Brown stuff on plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brown stuff on plants

Most of the leaves of all the plants in one of my tanks have brown stuff on them. I thought before that it was just because I was using internal filters and nothing was really being pulled out, but I've got two canister filters now and I still can't keep the plants clean. If I reach in and gently rub the leaves, it comes off and there's lots of green underneath most of the time. On some of the leaves though, I clean off the brown stuff and find a clear leaf, so I clip it off. How can I get this under control? My amazon sword seems to be affected the most by it right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like diatoms mate.... I would cruise over to the algae sub-forum, and read away.
I'm starting to win the fight against my diatoms now I think.
Rub off as much as you can before water changes 1-2x per week.
Try and keep plants healthy with adequate light and ferts and water movement.
Get some otocinclus catfish to eat the stuff.... (best idea)

Lee
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
That sounds like diatoms.

You can buy otocinclus to eat them.

EDIT: +1 Lee739

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Diatoms sounds right is it a new tank? Cut back on feeding it's caused usually by silicates & phosphate in the water u could add a silicate remover to your filters to help 8/10 times it's from over feeding, turn off filter wipe as much as you can off plants glass what ever it's growing on give it a few min to settle to bottom then vacuum add new water and turn filters back on it's not a one time fix usually takes 3-4 times to get it back in check over a couple weeks That's how I take care of it if & when it shows up in my tanks
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree that it sounds like diatoms.

However there are a lot of theories as to WHAT causes them. Filter media that will strip the Silicate from the water column will also strip the phosphates, phosphates are a key nutrient in healthy plant growth.

Time and good tank hygiene is the key to winning the protracted battle with diatoms. The short of it is, knock as much loose as you can, from plants, hard scape, equipment, and glass, THEN do a partial water change. Do small WCs several times a week is good for over all tank health.

Here's a thread discussing diatoms https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=723809
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Planted Member

In an effort not to make another thread about possibly the same thing. I have a different kind of brown stuff on my plants. I've seen the diatoms, wiped them off. But I also have what looks like dust balls that settle on the plant leaves, which can easily be brushed off with just a paint brush.

I don't have much water movement at all in my tank, so what could be settling that looks like dust? I thought waste but, it's all over 2 of the plants and that would be a lot of waste for 1 fish and a tiny frog.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Planted Member

Snail droppings can be bigger than you think, and often get left on plant leaves. Just simply brush or vacuum it off. Could also just be random debris from decomposing plant matter.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In an effort not to make another thread about possibly the same thing. I have a different kind of brown stuff on my plants. I've seen the diatoms, wiped them off. But I also have what looks like dust balls that settle on the plant leaves, which can easily be brushed off with just a paint brush.

I don't have much water movement at all in my tank, so what could be settling that looks like dust? I thought waste but, it's all over 2 of the plants and that would be a lot of waste for 1 fish and a tiny frog.
its waste, i didn't clean my canister on my 75g for almost 3 months and it began showing up on my anubias, ferns, hygro, crypts.. I then cleaned the filter and pretty much 24 hours later most of it was gone.

same stuff, dust balls very easy to remove from plant. not diatoms. its because of dirty tank.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
its waste, i didn't clean my canister on my 75g for almost 3 months and it began showing up on my anubias, ferns, hygro, crypts.. I then cleaned the filter and pretty much 24 hours later most of it was gone.

same stuff, dust balls very easy to remove from plant. not diatoms. its because of dirty tank.

Wow, that's it, I can't believe it would build up that quickly. I do 25% water changes twice a week. I also clean the filter every other water change.

I think I need to look for a better filter, thanks for the answer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

One thing I noticed, on my last filter clean out I didn't replace the fine filter. I simples used my sintered balls and ceramic tubes with the course sponge. I leaving that fine filter out created more flow but hurt filtration. Filter was extremely dirty compared to normal. 3 months was far too long. Normally do 1 month.

Another thing I do is use so.ething like a turkey baster before a water change and puff water at the substrate to get debris floating. I then do a WC and remove most of it. I do this every 3 months. My tank is usually really really clean and clear.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
What canisters do you use?

How big is the tank?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

Old thread but when I used a silica phosphate remover, it gave my tank a good case of Green Spot from low phosphate levels. Also, I bought some Amano shrimp and they worked quiker than the oto cats did
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Whoops! Forgot about this thread with final exams here and the flu that always comes around the busy holidays lol. It's definitely diatoms and I'm sort of getting them under control....sorta. I just keep cleaning and changing water. I do the turkey baster thing too! I mostly use it to puff water under plants where I can't get the vacuum in, but I've started using it after rubbing diatoms off of plant leaves as well.

As for filters, I have a couple sunsuns on this tank. The filters are indeed new, but the media inside was not. I used cycled course sponges I already had for large particles, cycled poly fill I already had for small particles and cycled K1 kaldness I had as well. I had problems with soil though, so I scrubbed down the sponges and poly fill :/ They're no longer cycled. The water I used to clean them is filtered to removed chlorine and chloramines (a shower filter I got to keep chlorine out of my hair), but it was hot so all the bacteria would have died. The tank's still ok though. I didn't wash off the kaldnes, so the important bio filter is still cycled and has been doing fine.

As for adding some helpful creatures to the tank, amanos are my favorite shrimp! I would love to put them in the tank! I think they'd get eaten though And my lfs charges more than $5 per shrimp!! For that price, they must talk or sing show tunes or something lol. I wouldn't know because I won't pay my lfs's wacky prices for anything except in an emergency. If I ordered them online, they'd come as babies and DEFINITELY get eaten. The only chance they'd have is their size as full grown adults. Might get some otos though. They're cute I've been saving up for some super awesome bristlenose plecos that I want. I think they'd do well against the diatoms, but it'll probably take more time than I'm willing to wait for me to afford them.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Otos work well, aside from that a bit of time and it will resolve itself, just keep rubbing it off of the plants and hard-scape do your WCs and diatoms eventually go away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode