Planted tank questions, co2, lighting, feeding - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted tank questions, co2, lighting, feeding

Hello,
I’m new to this forum and have recently jumped back into keep fish and live plants. About 3 months ago I set up a 56 column tank with plants and fish. After running for about 2 months I found that the tank was not exactly what I had hoped for so I upgraded to a 72 Bowfront tank which I love!
I have a couple questions, but first here is all the pertinent information on the current tank.
Lighting:
48” Finnex Planted plus…runs on timer 8AM-8PM
30” Double T5 HO 31W 10,000K and 31W 6700K ….runs on timer 6am-5pm
I am considering adding a Finnex Monster Ray for color enhancement as well.
Filtration:
Fluval 305 (260GPH)
Marineland 400 (400gph)
I do 50% water change once a week (due to fish I keep)…”Prime” as de-chlorinator
Temp 84-86 F
PH 7.0
Water quality. ~10ppm Nitrate, 0 nitrite
Substrate:
Eco Complete and pea gravel
Plants: varying depth from 18”-21” from lights
Variety of Crypts
Amazon Sword
Brazillian Micro Sword
Hornwart
Valisneria
Water lettuce
Water hyssop bacopa
I am trying a variety of plants to see what thrives and what may not.
Suppliments:
Excel- 2 times a week
Flourish- 2 times a week…same day
Fish:
Discus
Rams
Celebes rainbows
Clown loaches

My questions are;
1. With this amount of light should I consider the addition of CO2?
2. If I add the Monster Ray does that change things, though it has a low PAR and is mostly for fish enhancement?
3. Should I consider the addition of other lighting for the plants I have?
4. Should I consider addition supplements?
Any other feedback or suggestions are welcome. I want to be success with the plants, and have a lush tank.

Last edited by rekab15; 11-12-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: change title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Am I right here - 120 odd watts of T5, plus the Finnex LEDs
I would go for CO2 for sure, you have a few $ invested there, would be a shame to not get the best out of it. I'd be concerned about an algae explosion also with that much light without CO2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab15 View Post
My questions are;
1. With this amount of light should I consider the addition of CO2?
2. If I add the Monster Ray does that change things, though it has a low PAR and is mostly for fish enhancement?
3. Should I consider the addition of other lighting for the plants I have?
4. Should I consider addition supplements?
Any other feedback or suggestions are welcome. I want to be success with the plants, and have a lush tank.

Hi! I'm not too experienced (I've only been at it a few months), but here's my take on a few of your questions:
1. Yes. CO2 does wonders for plants. Plenty of people say you can do low tech plants just fine, but the changes in my 20 long have been amazing since I incorporated pressurized CO2 a couple of weeks ago. I went the aquatek mini route, and it was around $150 for everything I needed.
2. Not sure about this.
3. I think you have enough lighting, but again, not too sure. I'm sure you could up it some, but remember if you get too much, you're definitely going to want pressurized co2.
4. Seachem Excel is a carbon supplement/co2 booster and should be dosed daily. Flourish is a micro supplement, so you're going to want a macro (N,P,K). You can do dry, you can do wet. The stuff in store is going to get extremely expensive. I ordered some pre-made macros and micros from a guy on here (look for this post on the for sale section: other Dry Ferts|Liquid Ferts|plus others...BACK IN BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!), and again, my plants are doing well. Not sure if it's the ferts or the co2 at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

It's only 62 watts and the finnex planted +. I've started getting some algae so I'm going back off on the flourish.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
Am I right here - 120 odd watts of T5, plus the Finnex LEDs
I would go for CO2 for sure, you have a few $ invested there, would be a shame to not get the best out of it. I'd be concerned about an algae explosion also with that much light without CO2.
It's only 62 watts and the finnex planted +. I've started getting some algae so I'm going back off on the flourish.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhism View Post
Hi! I'm not too experienced (I've only been at it a few months), but here's my take on a few of your questions:
1. Yes. CO2 does wonders for plants. Plenty of people say you can do low tech plants just fine, but the changes in my 20 long have been amazing since I incorporated pressurized CO2 a couple of weeks ago. I went the aquatek mini route, and it was around $150 for everything I needed.
2. Not sure about this.
3. I think you have enough lighting, but again, not too sure. I'm sure you could up it some, but remember if you get too much, you're definitely going to want pressurized co2.
4. Seachem Excel is a carbon supplement/co2 booster and should be dosed daily. Flourish is a micro supplement, so you're going to want a macro (N,P,K). You can do dry, you can do wet. The stuff in store is going to get extremely expensive. I ordered some pre-made macros and micros from a guy on here (look for this post on the for sale section: other Dry Ferts|Liquid Ferts|plus others...BACK IN BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!), and again, my plants are doing well. Not sure if it's the ferts or the co2 at this point.
Thanks, I appreciate the feed back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't back off the flourish, the key to keeping alage at bay seems to be balancing lights ferts and co2, if anything lower lighting and increase dosing of the ferts

Tags
72gallon, co2, lighting, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode