3D backround - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
3D backround

Just received a background that I ordered a few days ago, would you all agree that the only place this thing shoul be is in the bin? I'm thinking of trying to spray it all matt black but what spray would I use? Its not what was on the website but I haven't got time fof reposting and all that, is there anything I can do with this tacky peice of... to make it look any better? You can't see it in the photo but there is a lot of almost illuminous green pretend algae, its awful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-12-17-50-46-1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	390762  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
must be an awful picture....as it looks fine to me.

you can look up the DIY concrete paint stuff that those guys use to darken it up some i'm sure

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
How much did it cost and from where, if you don't mind me asking?

I say, try it out first. Just place it in without attaching it, it may look differently under water with the light. Who knows, you may end up liking it!

~Tyrone~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Last project I helped with, we used Drylock masony sealer and Quickrete concrete dye to color it, but I'd agree you'd be best off checking first to see how it looks underwater with your regular lighting. The "strong" color combinations we used on that project ended up being deadly dull once installed and we ended up bumping up the color choices/contrast several times to get a good final result.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What's wrong with it? I think it looks pretty neat?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It cost me 20/$31.57 and I got it from eBay, but you're very far away so it may cost more for you, I'll admit the picture does look alright, but IRL its got bright green on it and it looks tacky and fake, I may try it in a tank or maybe look up that other stuff you all said to cover the colours up, if you like it and you have bigger tanks, it does have a sort of grove in the sides for joining it up. You guys saying its alright has kind of made me hate it a big less haha!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
The design itself is decent. Once you do the underwater test with the light you're going to use and still don't like it. Then my suggestion would just to do a DSM (dry start method) of your choice of moss, covering over the areas you dislike. When all of that is done and you've filled the tank, plants are growing and the moss has filled in those areas, I bet you'll like that background even more!

Good luck!

~Tyrone~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
The design itself is decent. Once you do the underwater test with the light you're going to use and still don't like it. Then my suggestion would just to do a DSM (dry start method) of your choice of moss, covering over the areas you dislike. When all of that is done and you've filled the tank, plants are growing and the moss has filled in those areas, I bet you'll like that background even more!

Good luck!
I have actually got 50g of weeping moss coming in the post, that may be what I do, I will see what it looks like tomorrow underwater though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll take your word on the color, but the shape/structure of the background looks pretty decent.

I wouldn't worry too much about the color either, as I imagine you'll get a bunch of algae growing on it eventually.

Otherwise, you might be able to give it give it a couple really light 'dustings' with krylon fusion. Not enough to actually paint it, just to add some speckles of whatever color, and hopefully mute the bright colors you don't like.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Last project I helped with, we used Drylock masony sealer and Quickrete concrete dye to color it, but I'd agree you'd be best off checking first to see how it looks underwater with your regular lighting. The "strong" color combinations we used on that project ended up being deadly dull once installed and we ended up bumping up the color choices/contrast several times to get a good final result.
+1

I put a lot of effort into creating good colors on my concrete background, but now that its been installed for ~6 months, you can hardly tell what original color I had it, and there's tons of algae growth all over it (not in a bad way, looks very natural).

I'm pretty sure once you have that inside the tank for a month or 2, the colors will be muted and will probably look closer to what you want.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Otherwise, you might be able to give it give it a couple really light 'dustings' with krylon fusion. Not enough to actually paint it, just to add some speckles of whatever color, and hopefully mute the bright colors you don't like.
Krylon doesn't stick well to "slick" surfaces. My bet would be the Krylon will slowly flake and fall off over time. That's what happens when you try to paint PVC without sanding it rough first, and my bet is that this background has some sort of epoxy coating on it that Krylon won't stick to unless its sanded rough, and its probably not a good idea to sand down the epoxy coating.

DIY Enthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode