Starting Over - What would you do? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting Over - What would you do?

I first kept fish when I was in middle school. I brought home a goldfish that had been used in an experiment at school. It stayed in a bowl for a while then I got a 10 gallon tank for Christmas. I kept various fish in that tank up until I went to college. I thought I did pretty well to have successfully raised fry in there. Oh what I have learned since!

Currently I have an Eclipse System Six with nothing more than a Java Fern in there with EcoComplete substrate. I also have a 25 gallon tank I'd like to set up. I have the Eclipse 2 hood to put on it, though I know that'll limit me to fairly low light plants. I have enough EcoComplete to be the substrate. I'm keeping an eye out for rocks and drift wood for some hardscaping before I actually get it up and running though.

I have two sources of water. Our well water gets treated by a water softener and a UV light before getting to the taps. The untreated water has a GH of 161.1 ppm while the treated water has a GH of 17.9ppm. Both have a pH of 7.8.

I also have a pond that I could get dirt or water from seasonally. The ducks make sure that no plants grow in it, but despite the ducks there are salamanders, frogs, and plenty of insects. Duckweed is definitely on my list of plants to get! Again, since I put some on the pond this summer and the ducks ate it all up! I'll just have to have some in the tanks so I can feed the ducks a treat every once in a while!

I'd love to get some opinions from folks here for what they'd do if they were in my place. In order to avoid your own past mistakes, how would you set up this tank?

Last edited by Ghislaine; 11-15-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added GH and pH info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What's the water hardness where you are? Fish choosing depends on how hard the water from your tap is, unless you're buying RO/DI and reconstituting to specific gH and pH values.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like a perfect shrimp tank, moss is as about low light as you get, hardy, and beautiful. Shrimp love it too

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have two sources of water. Our well water gets treated by a water softener and a UV light before getting to the taps. The untreated water has a GH of 161.1 ppm while the treated water has a GH of 17.9ppm. Both have a pH of 7.8.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, how cool that I can update the original post!

I also have a Marimo Ball in a .5g bowl. The EcoComplete I threw in there was old and dried out so I'm not sure it was the best choice of substrate. The water is kinda black colored.

Tags
25 gallon, beginner tank, eclipse six

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode