Your Opinions Please... My first Planted Tank (75G) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Your Opinions Please... My first Planted Tank (75G)

So I'm about 3+ weeks into my first planted tank and am looking for further ideas before I call it complete.

I tried to layout a nice multi-level arrangement, and I'm not thrilled, nor disappointed... If I could do anything over, I would of used less height and space in my big plateau. (left) (Just so I could have more space for more fish)

I'm sorry I can't tell you all the plants I got, but some are R Macandra, Ludwiga Ovalis, Bacopa, some cheap tall background plant, maybe sprites? Some nice little leafy plant, and one mini-sword/crypt looking thing maybe? haha, sorry I'm a newb!

So far fish stock:
4 Julii Corys
2 Sterbai... (supposed to be 2 more Julii's but the fish store screwed up and I didn't look over shoulder when bagged) :-/
3 denison barbs (I hear I should get 3+ more... but I'd rather not for space)
8 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Pearl Danio that is an immortal.
2 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Turquoise Rainbows
2 Cryptoheros Sajicas
1 Ottocinclus (heard I should buy more.. guess I can)

Fish questions/points:
FYI I was thinking I might sell the rainbows... I have buyers waiting, I just am having second thoughts. They do look nice in the tank... I just kind of want more space, and a change sometimes.

I am leaning towards buying a big school of rummy nose tetras, but part of me just says to go all in on Harlequin rasboras. Thoughts on that?
I am thinking to maybe if I get rid of rainbows that I could get bolivian rams, or apistogramma(s). That is if these fish could fit in with my Sajicas.

As of now the Sajicas are small/young. One is definitely chasing the other around, but neither could care less about the rest of the tank.

Any suggested scaping ideas? Plant ideas? Fish suggestions?

Enjoy the pics, (sorry, just crappy cell pics bc I'm too lazy for real camera!) hope I done good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
excellent really impressive
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Stick with the rainbows, they are in my opinion the best freshwater fish. As far as the Otto, why do u even have it, u already have corys? In my tank, i only have 3 Denison barbs.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Welcome to the club!

I'm actually liking your 'big plateau!'

My thoughts about it woud be that it has a lot of potential for additional flora. In all of the crevices created with the stones, you can stuff/wedge some mosses, anubias (nana & nana petite), hygrophila pinnatifida, ferns( philippine java, boblbitis heudelottii mini, windelov, pretty much anything that would stay in scale of your scape).

Now at the base of both islands you can also tie on some of the plants mentioned above to smaller stones using green thread, fishing line or zip ties and methodically place around the base. Or go all out and do an entire row of Anubias nana petite and create a nice bushy hedge look at the base. Since all of these plants mentioned can attach to the stones with their roots, you can easily move them around till you find the right place for them.

You can also do the same with the driftwood and tie some of those plants onto it as well.

Now for the fish, I would increase the population of your harlequins. I personally like the purple harlequins. And definitely add more Ottos and maybe some Nerites, you'll need an algae control team. If you like schooling fish, I suggest a big school of pygmy cories (corydoras pygmaeus), they shoal pretty tightly. I'd keep the Rainbow in there as your centerpiece fish.

Thank you for sharing with us!

~Tyrone~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Looks nice. I agree with some anubias wedged into the rock crevices, or even java ferns. I would add something like crypts to the mid ground just in front of the rocks, esp on the right side. Compact hygro would also be a nice choice. Here's the official name. Petco usually has it in tubes labeled something something compacta iirc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Welcome to the club!

I'm actually liking your 'big plateau!'

My thoughts about it woud be that it has a lot of potential for additional flora. In all of the crevices created with the stones, you can stuff/wedge some mosses, anubias (nana & nana petite), hygrophila pinnatifida, ferns( philippine java, boblbitis heudelottii mini, windelov, pretty much anything that would stay in scale of your scape).

Now at the base of both islands you can also tie on some of the plants mentioned above to smaller stones using green thread, fishing line or zip ties and methodically place around the base. Or go all out and do an entire row of Anubias nana petite and create a nice bushy hedge look at the base. Since all of these plants mentioned can attach to the stones with their roots, you can easily move them around till you find the right place for them.

You can also do the same with the driftwood and tie some of those plants onto it as well.

Now for the fish, I would increase the population of your harlequins. I personally like the purple harlequins. And definitely add more Ottos and maybe some Nerites, you'll need an algae control team. If you like schooling fish, I suggest a big school of pygmy cories (corydoras pygmaeus), they shoal pretty tightly. I'd keep the Rainbow in there as your centerpiece fish.

Thank you for sharing with us!
Damn, that's some good advice, thanks for taking the time out to help and give me your thoughts!
Pygmy Cories? How is it that I haven't seen them before! I love cories, but I don't like mixing too much... But when I googled these pygmies just now they seem really awesome, but different than other cories?! Like, they look more like a fish/tetra? They even swim a lot more it seems than regular cories? Am I right on this assumptions from the youtube vids I saw? I kinda want to trade my juliis in for these. They look awesome!

Great call on stuffing cracks/crevices. I totally should, and I guess that's now on my to do list! I had intentions to get a plant to fit in the crevice/glade in the smaller plateau (right side), you can't see it from the pics I took, but there's a perfect, long glade behind that front standing flat rock. I like that anubias plant for that I think. Maybe I can get more anubias in other cracks on other side.

Good recommendations on the tying stuff to stones, that sounds cool. I'll look that up more, maybe give it a shot too.

Seems like most want me to keep the rainbows... but I just don't know! When the Sajica get big I think it will be time to say adios to the rainbows, I just don't want that many BIG fish in the tank I think.
So you're one of the rare Harlequin over Rummy people, eh? haha I ran a poll on another thread between those two, most say to go with Rummy. I like the looks of Harlequin over Rummy, but I like the behavior of Rummy better.

Big decisions, haha

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
Stick with the rainbows, they are in my opinion the best freshwater fish. As far as the Otto, why do u even have it, u already have corys? In my tank, i only have 3 Denison barbs.
I got the otto because he's little and will work on algae? I don't like big algae eaters... he's pretty chill too, nothing phases him.
I was told in previous thread to get more denison barbs and 3 wasn't enough, but I think 3 look happy and good... further they get big, so I think I will hope that the 3 workout for me, too!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

Ottos eat algae, cories maybe once in a while but not often.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Opinions Please... My first Planted Tank (75G)

My pleasure. Yeah, those Pygmy Cory's have character huh. There are several species of dwarf Corydoras ( Hastatus and Hasbrosus are the others I only know of). I like Rummynose too, but I prefer the Asian Rummynose. I guess I like the not too typical fish to live in my scapes. If you like rainbows, I find the furcatas, feather fins and paskai's very attractive. But they are of the smaller type. I guess it comes back to preference, since I'm into nano tanks at the moment. But I will soon get back into larger aquascaping.

Can't wait to see what you do!

~Tyrone~

Last edited by Tyrone; 11-18-2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: jejs
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just wanted to say that my favorite part of your scape is the little tiny ledge in front of the big plateau (to the far left). I think it looks really neat in front of the big plateau with the darker colored barrier.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOK View Post
Just wanted to say that my favorite part of your scape is the little tiny ledge in front of the big plateau (to the far left). I think it looks really neat in front of the big plateau with the darker colored barrier.
Thanks a lot! I had that idea last week and just added it in! I'm happy with it too, probably going to do something similar on other side.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Planted Member

Beautiful work and it'll grow in nicely. Totally agree with comments on the Anubias wedged into crevices.

I think with your open water areas you've got great opportunity to get a good school going. Maybe focus on only a few key species. Otocinclus love company and at least 5 in a school will swim together well and make a dent on any algae outbreaks.

Corys also school well. And pygmy Corys are awesome little personality fish.

I've had a nightmare with using mosses as they grow so fast and spread. When you trim them the cuttings (even tiny shards) will wedge themselves in crevices and on wood and if left unchecked your whole tank will be a moss pit.

Fissidens is slower growing, looks nice in bushes attached to rocks and wood.

Good luck. Looking forward to see this grow out.

- Rob

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay180 View Post
Ottos eat algae, cories maybe once in a while but not often.
Ottos don't eat all types of algae so one needs to be careful. The are great a diatoms though. Cories are not algae eaters.

O.P., nice start to the tank. Its not too cluttered. Your center piece driftwood is almost too centered though. It doesn't have that, the driftwood just fell and settled naturally look. I think your trying to get it too perfect. Play around with it a bit. If your sold on it being there in its current state, adding a plant that thrives on rocks/driftwood surfaces would mask the centered look and give it a planted arch look.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Last edited by flight50; 11-21-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: -
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh yeah, in addition to the 'natural look' flight50 mentioned, adding a little bit of small pebbles of various sizes around the bases of your plateaus to add a little detail to the scape would be nice. Not entirely but here and there...

~Tyrone~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode