HOB Filter for 30 Gallon Long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
HOB Filter for 30 Gallon Long

I have 2 30 Gallon Long, tanks that I am using for QT, when needed, hold extra plants, or extra fish. Neither tank never seems very clean. Both tanks are bare bottom.

They both have 1 AquaClear 50, which should be more than enough. I have sponge filter and bio-media that comes with it. Nothing else. Should I change the media out or add something new? I was also thinking maybe I should upgrade them to AquaClear 70 to fit more media in them?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20g Long and it is on the weaker side (which I was looking for with fish that appreciate less water movement). It doesn't do a good job getting stuff off the bottom or reaching the ends of the tank, so vacuuming is more important. What gunk/particles do go into the filter, it does a good job of keeping in there, so I think adding different/more media won't solve your issue.

Maybe you could run both AC50s on one 30L, and grab something more powerful for the other?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOK View Post
I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20g Long and it is on the weaker side (which I was looking for with fish that appreciate less water movement). It doesn't do a good job getting stuff off the bottom or reaching the ends of the tank, so vacuuming is more important. What gunk/particles do go into the filter, it does a good job of keeping in there, so I think adding different/more media won't solve your issue.

Maybe you could run both AC50s on one 30L, and grab something more powerful for the other?
Thanks for the info, That not a bad idea trying both on one. Any suggestions in regards to what you would use for the new one though?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone else have any thoughts on this, I would really like to buy some new filters this weekend.

Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 29g. I use a Marineland penguin 350 with the Bio wheels. Outflow is from 2 sides with 2 slots per side for media. I use filter floss for 1 slot and I bought the tray for the 2nd slot which I filled with Seachem matrix. I do this for both sides. The wheels make a little noise but not enough to bother me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiro View Post
I have a 29g. I use a Marineland penguin 350 with the Bio wheels. Outflow is from 2 sides with 2 slots per side for media. I use filter floss for 1 slot and I bought the tray for the 2nd slot which I filled with Seachem matrix. I do this for both sides. The wheels make a little noise but not enough to bother me.
I also have a 29. I use two Penguin 200 filters and they do a very good job. I don't have biowheels on them because they wore out and I don't feel like wasting money to replace them.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I run sponge filters in all my tanks, along with AquaClear HOBs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
I run 2 fluval c4 filters on my 30 and love them. I like them more then the aquaclear or marineland filters.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have Marineland Penguin Biowheels (of varying sizes) as well. They are definitely on the noisy side, but they create far more water movement (surface and also subsurface) than equivalent aquaclears if thats what you're looking for. They're also pretty affordable in comparison to other HOBs, at least in Ontario retailers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode