower due to the hazy condition of the glass center support's (Ludwigia repen's, crypt balansae,and watersprite).
I chose to remove the versa tops,and I hung my quad T5 fixture seven to nine inches above the surface of the water which gives me a bit more PAR without pushing the CO2 requirement's of the largely slow growing plant's in the tank(s) with the exception of the Ludwigia.
I used to clean the glass tops each week ,to help keep them from becoming hazy looking like the center support's but removed these tops some month's ago cause I got tired of cleaning the glass tops of three or four tanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
I hate glass tops. They are such a pita to keep clean. You think it blocks light now just wait a few weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have read that as much as 25 to 35 % decrease in light intensity with clean glass tops.
This could actually prove to be of some benefit for those running too much light with no ability to increase CO2 accordingly.
Plant's can actually adapt fairly well to less light than folks think they need in high tech or low tech.
CO2 on the other hand,must be on par with amount of light being used.
Would not sweat the lighting loss due to glass tops unless I was bordering on levels of light below LCP(Light compensation point) of plant's .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Got a couple versa tops recently for my 75 gallon... I've had this issue before... but has anyone had a problem with the versa top somewhat blocking light from your light source? I swear it looks darker in my tank than it did without it.
Hi Blackheart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum. GSAS has a PAR meter so I used it to do some quantitative measurements on your subject. The results were interesting.

I used my standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top. With new bulbs in the fixture and no glass top the PAR = 110; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101. All readings were taken at the substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture.

dirty* = lots of dried water spots on top, condensation; dust

So in answer to your question it does block light; a dirty* glass top reduces light by about 13%; a clean glass top reduces it by about 8%.....not a much as some might think.

30 gal w/Versatop and AH Supply DIY 2X36 watt

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's crazy. I hate versa tops honestly. But I can't really think of any alternatives to them. And my water evaporates far too quickly to not use a top. I'm considering maybe even doing a DIY glass top method, the sliding ones. But I don't know if that would be any better.

Last edited by Blackheart; 11-19-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: ...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode