Beginner looking for help identifying plants and what new plants to add - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beginner looking for help identifying plants and what new plants to add

So, this whole adventure started out because my daughter wanted a fish tank, and after several months, and lots and lots of reading and research we have a stable, cycled 10 gallon tank that houses a Betta and an African Dwarf Frog.

We have live plants in the tank, but I didn't read much about keeping live plants in an aquarium, so we went to several stores and just picked up some stuff we thought would look nice in the tank. Of course, I never considered any of the plants needs as far as water condition, fertilizers, lighting needs. Now, I'm not having any problems with the plants as of now.

I have a general idea of what most of the stuff is, but maybe could use some help identifying exactly what I have so I can better take care of it.

1) Anubius of some sort tied to a rock front left of the tank
2) Some sort of sword plant in the back (it came in a plastic tube on the shelf at Petco and has grown pretty substantially in the past month)
3)banana plants - they seem to make nice leaves, but the tubers always look so sickly (these were given to us for free from one of the stores because they weren't doing good in the tanks they had.
4)hornwort
5)moss ball
6)no idea what the big plant is front right.

Hood has 2 CFL 13W 6500k bulbs in it that run ~10 hours a day. Only stuff I use for the plants is Flourish.

I'm looking for ideas of what to add to the tank, or if you see some glaring problems point them out for me. We really appreciate the help.

Tank as it sits today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice looking tank. I have a 10gal that use 2 of those exact CFLs.
One potential "problem", the sword. It will grow... 10 gal is too small. I have one in a 75 gal and it will easily occupy on third of it.

Is there a reason to keep the water level low?

You will probably have same problem everyone has.... one tank is never enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guck View Post
Nice looking tank. I have a 10gal that use 2 of those exact CFLs.
One potential "problem", the sword. It will grow... 10 gal is too small. I have one in a 75 gal and it will easily occupy on third of it.

Is there a reason to keep the water level low?

You will probably have same problem everyone has.... one tank is never enough
I figured that about the sword plant, it came as 3 little leaves in the tube and I can see how it can grow way too much for my little tank.

The water level is where it's at because the HOB filter I have two suction cups on so it sits below the hood.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The water level is where it's at because the HOB filter I have two suction cups on so it sits below the hood.
Ok, but your filter looks like an internal filter (if it's what I see on the right hand side). HOB is hang on back. Normally on the glass behind the tank.

|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Ok, but your filter looks like an internal filter (if it's what I see on the right hand side). HOB is hang on back. Normally on the glass behind the tank.
oh, well this is the filter I have. If I move it any higher then the top won't close.
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-25816-Whisper-BioScrubber-10-Gallon/dp/B0002DHYF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416188268&sr=8-1&keywords=tetra+whisper+10i
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh interesting to know. I see on the bos it is not meant to be fully submerged. So it's like if it was too high for a 10 gal tank if one wants to close the top

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Oh interesting to know. I see on the bos it is not meant to be fully submerged. So it's like if it was too high for a 10 gal tank if one wants to close the top
I just have to keep the water level down a bit in an effort to keep everything nice looking. I could take off the top suction cup and put on the hook it came with that hooks on the side of the tank, but then I couldn't close my hood all the way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can I get some ideas on what to add next? I'd like some kind of foreground plant, and some short grassy plants. I think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode